Maplecroft For Sale again

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

twinsrwe

Re: Maplecroft For Sale again

Post by twinsrwe »

Great comparison, Stefani!!! Thanks for posting these pics. :grin:
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

l8c0ea644-m0o.jpg
:smile:

You know, I don't get a high every time I slam Maplecroft. As a matter of fact it is quite disheartening...... still I do it.

Maplecroft is up for sale and for a moment there it looked like it was sold. The sign was even off the lawn for a good part of the late summer. But the deal fell through. Sign is back up.

Maplecroft is priced about double what it is worth. You are buying a 350,000 house for 650,000+, and paying 300,000 to buy the Borden name. Unless you turn it into a business.... well?

There's a house down the street in the same neighborhood for sale. It's known as the Borden/Durfee House. There were so many Bordens and Durfees in fall river, (small f and small r for the small minds that live here) I'm afraid I would need to do some research to discover who they were.

Please excuse the way I say it, but this house cost nearly 100,000 less then Maplecorft, and in the world of Mansions, it makes Maplecroft look like a chicken coop. (which just received a cheap one coat,paint, spray job)

Amazing building. I worked inside this building in the 80s before it was renovated. It was a mess. It was a halfway house of sorts. I was surprised that they could bring it back. They had to spend a upwards of 100,000 to do so, though.

Now I have been told that I already posted the interior of the house on the forum, but I couldn't find it. So here you go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mbhenty on Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Still more
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:cry:

POOR MAPLECROFT, IT DESERVED BETTER.

:study:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

The last house I showed, and no, I'm not a realtor, just a lover of old houses. The last house is about 3 blocks from Maplecorft. This house here is about two. It's on Rock Street. It needs some work. But for someone who can do the work themselves it could be a deal. What I'm trying to say is that you would need 1.5 to 2 million if you wanted to build such a house today, and that's if you could.

I think it has been on the market for a while. Perhaps a deal could be had. But there is lots of work, most of it on the outside. But still What a glorious, illustrious home it could be. I wonder why the people who build it and lived in it didn't take it with them when they died? Funny thing, Huh?

They want 389,000, but you could probably get them down quite a bit. It has like 5 to 6 fireplaces. Probably twice the size of Maplecorft. And if you wanted to bring it back, you would probably spend a lot less than if you actually purchased Lizzie's old house.

Ok, ok it's not Maplecorft but......

Here it is.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Here are the fireplaces for the house above. I like the white one, actually!

Last edited by mbhenty on Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Ok I understand. You are entertaining for the holidays and you want the place to be move in ready.

This place is 369,000. Bigger than Maplecorft. About four blocks from Maplecorft.

Not anywhere as big as the last house, but nicer condition and with very little to do.

Ah, but you probably wouldn't like it. It only has like 2 or 3 fireplaces.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

moe
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

This is the last house I am going to display here. These are all alternatives to Maplecorft.... but not Lizzie's. I know, I know. But this house is a steal. If it was selling out in Fairhaven, Marion, or Swansea, they would be asking around 450,000. It has been on the market for a long time. I would say a couple of years.

If I was moving to fall river I would buy this house. It' about a block away from Maplecorft. Not anywhere as big as the other houses, not Victorian, more Georgian, built in 1923, and not as illustrious as the other homes, but still a very nice, nice, home.

Really sad. Only 255,000. As time goes by the price has come way down.

I really like this house. Perfect size. Big but yes small.

But alas, not Maplecorft.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

last.
Adminlizzieborden
Site Admin

Post by Adminlizzieborden »

test
Administrator,
Lizzie Borden Society Forum
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

There is no comparison between this house and Maplecroft. At one time, when new, they were comparable. But this house was beat up over the years. Still, it is only 2 houses away from Maplecorft, about a stones throw from the old Borden house on French Street. Still, Maplecroft belong to Lizzie Borden and this place was well......just a house. But as Maplecroft was asking almost 700,000, this white Victorian sold for 103,000. What a deal. Foreclosure. Never the less.......

It is known as the Pitman house. John Pitman was a carpenter. He must have done well to own such a house in such a neighborhood. But then again..... he was a carpenter. Must have built it himself, I'm sure. The inside is not that cool. But the outside still exudes visions of a marvelous Victorian Lady.

It was on the market for a while. They could not sell it. It sold for a little more than 100,000. Wow.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Man, MB, those houses are absolutely beautiful! Thanks for posting these pics. :grin:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Many of the old Victorians in fall river are not insulated. I don't think Maplecroft is insulated. An insulated Victorian can save from 30 to 40 percent on heating costs.

Below is the Davenport house. I could take it no longer—since my heating bill for last January was just about 500 dollars for that one month, and February was not the much cheaper. The inside of the house is like a wind tunnel. The drafts are all over, and if one lights a candle, proof of this is exaggerated in the dancing flame or in very cold stocking feet.

