Swansea Farm

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Nadzieja

Swansea Farm

Post by Nadzieja »

Ted & I were talking about this the other day. We've definitely travelled over the Braga Bridge numerous times. We were wondering how did they get to the Swansea farm from Fall River being that there was no bridge in place at that time. Was there an old bridge that is no longer there? Or is our georgraphy way off? They would still have to get over the river to get to Somerset, which way would they have gone?
Bounds

Post by Bounds »

Slade's Ferry took passengers from Fall River to Somerset. Later there was a bridge by the same name, downstream from where the Braga Bridge is now.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Did Slade's Ferry take horse and buggy teams? Was it located exactly where Braga is now?

Further question, was Slade's Ferry in operation in the 1870s when the Bordens first moved to Second Street?
A book shall be an axe for the frozen sea within us -- Franz Kafka
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

There was no bridge to Somerset/Swansea till Lizzie was 15 years old.

Andrew Borden purchased other lands in Swansea, not just the one the farm house stood on. When Andrew borden began purchasing property in Swansea there was no bridge and a Ferry was used to transverse the Taunton River. I believe that by the time the Farm on Gardner's Neck Road was purchased (not sure of date?) the Slade's Ferry Bridge was all ready up.

The Slade's Ferry Bridge accommodated two horse and buggies side by side with room to spare.

The Slade's Ferry Bridge was actually about 1000 feet away from the "New Bridge", better known today as the Brightman Street Bridge. The Braga bridge is just about a mile, as the crow flies, from the Brightman Street Bridge. The Slade's Ferry sat between the Brightman and the Braga.

The Slade's Ferry Bridge was a great little connecting span between Industrial Fall River and the farming community of Somerset and futher along Swansea.

It served a dual purpose by accommodating horse and buggy on the first level and the train up above.

I had the fortune to cross the Slade's Ferry Bridge many times as a teenager in my little Chevy Corvair. It was a very tight fit and claustrophobic; like going through a tunnel. One drove over a metal grid. As you rolled along your car would oscillate from side to side as the cars in the opposite direction appeared to be much closer than they really were.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Below are two photos of interest.

One shows all three bridges. In the foreground is the Brightman Street Bridge; above that is the little Slade's Ferry Bridge; and in the distance is the Braga Bridge being built.

The Slade's Ferry Bridge lasted 95 years and was dismantled in 1970.

The other photo is of the Slade's Ferry after being hit by a boat in 1932. The interest here is that this is a close up of the bridge and one can study the way it was constructed.

In the back ground is the Mechanics Mills, better known as Quaker Fabrics Building today; which went out of business last year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joe1956

Post by joe1956 »

I know the Bordens had two farms in Swansea. They referred to them as the upper and lower farms. I have seen the one farm house and barn on Gardner's Neck Road. Right now it looks like it is being extensively remodeled. Is the current barn the same structure used by the Bordens? I believe I have also seen the other farm house. Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the other house located across from a golf course not far from Luther Corner? It is a rather large house with a tower-like side (I am not up on my architecture terms.). Last summer I got the nerve to walk around the house on Gardner's Neck Road, especially after knocking on the door and finding no one at home. I was amazed how close it is to the water. I could see how easily Lizzie could have fished there. Please let me know about the other farm house. I fear that last summer I may have been looking at a house that has nothing to do with Lizzie.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Thank you so much everybody. MB, I love the pictures, the first one was a postcard, which makes me wonder, how long have you been collecting these? They are fantastic.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Nadzieja, I started collecting postcards about 25 years ago and only seriously for 2 or 3 years. In my possession I have a little over 1000 Fall River cards. Below are my Slade's Ferry Bridge cards.

The Slade's Ferry Bridge was a state of the art bridge when it was constructed. Before the 1870s most bridges were constructed of mainly wood, that is, wood for the main structural support. The Slade's Ferry Bridge was done so using steel girder which was considered a unproven method that was in use for little more than a year. Still it lasted almost 100 years and the reason for it's replacement had more to do with traffic then construction..
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Two more postcards; with one being the "New Bridge" better know as the Brightman Street Bridge.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Could not get photos to download in my one of my posts above; even after editing in a couple of times. So here the are again............

CLICK ON THE XedOUT PICTURES BELOW TO SEE THE IMAGES. FOR SOME REASON THE THUMBNAILS ARE NOT WORKING.
Richard

Post by Richard »

MB, thanks for sharing. Now we have a visual image of the bridge that Uncle John crossed on Wed afternoon to visit the Swansea Farm.

