Lizzie, Redux mock retrial in NB on9/24

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

nbcatlover

Lizzie, Redux mock retrial in NB on9/24

Post by nbcatlover »

Superior Court to 'retry' Lizzie Borden as part of anniversary celebration

NEW BEDFORD — The 150th Anniversary Committee of the Superior Court will present "Lizzie, Redux" at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 24, at the New Bedford Superior Court Courthouse, 441 County St., as part of the Massachusetts Superior Court's anniversary year.

The court will offer an open house from 6 to 7 that night.

A mock retrial of the 1893 trial of Lizzie Borden will be conducted in the same courtroom where she was originally acquitted.

The free program is open to the public, but seating is limited. Mail a self-addressed stamped envelope to "Lizzie, Redux Request", care of Clerk Magistrate Marc J. Santos, Bristol Count Clerk of Courts, 441 County St., New Bedford, MA 02740 for tickets. There will be two tickets issued per request. Tickets will be honored until 20 minutes before the performance, after which there will be a general admission until capacity is reached.
Source: http://www.southcoasttoday.com
August 25, 2009 2:00am

Unfortunately, I'm scheduled to work that evening--hope some others from this area can attend.-Cynthia
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I plan to be there! :grin: Should really be something to see.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Shelley, please make sure you let the rest of us know how the trial proceeded. Anyone planning to attend should arrive early and make a afternoon/evening out of it. Just around the corner from the courthouse on Court St. is the Ash St. Jail where Lizzie was confined during the week long trial. Also, right on Ash St. and connected to the jail is the old Sheriff's residence where Bridget Sullivan was employed during the time after the murders and up to the trial as live-in maid to the then Sheriff. Talk about keeping a star witness right under your nose. The part of the building where female inmates where kept back then is gone and is now part of the courtyard/excercise area for the male inmates. If you stand on Court St. facing the old Sheriff's Residence it should be the part of the jail to your left of the residence where Lizzie was kept.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Yes, but also know NOT to try to take photos of the jail! I did so with Kat and Harry one time and they came outside and wanted to confiscate my camera. I had to talk them out of it! It was close, too, as I almost had to hand it over.

Ever since 9/11---you cannot take photos of building like these.

Remember Harry and Kat? I thought I was going to get to see the inside of that place but quick!

:ooops:
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

YIKES! I was not aware of that fact Stef. Thanks for posting that. I have a few personal photos of the jail that were taken way before 9-11. Guess they didn't enforce it back then. I was just trying to be helpful and let people know there is more of the Lizzie history just around the corner.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Steve- I wish we had you with us for the April Mutton Eaters meeting- you could have really shown us the sights and the sites!
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

I wish I could of been with you guys too Shelley. Since I can't...make me an honorary Mutton eater LOL :grin: I would love to be able to get with all of you every time you have a get together or Lizzie related function. Kind of off the topic but my niece back home told me that who mee chow mein factory on 8th st. in Fall River had a fire and burned down. Is places like Mee Sums having a difficult time getting chow mein? One does get that chow mein sandwich craving now doesn't one? :wink:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Do you put vinegar on yours?
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

I sure do. YUM! It's a secret but thats why the Bordens had all that vinegar in the cellar......I got them eating their chow mein that way too. :grin:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Which is of course why they never tasted the poison Tuesday night in their fish dinner- the vinegar masked the taste. Case solved! Call the Herald.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Many years back, the Sheriff's house was on the New Bedford Preservation Society's house tour. At that time, it still had the tin ceiling in kitchen. I could imagine Bridget working there.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Stefani @ Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:13 pm wrote:Yes, but also know NOT to try to take photos of the jail! I did so with Kat and Harry one time and they came outside and wanted to confiscate my camera. I had to talk them out of it! It was close, too, as I almost had to hand it over.

Ever since 9/11---you cannot take photos of building like these.

Remember Harry and Kat? I thought I was going to get to see the inside of that place but quick!
Oh, yes, I do remember. They were firm with us about not taking any photos. I think we both managed to take one or two of the front side before they came out.

So unless you plan to occupy a cell for a while - don't!

I believe that was the same trip that while we were walking toward the back of the courthouse we had to wait on the sidewalk while a group of prisoners were led out of the courthouse by the side door and loaded into a van.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Yes, Harry, that was the same trip. I had forgotten that happened until you mentioned it!

We were also able to get inside the courtroom that time. It was a super duper treat! They said to go ahead and take photos! Unlike the jail. Those dudes took their jobs way too seriously!
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.