This year I made a visit to home depot and insulated the place myself. Hopefully it is not my mind playing tricks on me, but I can already feel a difference. No draft.

I only insulated a little above the first floor ceiling using cellulite. It was a dirty frustrating hard job. I had to remove shingles and drill almost 300 3 inch holes. Should have done it many hears ago. When my mother had her's done, it chopped her heating billllllllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiL in half.

Sorry. I fell asleep with my finger on the letter i. I thought it real funny and left it in.

good night.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I was very tired when I wrote the post above.

Had a friend of mine ask me, "How did you get the cellulite in the walls, with a treadmill?"

I left the post untouched because I think its hilarious. The word is "Cellulose" not Cellulite.

No wonder why my house was looking fatter after I got done. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

mbhenty wrote::smile:

Many of the old Victorians in fall river are not insulated. I don't think Maplecroft is insulated. An insulated Victorian can save from 30 to 40 percent on heating costs.

Below is the Davenport house. I could take it no longer—since my heating bill for last January was just about 500 dollars for that one month, and February was not the much cheaper. The inside of the house is like a wind tunnel. The drafts are all over, and if one lights a candle, proof of this is exaggerated in the dancing flame or in very cold stocking feet.

This year I made a visit to home depot and insulated the place myself. Hopefully it is not my mind playing tricks on me, but I can already feel a difference. No draft.

I only insulated a little above the first floor ceiling using cellulite. It was a dirty frustrating hard job. I had to remove shingles and drill almost 300 3 inch holes. Should have done it many hears ago. When my mother had her's done, it chopped her heating billllllllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiL in half.

Sorry. I fell asleep with my finger on the letter i. I thought it real funny and left it in.

good night.

Are these pictures of your house? I love the inside!!
Adminlizzieborden
Site Admin

Post by Adminlizzieborden »

test.
Administrator,
Lizzie Borden Society Forum
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

Adminlizzieborden wrote:No MysteryReader:

The last two photos of the blown-in insulation is my building—known as the Davenport House, next door to Maplecroft. All the other photos of interiors are of houses that are for sale in Maplecroft's neighborhood.

I often make comparisons with Maplecorf and its cousins in the area that are for sale... since Maplecroft is back on the market.

I did not display any photos of the interior of my place since it is very plain. No fancy woodwork. Just a fancy Landlord... me! Ok, not even me.

But thanks for asking.

But it shows such promise from the outside! :grin:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, When the Davenport House was built it was done so as income property for the 7th mayor of fall river, James Davenport. So it was nothing fancy. I changed the outside of the house and made it so. If you drive by it it looks marvelous and imagine the interior as being the same. But it really is not.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

The Davenport house was always know as the Henry House to students of Lizzie lore. When I purchased it I made sure of changing it's name and giving credit where credit is due.

The reason it became the Henry House was because Harriet Henry sold the house to Lizzie Borden. But in reality the house was left to her when her Aunt, Phoebe Davenport died. She had it for a year or so. Thus it became the Henry House.

But.........

Phoebe Davenport and her husband had the house built. But they didn't live in it.

Later when Mr. Davenport died, his wife moved into the "Henry" house. Not only did Phobe Davenport build it, but she lived there for over 25 years. So I have worked to change the error. It is not the Henry House, but the Davenport House. She is the person who added value to the building. All Harriet Henry did was get rid of it.
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

Interesting detail! Thanks, mbhenty!!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Here are some photo's of the Davenport house before, during and after.

Before, as it looked when Mrs. Davenport lived here. Though much later, I have seen old pictures and it does not look very different.

click photo to make bigger
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

I love the look of that house.. the second picture.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

during construction....
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

Is the top one the final color? Looks good! Now, I want to come visit Fall River.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

as it looks today......
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

Awesome! Now, I will be planning a trip to Fall River!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Thank you !
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Anything new on the Sale of Maplecroft ? There is a post on Stay To Tea but this is the place to discuss it. Fall River And It's Environments.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

Fargo,

The only thing I know is a woman from Texas bought it and I *think* it's going to be a bed and breakfast.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

You bet Fargo, this is the place to discuss Maplecroft. But at times we get carried away, off track, off topic, and out of our minds, eh?

Yes, Dube is still living in the house. I think he will be there until the end of Feb.

Carpenters have been going in and out of Maplecroft. So the new owner is wasting no time in putting the place back together. Not sure when it will be turned into a B&B. I don't think any time soon, but it is the eventual plan.

I will keep everyone up to date, while taking into consideration the new owner's privacy.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

May the Kelly house be next!
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Maplecroft is for sale ONCE AGAIN, AGAIN. GHOSTS NOT INCLUDED.

Here is the property overview as advertised. Strangely enough its doesn't tell us what happens to the spirits.

And most of the description below was made possible by Kristi Bates.

Property Overview - Announcing the Maplecroft Mansion, a significant and historically important Queen Anne Victorian located in Fall Rivers' Highlands District. This impeccably designed high style Victorian is an art piece that has been painstakingly restored to its original grandeur, with no detail overlooked. This 4000 sq. ft. home features 6 fireplaces, 8 bedrooms, and 3 ½ bathrooms. Details include tin ceilings in the kitchen, coffered ceilings in the parlor, exquisite mantelpieces, walnut wainscoting, custom millwork and inlaid parquet flooring just to name a few. Each room is decorated with accurate period pieces and include accoutrement that speaks to its Borden history. Maplecroft is being offered for sale fully furnished and has a variance to operate as a bed and breakfast. It has been a private residence since it's restoration, unseen by the public. Serious inquiries only please.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I'm surprised that it is on the market so soon after they had purchased it in February of 2018!

Did they ever actually open it as a B&B?

What happened? Did the public not buy into the ghost story?

It's reasonable to believe that there maybe/are ghosts at the house on Second Street, because two people were brutally murdered there. As far as I know, Maplecroft does not have such a history, so the ghost story just doesn't hold water.
scottieloka

Post by scottieloka »

I worked inside this building in the 80s before it was renovated. It was a mess. It was a halfway house of sorts. I was surprised that they could bring it back. https://www.wattpad.com/1076876743-how- ... y-textbook
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/property ... aplecroft/

"But the city of Fall River asked for additional updates to the property including an elevator, the COVID-19 pandemic hit, and Woods decided he wanted to retire soon. So he and Wilber opted to put the home on the market for someone else to take whack at turning it into a B&B or resurrecting it as a private home".

An ELEVATOR?! Ridiculous. That's Ma for ya.

Does anyone know WHY Lizbeth called it "Maplecroft"?

Also, I get there could be ghosts in old houses but I really wonder if the ghosts in this house exist at all. Seems more of a hook for anyone interested in making it a bed and breakfast.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Believe me.

There are no ghosts at Maplecorft. At least none that cared to talk to me.

I was a caretaker at Maplecroft for about a year or more when the previous owner was away for long periods of time.

Every night I would go over to make certain the heat was working and everything was in order.

I would sit, sometimes in the dark, in Lizzie's parlor, all by myself... and I would listen and just spend some quite time, feeling fortunate to be in the house and having it all to myself. While there I would walk the entire house making certain nothing looked out of place. This included visits to the basement. To be honest I was creeped out when I did tours of the cellar at night. But that was true of the cellar in my own building. Sometimes instead of making an absolute survey of the basement, I would just stand at the top of the stairs and listen for anything that may have spoken to a problem—perhaps a broken pipe or other mechanical disturbances.

I visited Maplecorft almost every night. Occasionally I would just go over to read a book or sit quietly in the dinning room or in Lizzie's living room, which was one of my favorite rooms. Or perform a job or fix something or another that needed attention. Never had a clue that there were Goblins, ghosts, spirits, restless souls, shadows, sounds, or visions. And no one reached out to me from the beyond. Considering the fact that I have written extensively about Lizzie and owned the house next door, a building which once belong to Lizzie Borden, you would think that I was an excellent contact for lizzie to communicate with or make her lost desires known. Nope ! Never happened. There are no ghosts at Maplecroft.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

I wonder if they're getting any bites at Maplecroft.

If I win the lottery I would buy it and love to sit on the porch and see the Massachusetts fall usher in.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

About four blocks away from Maplecroft is a house for sale that is so much more beautiful, and contains much more worth than Maplecroft, and for almost the same exact asking price. The woodwork in the library alone surpasses anything the entire Maplecroft has to offer.... except for the name "Borden".

The inside is just breathtaking. (click on photo to make BIG)
Last edited by mbhenty on Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

more.....
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

and still more.....
swinell

Post by swinell »

I heard something about someone wanting to turn Maplecroft into another Borden Museum+B&B but that the town was against it...something about the person not liking people (offhand comment from a tour guide of FRHS) and wanting to move on from the Legend of Lizzie Borden...wondering if anyone has anything concrete on the subject as I know a few people who are interested in doing the same with the place
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:shock:
Maplecroft is still for sale and the price just dropped by 90,000 dollars. Let's move this baby. :roll:

https://fallriverreporter.com/want-to-o ... ce-drop-1/
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I just found this on Youtube. Sort of funny. At least for me.

I was caretaker of Maplecroft for a short period.

Here I am seen removing the SAT dish from the roof on the front porch of Maplecroft.

This was 7or 8 years ago. The dish was so unsightly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpeCTF2G9Yk