Lizzie and the hearse?

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Lenchen

Lizzie and the hearse?

Post by Lenchen »

I don't know where I read this (likely the Victoria Lincoln book), but I recall something about Lizzie hiring a footman and driver to take her around town and beyond in a hearse! Did I just dream this, or did anyone else hear about it, and if so, yea or nay? From what I recall, this was in her older years -- in any case, I don't suppose she ever "drove," so how did she get around, I wonder?
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

I don't remember ever hearing that, but one of the books--Lincoln's, perhaps--stated that Lizzie's chauffer-driven car looked liked it had strayed from a funeral procession. If I can find it, I will post it.
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

From 'A Private Disgrace':
"She [Lizzie] had been one of the first in town to buy an automobile; every afternoon, unless there was a downpour, she 'went out for a ride over the river' in the well known big black limousine that looked like a stray from a funeral procession, sitting alone and staring straight before her."

Hope this helps.
Lenchen

Post by Lenchen »

Thanks Stuart! I KNEW I had seen it somewhere; whether it's true, one would wonder....funny though that nothing much of her life after 1893 and Maplecroft was "followed" -- guess she was such a pariah to the community that no one wanted to be the bearer of such news --
Kat

Post by Kat »

Gee Stuart! That's an amazing "Vicky Lincoln" memory you have there! Prodigious!

Other mentions of Lizzie getting around:

Rebello, 326:
As a young man, Mr. Terry was a farmer, laborer, clerk, salesman (boots and shoes), and chauffeur. He was first employed as a chauffeur by Anna Howland Borden. From 1920 to 1927, Ernest was employed by Miss Lizzie Borden as a chauffeur. When Lizzie died, he continued to work as a chauffeur, according to the city directories in Fall River.

and
Rebello, 357:
[from the LBQ]
"Sullivan, Bernard F., "My Affair with Lizzie Borden," Providence Journal, July 10, 1977: 10.

James Borden, the son of Chester Borden of Somerset, Massachusetts, recalled the following in an interview with Bernard Sullivan, who purchased the Borden home in Somerset, Massachusetts, in 1975: "My family raised bulldogs and Lizzie used to stop here quite often for a visit and to check on our dogs. [Lizzie] Usually stopped after riding to her home in Swansea [Massachusetts]. She had a bulldog of her own. She had a big car and a driver and a platform near the back window for her dog to sit on and look out."
Lenchen

Post by Lenchen »

Fantastic research, you guys! OK, this one's for Kat, which I posted in another section but guess you're not still following -- it's off-topic, in "Tea Party," but what the heck -- here you go:

I just watched "The Changeling" on YouTube a few months ago! It's fantastic!!! Just as I remembered it! This is for Kat (and everyone else who's interested; but Kat mentioned it, so thought I'd point you in this direction) --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHaAxCVr ... re=related (part 1 - the rest follow)

and Here's Poppa! -- I could only find the Trailer -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4qUk0EcMt4
Kat

Post by Kat »

I did go there last night, even to the links and a bit of each video- but I don't understand the connection or reference to me?

I remember the George Segal movie- Where's Poppa.
I used to sell that movie at my cinema- Sach 57 in Boston, for weeks on end- (or it could have been at The Garden Cinema).

What's Up Doc? :smile:
Lenchen

Post by Lenchen »

Oh, gracious! I meant to reference Augusta! Thanks for responding; I'm still new here, dizzily and happily learning new names!!! :))

Cheers,
Lenchen
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's OK. When we had a first run movie at our cinema in Boston, it could run 26 weeks! I've seen Where's Poppa? so many times it's ridiculous! Also saw A Clockwork Orange about 26 times too! Image
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Here is a picture of a circa 1925 hearse from the company who handled my greatgrandfather's funeral:

I've wondered if Lizzie's (2 years later) would have been similar.

I remember the longest running movie in my hometown seemed to be Harold & Maude. It played at a small indie house here for almost a year! I lost count of the number of times I saw it.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Lenchen

Post by Lenchen »

Tina-Kate,

Thanks so much for posting; this is outstanding! And look at that price; all that for only 24 pounds! Ah, inflation...

I'm so pleased to see this because I don't know why (it's illogical, I know) but I had always pictured Lizzie riding in great style in the back of one of those long, black, well-polished, luxury 'limousine-style" hearses that we're more accustomed to seeing today! This does take a bit of the eeriness of that vision out of it, thank God!

Still, with lambswool and the whole of it, as described here, I'm sure she was very "comfortable." Thanks again for posting!
SummerCodSuz

Post by SummerCodSuz »

A new movie - Driving Miss Lizzie :)

Yay, me! My 50th post! I'm Somebody now, heh.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

SummerCodSuz @ Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:35 pm wrote:A new movie - Driving Miss Lizzie :)

Yay, me! My 50th post! I'm Somebody now, heh.
As much as I like Morgan Freeman, I do hope he wouldn't be the driver for Miss. Lizzie.
I'm remembering the bad accident he had, I believe last year.