Does the Slade Ferry Bridge have any connection to Ferry Street? Did the bridge started on Ferry Street?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, Andrew Borden did purchase the farm where the golf course sits today on Pearse Road in Swansea. Andrew owned and sold tons of land in Swansea. The Pearse Road lot alone was over 450 acres in size, and Andrew was constantly adding to it.

I'm not sure that Borden actually owned the house across the street.

Research would need to be done on the house itself to prove that the house went with the land across the street. Records with the Registry of Deeds does not always mention buildings which exist on purchased/sold property.

If someone has proof of that I am sure everyone here would welcome your source. But the source needs to be attached to an umbilical that can be traced to documental certification; that is, I need to see it in writing before I can make the claim or believe that the house on Pearse Road once belong to Andrew.

Also, one thing worth noting, there is much talk about the lower farm and the upper farm. No one has ever explained that to me. Does that refer to the Pearse Street property, which was further North, as opposed to the Gardner's Neck Road Properties?

There was two Properties along Gardner's Neck Road. One on the left while heading South and one on the right, (with the farm house on it).

Who refers to the farms in Swansea as "lower" and "upper". Where were these terms first mentioned and by who? Were these phrases used by the Borden family? And if so, how do we know which properties they are making reference to?

As for the barn behind the farm house, chances are unlikely that is is the same barn which was on the property when Borden had possession of it. Though, if it was replaced, it was done very long ago. The siding, windows and doors have all been replaced, probably more than once. Though this is just guess work on my part, chances are I am right.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Richard: The word "Ferry" actually refers to the boat and not the street. Ferry Street is actually about a mile south of Slade's Ferry.

William Slade, who settled in Somerset started the ferry business in the late 17th century. They started with row boats, to sail boats, and by 1820s to horse drawn boats to carry stage coaches and buggies.

By the late 1840s a steamer took the place of the horses till the actual bridge was erected.

..........................................................................................................

An interesting bit of trivia about the Slade's Ferry Bridge: Five workers were killed while building the bridge when an air chamber collapsed.
joe1956

Post by joe1956 »

Thanks for the information on the farms. The gentleman at the Swansea Historical Society at Luther Corner told me that the house across the street from the golf course belonged to the Bordens. I do not know his information source. I would love to see a map done of all of Andrew Borden's property in Swansea. Just a thought if anyone has a lot of time on his or her hands :)
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

I too remember the slade's ferry bridge. It was extremely narrow and all steel grated roadway that definitely vibrated the car as you drove over and gave you a weird feeling in your lower abdoman. I was so scared as a kid when my Dad drove over it because the car would sway like being in a boat and I always thought we were going to drive right into the oncomming car. Plus to me it was so close to the waters surface.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

The house across the street from the golf course on Pearse Rd. belongs to my cousin and we had a discussion about it on another thread here:
viewtopic.php?t=3735
I am trying to get some information to confirm that myself.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

The Slade Ferry Bridge had an (electric?) train on top and traffic on the bottom? I don't think I've ever seen that before. Also the other card says Fall River & Somerset Bridge--- that's the Brightman St. Bridge? It looks like quite a drawbridge. I never noticed it when going on the Braga Bridge, is it still there or has it been taken down? When did they build the Braga Bridge, I know it had to be after WWII, because it was named for Mr. Braga who died in the war.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

The Slade Ferry Bridge had an (electric?) train on top and traffic on the bottom? I don't think I've ever seen that before. Also the other card says Fall River & Somerset Bridge--- that's the Brightman St. Bridge? It looks like quite a drawbridge. I never noticed it when going on the Braga Bridge, is it still there or has it been taken down? When did they build the Braga Bridge, I know it had to be after WWII, because it was named for Mr. Braga who died in the war.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Sorry for the duplicate message, but I got some type of general error when I sent the first one!!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Nadzieja:

The Brightman street Bridge is still there but its days are numbered.

They are building a huge monstrosity just north of it, a new bridge. What a ghastly, ugly and hideous contraption it will be when complete. Like an ugly beast, a twisted steel octopus sporting gigantic cement legs, compared to the existing Bridge, it will only add to spoil the local scenery. When first proposed there was little talk of a tunnel, which would be ideal, to replace the existing Brightman Street Bridge, but it was considered cost prohibited.

Where the old bridge ends right at the shore on the Somerset side, at the foot of Riverside Ave and RT6, the new bridge will cut up the Somerset countryside, with tumorous concrete growths, better known as cloverleaf off ramps, for almost a half mile before it spills its remaining traffic just west of Brayton Ave.

Can you tell I'm not a fan of the new bridge???

The existing Brightman Steet Bridge is a draw bridge and was built in 1908. The Braga Bridge was opened around 1965.

