Truesdale Hospital

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Fargo

Truesdale Hospital

Post by Fargo »

Does anyone know if the Truesdale Hospital, where Lizzie had gall bladder surgery in 1926, is still there.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Yes Fargo. As far as I know it is still there way up on Highland Ave. near St. Patrick's Cemetary where Highland Ave meets Robeson St. It is apartments now I belive. Well at least thats the case the last time I was in fall River. I remember the Truesdale very well from when it was still a hospital.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Harry

Post by Harry »

When we were there in Aug. 06 they were working on converting it. You can see the ladders to the right in this photo:

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I'm glad it's still there.

When our old hospital was replaced there was nothing wrong with the old structure, they just wanted a bigger hospital. They built the new hospital at a different location. The old hospital was torn down and guess what was built on the site right after? Apartments.

I did a search on yahoo for Truesdale hospital in Fall River but the only thing I found was that it had merged with another hospital. I didn't know if the building was still there. Perhaps of they kept good hospital records we could find out which room Lizzie had.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

The son of Truesdale Hospital founder dies

Philemon E. Truesdale Jr.
Philemon E. Truesdale Jr. “Pete” of Westport, Massachusetts died Saturday, May 3, 2008 in New Bedford, MA at age 85. He was the husband of Nancy (Clemens) Crosby of New Bedford, MA, the late Patricia (Short) Truesdale and former husband of Mary (Skidmore) Truesdale of New York City.
Born in Fall River, MA, he was the son of the late Dr. Philemon Truesdale, founder of the former Truesdale Hospital in Fall River and the late Minna (Dickenson) Truesdale. After spending his youth in Fall River, he was a graduate of The Middlesex School in Concord, MA (Class of 1940) and attended Harvard College (Class of 1944).
During World War II he served as a pilot in the United States Army Air Corp with the 9th Air Force 387th group. He flew 36 missions in his B26 in the European Theater, receiving the Air Medal with 6 Oak Leaf Clusters, the African Middle Eastern Service Medal and the Distinguished Unit Badge.
After World War II he resided in New York City for 40 years, where he founded, owned and operated The Truesdale Chemical Sales Co. After retiring, he moved to Prout’s Neck, Maine and then to New Bedford, Padanaram and Westport Harbor, Massachusetts where he had summered since childhood.
A multi-talented athlete in his younger days, he loved sailing on Buzzards Bay, playing golf, tennis, paddle tennis and was a champion squash player. His love of flying in his Cessna 210 (56ECHO) took him all over the United States. He is well remembered for his weekly buzz over Westport Harbor. Pete (fondly known as “Bear”) loved the Harbor. He was a constant presence in Westport doing his circuit in his blue Cadillac or on his orange mower. Above all else, Pete was devoted to and protective of his large extended family and was happiest when surrounded by family and friends.
Mr. Truesdale was a past President of the Acoaxet Club in Westport, a supporter of the Fall River YMCA, a member and on the board of the Fall River United Way, a member of the Board of the former Truesdale Hospital, a member of Spindle Rock Club and Elephant Rock Beach Club in Westport and a past member of the Wamsutta Lunch Club in New Bedford. He was also a member of The Harvard Club in New York and Boston, The Chemist Club of New York City, The Short Hills Club and the Baltusrol Golf Club both in New Jersey and was former Chairman of the Referees Committee of the United States Squash Racquets Association. He served as a long time trustee of the Truesdale Family Trust and Farm on Brayton Point Road in Westport Harbor, MA.
Surviving in addition to his wife: daughters Barbara Truesdale Wisbach of Westport, MA, Cynthia Truesdale Krause and her husband William F. Krause M.D. of New Hartford, NY, his son Philemon E. Truesdale III and his wife Barbara P. Truesdale of New Rochelle, NY, his sisters Lilian T. Wallace of Fairfield, Iowa and Elinor Marvell of Little Compton, RI, his grandchildren Heidi Wisbach, Gordon Wisbach III M.D., Jessica Krause Smith, Sara Krause Inati M.D., Kathryn Krause Kirk, William D. Krause, Meredith Truesdale, Philemon E. “Teddy” Truesdale IV, Scott Truesdale, his great-grandchildren Ryan, Kyle and Ella Wisbach and many nieces and nephews. He was the brother of the late Elizabeth Philippi, Mary Carney, Robert and John Truesdale.
His Memorial Service will be held Saturday, May 17, 2008 at noon in United Congregational Church, The Commons, Little Compton, RI. Memorial contributions may be made to Fall River YMCA, 199 No. Main St. Fall River, MA 02720 or Westport Fishermans Assn., P.O. Box 83, Westport Point, MA 02791. Arrangements in the care of WARING-SULLIVAN HOME OF MEMORIAL TRIBUTE Fall River, MA.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Thanks for posting the obituart for Pete Truedale. I had missed it locally and just learned of his death form some neighbors of his.

I had met him several times, Hee was a handsome, charming, and gracious person.