Maplecroft in the snow today

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Stefani

Maplecroft in the snow today

Post by Stefani »

Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Wow! Thanks! I now miss the tree that came down in that storm.

The porch looks oddly like a modern addition c. 1960's!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Here in Southeast Mass. the snow that fell is nothing to talk about, especially after it has been played up through news reports.

Below is a photo of French Street today.

If you look closely you can see two barrels in the street. These were placed there by the owner of Maplecorft so no one parks in front of his house. This man has a yard which he plows and which can fit multiple cars but he insists on taking up space on the street which is very premium, especially during a no parking on one side snow ban.

What sort of greedy person acts this way. He cares for no one but himself. Poor Lizzie. If she just knew the sort of human that lives in her home........ :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Well, we got just about exactly a foot here in CT and temps of 8 degrees coming for early tomorrow morning. Since schools were closed last night, the plows took their own time in getting around to plowing roads today. Time for snowshoes.
joe1956

Post by joe1956 »

Thanks for the pics of Maplecroft in the snow. I am a summer visitor to Fall River, and think of it as being a very warm and gree place! What did Lizzie and others do when it snowed like this? I imagine being snowed in back then was really being snowed in! How did they clear the streets before the automobile? Horse-drawn plows? I imagine Lizzie curling up with a good book in her library by a roaring fire while it snowed outside.
Kat

Post by Kat »

The oldest historian of Swansea, Helen Pierce, said when she was a girl the way was cleared of snow to the school there by a wooden triangle weighted with stones pulled by a horse, c.1908.
william

Post by william »

I was a kid of seven living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn (circa 1926). I can remember that the trucks and trolley cars had scrapers which pushed the snow to the side of the street. The trolleys had them in 1900, but they weren't available for trucks until 1921
Angel

Post by Angel »

Kat @ Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:57 am wrote:The oldest historian of Swansea, Helen Pierce, said when she was a girl the way was cleared of snow to the school there by a wooden triangle weighted with stones pulled by a horse, c.1908.
Poor horse.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

I was thinking the same thing Angel....poor horse. That snow must have been heavy as heck to pull that way.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
Kat

Post by Kat »

Do animals like to be useful?
I don't know much about horses, but dogs like to work, I understand.

Thanks William! You were alive when Lizzie was alive! You're our Forum *Treasure!* :batman:
augusta

Post by augusta »

I love photos of Fall River in the snow. I'm like Joe 1956 - so far have been just a spring/summer visitor.

Thanks for the Winter Maplecroft photo, mb.

That can't be legal, putting those barrels out on the public street so no one will park there, can it??

Please tell me he didn't get away with that for long.

Nothing famous around here, but if I put barrels out like that I'd be getting a visit from the cops pretty darn quick. Like you say, mb, space is at such a premium in FR. He doesn't own the street in front of the house.
xyjw

Post by xyjw »

The entire street is beautiful in the snow! I have only seen that neighborhood in the summertime, it is gorgeous. The grounds of the Fall River Historical Society are especially nice.