Fairhaven

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

Fairhaven

Post by Kat »

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/09 ... 3co340.htm

Harry found this item.
This is our Christopher!
Is this happening this weekend?
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Kat and Harry,

You guys are amazing. . .

Yes, beginning early tomorrow morning a group of us will be doing a two-day, outdoor version of "Colonial House," except with tomahawk throwing, musket firing and those five large cannon shooting at sundown.

We've been praying all week that the remains of Frances weren't going to make it up here to put a damper on things. All is clear. A beautiful weekend is being predicted.

My wife and another member of the Fairhaven Village Militia did the food shopping this afternoon. Everything will be cooked over the campfires. Of the dozen or so members of our group, six or seven of us will be spending Saturday night camped out in period-correct tents. We'll be on public view from about 10:00 a.m. tomorrow until about 3:00 p.m. on Sunday.

I have a Massachusetts license to fire cannon and this weekend it's my turn to be on the "match." I'll be the one who touches off the boom.

The cannon firing is Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. Anyone within driving distance is invited to come on by and take a look.

No computer this weekend. . .so you won't hear from me until it's over.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Good luck Chris and have fun!

Try not to aim the cannon at that certain house on Green Street. :smile:
Mark A.

Post by Mark A. »

So fairhavenguy is AKA Chris? Good, a name to go with the avatar. Was that you Chris, pictured in costume with a fairlady? I read the insert in Friday's Herald News and as soon as I saw the pic, I thought of you.
Anyhow, have fun. I'm sure you'll have a blast! get it? Blast.
Mark A.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Wow! How cool! Good find, Kat. Wish I lived in the area to check it out, sounds like a really cool event! Well, heres keeping my fingers crossed that you have great weather, Chris. BTW, what do you fire out of the cannons? I realize theres no cannonball in there, but, is the cannon loaded the same otherwise or is there just some explosive cap? :roll:
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Hi again,

Everything's packed and ready to go for tomorrow morning.

Mark A., The press release to the Fall River Herald included a photo of my wife Lori and I with our daughter Emily. That must be what they ran. I won't see that unless they send a copy with the bill for the ad I ran in that issue.

Susan, With both the muskets and the cannon we fire a charge of gunpowder only. The cannon are loaded with 18 oz. of black powder in a thin plastic bag wrapped in several thicknesses of aluminum foil. It ends up looking somewhat like a cannon ball. (We have to announce to the public that we are NOT firing a ball, lest they get the wrong idea.)

Harry, Fort Phoenix is right at the south end of Green Street, but the numbers start there, so 132 is quite a few blocks away to the north.
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

Awesome, Fairhaven Chris! Weather is great so far--hope it continues through the weekend.

Speaking of weather, how are our Floridians holding out? Ivan looks like a demon. Thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

--Lyddie
Kat

Post by Kat »

Today was BEAUTIFUL! The clouds were gorgeous and it was DRY and 84 degrees!
I went swimming!
Probably in Charley and Frances water, too! It was cold water!
It only takes 2 days for the pool to get cleaned up.
The guy over there is a whiz at it!
Today the For Sale sign said "Sale Pending." Uh Oh.

I hope Christopher had a good day and good weather! :smile:
Harry

Post by Harry »

Here's another article in todays South Coast Today, picturing Chris ready and determined to repel the Redcoats.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/09 ... 4lo637.htm
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

Very distinguished picture, Chris! Looks as is it was a great success--today has been beautiful too.

--Lyddie
Kat

Post by Kat »

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/2002/mul ... irmult.htm

I went to the "Fairhaven" link on the main page and saw some pictures of Fairhaven, like the old high school being demolished! OUCH!

Great picture Christopher!
Great outfit too! Your wife does good work!

There's some irony here tho- while you work with cannon and musket, assault rifles are becoming lawful this week.

Thanks for the link, Har!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Well, it's back to the present again.

Our two days were great. Everything went smoothly; the weather was fine; the attendance was good. There was a lovely sunset on Saturday for the cannon firing.

The print version of the Standard-Times showed two more photos of our camp, but they chose only the one of me for the on-line version. Sometime soon I'll post a couple that show how the overall camp was set up.

Now we just have to get the smell of wood smoke out of everything. . .
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Great job Chris and family ! Way to go !

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Susan, With both the muskets and the cannon we fire a charge of gunpowder only.
Thanks, Chris, I always wondered about that. I guess even without a cannonball, you still wouldn't want to aim that cannon at anything or anyone.

Thanks for the link, Harry, great picture of Chris. My dad and eldest brother were part of a group that did re-enactments around New Jersey that were similar. :grin: