"February Hill"

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

stuartwsa

"February Hill"

Post by stuartwsa »

I have just finished reading Victoria Lincoln's novel "February Hill," which is set in Fall River. The book focuses on the Harris family who live in an old shanty on February Hill.
I'm wondering if some of our Fall River friends might know where exactly February Hill is, if it is indeed real and, where is February Hill in relation to "The Hill?"
Lincoln indicates that the Harrises travel down a path or road from their shanty, which connects to North Main Street.
I'm curious about February Hill because it is in the social sense diametrically opposed to the Hill where Lizzie and the better families lived, yet we've heard nothing about it before--or at least I haven't.
Thanks!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Here is a relevant article of much interest!
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... -2,00.html

Excerpt: "Though no acknowledgment of source is made, The Primrose Path strikes many a playgoer as a dramatization of Victoria Lincoln's popular novel, February Hill (1934). First mentioned for production by Sam H. Harris in 1935, the play went unproduced for three years, after a Fall River, Mass, woman, charging that February Hill maligned members of her family, sued Author Lincoln for $100,000. So far the case has not come to trial. "
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Yes Stuartwsa: There is no such place as February Hill in Fall River. Whether Victoria had a location in FR in mind I don't know. But there is no actually named Location.

Lizzie lived 5 blocks up from North Main Street. Traveling down French street towards North Main you come to Lizzie's Lawyer's house, Andrew Jennings, at 421 June, corner of French Street. As soon as you continue past the Jennings house, towards North Maine, homes become very modest. Now you are 2 blocks away from Main. Most homes here are working class flats.

Once you are on North Main Street and cross over most of the homes here, that is, between Main and the Taunton River are working class, even in Lizzie's day.

So, your guess would be as good as mine to where Victoria placed her story. I would say it is all made up, just like A Private Disgrace. :roll:
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Thanks, Michael. I wondered if it were an actual place or not. I've been to Fall River and up on The Hill, but didn't get much farther up North Main Street than the used book store that I visited.
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

And thanks also for the link, Shelley. I'd like to find out more about that lawsuit!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yes- that should be a fun investigation which I bet will yield an article!
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

If I could spend some time in Fall River, I'd be glad to research it. But working seven days a week cuts down on little things like vacations.
Does the Fall River Public Library have any of the local newspapers on microfilm?
Cemetery Hunter

Post by Cemetery Hunter »

It's not unusual for authors to base fiction type places on actual cities or towns my guess is this often done when the writer has never visited the place they are basing their fictional location on.
Visit Cemetery Hunters @ http://cemeteryhunters.boardzero.com
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, Victoria Lincoln was born in Fall River. Around the time she was in high school she lived a couple of blocks away from Lizzie, but just on the edge of what was known as the Highlands. When Lizzie died Victoria was 23 years old.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Victoria Lincoln's home in Fall River a couple of blocks away from Maplecorft.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

The property in the previous post above was purchased by Jonathan Thayer Lincoln, Victoria's father, in the later part of life when riches were invested and made.

The house in this post below, the brown one, was the house Jonathan t. Lincoln owned before moving up to the Highlands. Not sure, without some research, which house Victoria was born in?

But, 259 Bank Street (brown house, know simply as The Lincoln House) may be very familiar to many who have visited Fall River since it is in view and a stone's throw from Lizzie's Congregational Church on Rock Street............ in what is known as the Lower Highlands.

The other Photo of the large shingled house (destroyed over the years by butchers and fire) was where Jonathan Thayer Lincoln grew up. This is known as the Leontine Lincoln House, Victoria Lincoln's grandfather. Grand dad and Father made their money in the loom business and built what was known as "The Fall River Loom".

Lincoln's company was known as Kilburn and Lincoln & Company. Located on the corner of Anawan and Canal Street it was located a couple of hundred feet from Lizzie's grandfather's home on Ferry street, thus Leontine, Jonathan and Andrew must have all been well acquainted.

Small world among the rich and powerful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

The Lincoln House on Bank Street is among one of the oldest houses in Fall River, or at the very least, in the top 5 per-cent of early construction.

Its construction, due mostly to the Iron work that drips from the roof line, is considered gothic. One Interesting note. The Lincoln House was build in the same year as Lizzie Borden's house at 92 Second Street, 1845.
JohnWimpBooth

Re: "February Hill"

Post by JohnWimpBooth »

My grandmother was a friend of one of the children in the family on which Victoria Lincoln based the story. She said the story was very accurate and that a play based on the book was performed at the Somerset Playhouse. My grandmother thought whoever designed the set had been in the actual home because every detail was identical. If I'm not mistaken the young girl my grandmother knew was named "Dottie" but I can not recall the last name. She always said February Hill was the area at the end of the street just north of the entrance to St. Patrick's cemetery, either Mt. Pleasant or Herman St., not sure which one it's called. That is the location of the family's home.
twinsrwe

Re: "February Hill"

Post by twinsrwe »

Hello, JohnWimpBooth, welcome to the forum. Than you for the information, it's interesting to know that Victoria Lincoln was so detailed and accurate.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )