August 4 ,2009

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

joe1956

August 4 ,2009

Post by joe1956 »

I will staying at the B&B from July 31 to August 5th this year. I am an annual visitor, and look forward to my summer visits with great anticipation. As an 8th-grade science teacher, I find Lizzie's house the most relaxing place on Earth. I am sure psychiatrists may be able to explain :lol: I was just wondering what is planned for August 4th this year. I know that this is a very big day for everyone at the house. I am also curious about the night before and the evening of the 4th. What special events take place at the house. I have never stayed at the B&B over the 4th, and know that it will be different than my average day there. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Every Aug 4th they have a re-enactment. They try to make it a little different every year.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Hi Joe! Oh, it will be great to have you there on the 4th! In fact, if you like, I will write a part into the annual script for you. See this link for our House Players and script from last year
http://pearessentialproductions.wordpress.com/
joe1956

Post by joe1956 »

Hi Shelley!!!

I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to hear from you! Having a part on August 4th would be a dream come true. Is it possible I could play Andrew dead under the sheet? Strange request I know, but I would love to lay there "dead" and listen to everyone go by. Just a thought, but I will do anything you write for me. Take care. I am counting the days.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I played Andrew under the sheet on the sofa last August. I could see everyone thru the sheet. I thought about rising from the dead with the sheet on my head and complain about a splitting headache LOL
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Playing the victim part is surely the easiest. I will take Abby over Lizzie any day- and yes, it is fascinating just lying quietly and taking in the reactions of people viewing the crime scene. Of course breathing, sneezing coughing, twitching, etc is out! Well, one thing is for sure- we have PLENTY of parts to go around! Jeff- you may be ready for the big time this year! Ben was Detective Seaver last year and I think you would make an admirable Medley (my fav cop on the scene). Last year's Undertaker Winward was Andrew-Under-the-Sheet back in 2007. Seems like Andrew is a "rotating" role! Jeff sure had the "legs" for it- long and tall- a dead ringer for the famous photo.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hi Joe, My name is Barbara,I have played Emma for a couple years. Shelley, maybe I could have a male interest this year,what do you think? We should do the "Saturday Night Live" version of the murders. Wouldn't that be a hoot. I'm looking forward to meeting a friend of Shelley's, see you in August. :roll:
joe1956

Post by joe1956 »

Hello Shelley, Barbara, and everyone!

After working with eighth-graders all school year, I can think of nothing better than lying still and not breathing :-? It will be an honor playing any part in this year's recreation of August 4, 1892. They say Abby was a large woman...maybe with a wig...on never mind :lol:
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Barbara, I think that is a great idea. Can you imagine a Sat Night Live spoof on this. I don't know if we could all stop laughing long enough to do it the straight way.
JoAnne

Post by JoAnne »

Hi Joe. It would be great to have another cast member. I play , Mrs. Addie Churchill. Some call her the nosey neighbor; but, she really is just a very caring and concerned gentlelady!!!! :roll:

Lorraine, we used to do a campy halloween play. It was soooo much fun. I think we should have a second play just for the house guests later in the evening. What do you think? I bet Shelley could come up with a humdinger!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yes, I would like to try some role reversal- maybe Lizzie and Emma as the victims and Abby and Andrew as the "perps".
joe1956

Post by joe1956 »

Isn't there a short story or television program (maybe a radio show) out there in which someone from the present day is able to travel back in time to August 4, 1892? This time traveler discovers that Andrew plans on murdering poor Lizzie because he cannot take any more of her abuse or her abuse towards Abby. In the nick of time, Andrew is stopped from murdering Lizzie, but the time traveler needs to kill Andrew and Abby in order to save Lizzie. After returning to the present time, this time traveler has trully made it look like no one killed Andrew and Abby (at least no one alive in 1892)...not Lizzie, Bridget, Emma, Dr. Bowen or any other people suspected in the various popular theories of whodunit. Historical science fiction! I know this story exists somewhere...help!
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

I can see the creative juices are flowing. I like going back in time as witnesses, however I like the different spin on things.
I'm sure we could come up with something if we can stop laughing long enough.
joe1956

Post by joe1956 »

I am sure Shelley will come up with another brilliant approach for this year's August 4th performance. I have heard nothing but great comments about previous renenactments, always informative and entertaining!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

How would you feel about a very large walrus mustache Joe??!
joe1956

Post by joe1956 »

Yes! I would be willing to wear a walrus type mustache:smile: Just let me know who you want me to play, so I can study and learn everything about this person. A few things you need to know :

1.) If I could be inside the house, I would very much appreciate it. My meds do not react very well to the summer heat.

2.) Now that the doctor has my synthroid dosage correct (no thyroid gland here), I have started dropping weight like crazy. If this trend continues, I may be a bean pole the next time you see me :lol:

I am so thankful to you for even considering me for a role on Auguust 4th. Just let me know where I can buy a fake walrus type mustache (or I can look online) and details about costume, etc. I cannot help but be excited. After over 30 years of obsession with everything Lizzie, this is a dream come true! Hugs.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Hmm- you may be too svelte for Marshal Hilliard! I just love his mustache and hope somebody can play him this year! We have been longing for an Uncle John for the past few years. Our cook, Dave Quigley last took up the part in 2002/ Yes, I think Uncle John Morse it is!!
joe1956

Post by joe1956 »

I would love to play Hilliard!!!! I don't think I will ever be svelte, but thanks for the thought. Hilliard it is if it is okay with you.
joe1956

Post by joe1956 »

Oh Selley...I don't mean to drive you crazy. I am just so excited to play anyone. Just let me know who you want me to play, and I will do it. I am your clay...mold me :grin:
joe1956

Post by joe1956 »

Hi Shelley and all you wonderful Lizzie people!

I have started rereading everything I have on both Rufus Hilliard and good old Uncle John. Either way, I am sure that I will have a day to remember! (I have also started searching the web for a good walrus mustache!) My best to everyone!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh my! Dee was thrilled when I mentioned walrus mustache and Marshal Hilliard, Joe. But I STILL am hoping for an Uncle John- he is such a big part of the action that day, I have been longing for Uncle John for years! I would have him skulking around all over the house and back yard looking nosey and faintly suspicious! :lol: Any other takers? :grin:
joe1956

Post by joe1956 »

Hi Shelley,

Uncle John it is. Just let me know what he looked like that day, and I will do my best! I have the photos of Uncle John everyone has, but what did he look like on August 4, 1892? I can definitely skulk and look faintly suspicious. Keep in touch!

Joe
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Well, looks like you will be trading in your walrus mustache for a beard. I don't know exactly what John looked like on August 4th. I think the photos we have of him are younger. I do believe we have some newspaper sketches of him during the trial and the beard was still there. Stay tuned.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Here's two drawings of him from the newspapers:

Try not to notice any crowds gathered in front of the house! :grin:
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yay Harry! I was just digging out my Sourcebook. Joe, I think you will be the cat's meow in a bowtie and whiskers. :grin: