Fairhaven Spring Tour Schedule

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

FairhavenGuy

Fairhaven Spring Tour Schedule

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Fairhaven Office of Tourism
announces spring tour schedule

FAIRHAVEN—With the warmer weather here, it is the time to get out of the house to learn about local history. The Fairhaven Office of Tourism announces the schedule for the thirteenth season of spring walking tours.

The tours are given in four different areas: the “Poverty Point” or Oxford neighborhood, the town center, Fort Phoenix and River-Side Cemetery. On each walk, stories are told about the people and events of the particular area while seeing the places where the history actually took place.

Each of the walks lasts about 90 minutes. They are held weather permitting. The tours are presented free of charge. For more information about the tours, or for directions, call 508-979-4085.

Saturday, April 26
Fort Phoenix Minuteman Tour
Starts at Hurricane Barrier, Fort Street, Fairhaven
2:00 p.m.

Listen to an authentically dressed colonial militiaman tell stories of the history of Fort Phoenix from the Revolutionary War through the Civil War. This tour includes a flintlock musket firing demonstration and discussion of women’s and men’s clothing and the equipment a militiaman carried. Guides: Christopher Richard and members of the Fairhaven Village Militia

Saturday, May 10
Poverty Point Walking Tour
Begins at Old Stone Schoolhouse, 40 North St., Fairhaven

Take a guided, ninety-minute walk through what was one of the earliest village settlements in Fairhaven. Learn about Manjiro Nakahama, Capt. Joshua Slocum, Elder Joseph Bates and more. The Old Stone Schoolhouse will be open for viewing before the tour. Guide: Christopher Richard.

Saturday, May 17
Fairhaven Center Walking Tour
Begins at Leonard E. Pierce Memorial Park,
corner of South and Fort streets, Fairhaven

This guided, ninety-minute walk in Fairhaven center highlights the histories of some of the homes and buildings dating from the 1830s to the beginning of the 20th Century. Learn about Henry H. Rogers, the Delano family, churches, “moving houses” and more. Guide: Christopher Richard

Sunday, May 25
River-Side Cemetery Tour
Starts inside the main gate of River-Side Cemetery,
270 Main Street, Fairhaven

Created in 1850 by Warren Delano II, the grandfather of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, this is one of the most beautiful rural-style cemeteries in Massachusetts. The tour visits the final resting places of some of the town’s most prominent people. The Rogers mausoleum and the Delano family tomb are also on the route. You’ll also see lovely examples of early tombstone art as you walk along the beautifully landscaped paths. This tour includes walking on uneven ground. Comfortable walking shoes are suggested. Guide: Sandy Main.
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Thanks for the schedule, Chris. I really hope I can get to one or two of your tours this year.