You can see the new bridge in the photo below. Now notice the old bridge in the back ground. I can only end by stating; Sad.........
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you for all the cool pictures!Image
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Thanks for the picture, the new bridge doesn't sound that great. I'm sure it is going to look way out of place (just like the new courthouse). Why can't anyone make these new buildings look nice???? It looks like they get thrown up then look very old & tired after just a few years. I don't even live in Fall River and that court house building just irked me. It's like putting a 15 ft sofa in a 10 ft living room, it just doesn't fit.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, you're Welcome, it was fun posting them.

If necessity is the Mother of invention, then in Fall River's case defilement is the Father. Artistry, grace and elegance are not traits that can be considered praiseworthy attributes for an immigrant mill town such as Fall River. At least that is how the state sees it. And even if it was, appreciation for such grandeur would be splendor misspent. If not, you would have those in power and those who placed them in office demanding more. So perhaps they are right.

But enough commentary. Below are some beautiful bridges (if such things can be considered beautiful) Not sure what the final structure will look like when they are done, but the concrete in place now almost guarantee that it will be just one over/under glorified overpass.
Richard

Post by Richard »

MB, is the last photo you posted the bridge called Hell Gate in Astoria, New York? It looks like the Amtrak bridge that crosses the East River from Queens to the Bronx. I grew up a half mile from that bridge and the photo brought back a lot of memories. If indeed that is the bridge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_Gate_Bridge
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Richard: Sure looks like it>>>>>>>>.

Can't remember where I found those photos?

But to tell you the truth, I'm not sure it's the same bridge? But if not it sure is a clone.

Check out the photo of the Hell Gate Bridge and the one I have posted above. There is some difference in the towers and perhaps the city in the background? Perhaps it is not Hell Gate Bridge at all? What do you think?
Harry

Post by Harry »

It looks like the Hell Gate to me.

Here's a postcard showing the Fall River Line's Priscilla going beneath it.

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

YES Harry. They sure look alike. If it is the same bridge than the towers were rebuilt at some time. If you look at my last post you will find 3 photos. The first one is of the bridge in question and the next two are of Hell's Gate.

If you notice the towers are different. The tops are different. The bridge in question comes to a point while the Hell's Gate Bridge has a railing-of-sorts on top and is wider. Also the cut out or window above is different.

No?
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Your right MB, those bridges are gorgeous. It is so interesting to see how they build them. I remember watching a show on how they built the Brooklyn Bridge and couldn't believe what these people went through to do it. It was extremely difficult, but look how beautiful the finished product turned out. I have to ask, where in the world did you ever find 1000 postcards? Do you find them in yard sales or book stores?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Nazieja:

Most of my collection came from bookstores, bookshows and ephemera and paper shows: a couple from ebay and still more from random auctions.

Fall River has a junk auction once a week at a local Elks Club. I say "junk" because most of the stuff is junk. But once in a while they have pretty good stuff, like a 18th century chest that sold for 2400 dollars a couple of months ago.

Of course when I started collecting post cards common ones were 50 cents to a dollar or two. Today, everyone thinks they have a treasure and the same cards are selling for 5 to 10 dollars.

My favorites are of street scenes, buildings and people. Below are a couple. One is of the Brightman Street Bridge. Love those fancy street lights.

The other is of North Maine Street looking North. You can just see the old City Hall just off to the right.

Still another of Globe Four Corners where South Main Street, Globe Street and Broadway come together. Off to the right just behind the building with the red roof is where Fall River's oldest mill use to stand. This corner was about a mile south from Lizzie's 92.

And finally one of Saint Mary's Church on Spring street looking East. Just up from the church about 100 feet is 2nd street. Take a left on 2nd and 92 is just about 80 feet down on the right.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Some More:

One is of the the old Central Fire Station that burnt down in the great fire. This station stood just behind the city hall. Great little building.

Another is of the First Congregational Church, Andrew Borden's Church. Just about 50 feet or so beyond the church would be Sergents where Bridget was going to "have myself some" . I think that is how she put it when Lizzie tipped her off about the dress material sale.

Also included below is the train station. This is the Bowenville Station and probably the station where Emma left off on the day of the murders on here return home from Fairhaven.

Then, finally is one of my favorite street scenes showing the main post office. If not mistaken I believe this is where Uncle John went to conduct some business before heading off to see his relative on Weybosset Street.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Just a couple more:

Another shot of Uncle John's post office visit...

Oak Grove Lizzie Cemetery...

To cute kids sitting under the old Rolling Rock located in the East end of the city.

Finally again, One great street scene of North Main Street and the Center of social and governmental Activity in Fall River and how it looked just after the murders.

Thanks for taking the time everyone.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

These buildings are just wonderful. Why can't we build like this today???? We had a fantastic old post office building also in Webster that they tore down & built one that looks like a cardboard box, flat roof with abstolutely no style. You have quite a treasure, have you ever thought of publishing a book with all of these or are they all copyrighted pictures? What was rolling rock famous for? Do you have any of the old ice house? I remember reading a past copy of The Hatchet where there was an article about the ice house which I found so interesting. We must have had one around here but not sure where.
Harry

Post by Harry »

mbhenty @ Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:53 pm wrote::smile:

YES Harry. They sure look alike. If it is the same bridge than the towers were rebuilt at some time. If you look at my last post you will find 3 photos. The first one is of the bridge in question and the next two are of Hell's Gate.

If you notice the towers are different. The tops are different. The bridge in question comes to a point while the Hell's Gate Bridge has a railing-of-sorts on top and is wider. Also the cut out or window above is different.

No?
Now that I look at it more closely, yes, I agree they are different. The arch is eye catching and draws you away from the towers.

Lizzie made trips to NYC and I've often wondered whether she made a few trips on the Fall River line. They had a regular schedule to NYC.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Rolling rock is a large boulder that is precariously balanced on a bed of granite, having been deposited there by the receding glaciers. A class of school children has just petitioned Mass. law makers and recieved official recognition of the rock as Massachusetts Glacial Rock. Plymouth may have Plymouth Rock but Fall River has Glacial Rock. :smile:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Steve:

Not to be an old crumb, but have you ever been to Plymouth? Plymouth is a wonderful place and any visit to Southeast New England is not complete without a visit. There you will find a grand replica of the Mayflower, there's the Wax Museum, Plimoth Plantation..................and then there is the rock.

The story of the rock laced in folk lore and tale. To put it rudely, it's a bit of a let down. One can say that the monument over the rock is the attraction and the rock is the side show.

If you study the history of the "Rock" you will discover that it is probably not the "Rock." There was stories that the "Rock" was chipped away by vandals wanting a piece of the "Rock"..........that the "Rock" was moved to that location because it was more convenient to view the "Rock" etc. Sort of like the stories about Geo. Washington's wooden teeth, or the Cherry Tree, or the toss of the silver dollar. Even as a young adult I was disappointed when I first saw the "Rock".
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Yes, I remember as a young boy going on a field trip to Plymouth Plantation. I was so excited in the anticipation of seeing where the pilgrims first stepped foot and I also remember the MAJOR dissappointment when I looked down and saw just a relatively small plain rock and then learned the history of the rock as you mentioned MB. I do have to admit though seeing the "pilgrims" live life as they did in 1620 was impressive to me as a child and also the replica of the Mayflower.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

I love this picture of the rolling rock.
Kat

Post by Kat »

These are all great pictures~ Thanks! :smile:

I just read recently that the Plymouth Rock was only 1/2 the real rock- that the other half was brought somewhere else. Sorry, but I can't give a source for this but someone may know?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Kat:

The rock was moved around several times. When it stood under the old monument they had to install a steel gate around it to prevent people from chipping away souvenirs. The old monument was much nicer than the existing one if Victorian Birthday Cake adornment is your thing.

The rock was broken in half by city fathers and part of it was displayed at the town hall or meeting house; then later moved back to it's original location. Only one third of the original rock remains.

But who knows? If you study the rock does it look like anyone chipped it? Does it look jagged? Is it the real rock? Who knows..........
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:-?

Now, Being the King of skeptics it is my occupation to question, examine and grill.

Now, the rock was first identified by an old town official, a guy in his late eighties or nineties. He identified the rock as the one pointed out to him by his father as a child. Did he identify the right Rock? Did he make up the story? Did his father make up an exciting story for a young son? Is it the real Rock? Who knows? That must be left up to the believer.

But, the story of the Rock, whether you believe it or not, is further diluted by the fact that the Pilgrims landed in Provincetown and explored the tip of Cape Cod first before settling in Plymouth.

But, since we are all in need of heros and Legend the rock, perhaps like Washington's hatchet or wooden teeth, lives.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Nadzieja @ Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:47 am wrote:These buildings are just wonderful. Why can't we build like this today????
Today it's all about the bottom line. "Disposable" and "built in obsolescence" became the standard in the 20th century. Now buildings are not built to last, but built to stand for about 70 years maximum.

Even "quality" materials today are flimsy compared to those of a century and more ago.

Solid stone, etc. used back then is now astronomical & completely impractical. What was then "flimsy" is now expensive. What was then solid is now priced out of reach.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks MB. I'm feeling a bit abashed because I believe my source for the Plymouth Rock being cut and that part relocated was from William Shatner's autobiography!
If I find the quote I will post it... :grin: