fall river, small f small r, small minds, destroys history

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

mbhenty

fall river, small f small r, small minds, destroys history

Post by mbhenty »

:sad:

It goes beyond sadness.

Even a Providence TV station picked up on the lunacy of fall river's practices, being, the destruction of its heritage and legacy. A inherited endowment and uniqueness that speaks to the very soul of those who built this city.

The destruction of such a building is like taking out a box of family photos and tossing them into the fire as your grandchildren sit by your side. Such behavior speaks to the mute minded self-seeking small individuals that run this sad excuse for a progressive city. Like selling beads to the Indians. If you have money you can sell them to fall riverites.

The demolition of St Louis Church comes months after the demolition of St Johns, a block away. St Johns, a wonderful small granite church building, was removed by a Catholic bank which needed the parking space.

From what I hear the church roof of St Louis is gone and the walls will soon be gone. I for one try not to drive by it. It stinkingly pisses me off. One of the main characters in the destruction is a Mr. garcia. (with a small g, like his brain) What do you know. He owns one of the biggest Ford dealerships in the area.

Providence, which has long ago recognized the value of its old buildings felt strongly enough to run a story on Channel 10 about the demolition. AS if to say.....these people are nuts.

http://www2.turnto10.com/jar/news/local ... hed/34802/
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, (f)all (r)iver's destruction knows no bounds.

Below is the old Saint Anne's School on forest Street.

This building sets behind St Ann's Hospital and just a block south of St Ann's Church.

Not sure of the year it was built but I would say it was around the early part of the 1900s.

I have worked in this building when it was a school. Nothing spectacular about it. It's a wonderful very large building.

But, in typical fashion they began demolishing it this week. The hospital bought it and will probably place a parking lot there.

A shame. It's a wonderful majestic building, if for anything for its virtual size. The building would make excellent housing.

Another one bites the dust.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tina-Kate

Re: fall river, small f small r, small minds, destroys histo

Post by Tina-Kate »

mbhenty @ Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:31 pm wrote::
The demolition of St Louis Church comes months after the demolition of St Johns, a block away. St Johns, a wonderful small granite church building, was removed by a Catholic bank which needed the parking space.
My bolding, I think, sez it all.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Robert Harry

Post by Robert Harry »

What, pray tell, is a "Catholic bank?" Is that something like referring to the New York Times as a "Jewish newspaper?" The previous comments smack of a certain unfortunate stereotyping (I am tempted to use a stronger word) that I trust is out-of-bounds in this forum.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Not so.

The Bank is Saint Anne's Credit Union.

Saint Anne's Credit Union's birth was given by member's of Saint Anne's Catholic Church. Like the bank that I use to belong to (Espirito Santo Credit Union) you had to be Catholic and belong to the church to be a member. That was true with most church banks, thus the term Catholic bank. If that didn't make it a Catholic Bank I don't know what did.

If the New York Times required you to be Jewish to read their paper then we too could call them a Jewish Paper. But they are not and I don't.

So, to all Catholics I make my apology. (Though I do not think churches should be dealing in the banking business.)

Sorry Robert Harry that you take offense. That was not my intentions.

I grew up Catholic. Spent 8 years in Catholic School. As an adult I knelt with my elderly mother and prayed the rosary with her. Though I do not practice my religion any longer, I am more spiritual than ever and have a dear respect and admiration for true practicing Catholics who love their church and are devoted to their convictions.

Any if you would like to use stronger words, you should. It is an awful thing when someone is thinking ill of you and not letting you know. But it is even worst when you assume and are wrong.

But perception is in the heart of the holder and at times we must speak our minds. And I welcome that. Anything short of name calling is welcomed.

My term Catholic Bank is not a condemnation of the Cahtolic Church but of those who love money and start up a bank with the term "saint" in it and then go on to take down an historical building for the sake of profit and parking. The term "Catholic" in this instance was used as irony and sarcasm not contempt or resentment of a religious group.

But, you may think what you may. It is your right.

I am also aware that this is not the place to talk about religion. That has been made plain by the administrator of this forum.

Thus, I welcome her/he to make amends and take my comments down.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

This was Saint Johns. It was more beautiful seen from the side. But, buildings were built real close to it and it's wonderful stained glass windows were well hidden.

It looks like nothing but it was a wonderful little simple building. It was anything but ostentatious. I know very little about this church but by the tone of the granite it is a sure thing that it was quarried in (f)all (R)iver.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Below is bad shot of the back of Saint John's church. The modern building is the once Catholic Bank. Of course it is a private money making operation and probably has nothing to do with the Catholic Church. But, I'm sure the name still attracts the best clientele.

We all have very individual notions. Some are respected by others. Some despised. For me the notion of a church was a special place akin to a cemetery. To see one demolished is very troubling and sad. The fact that it's an historical artifact makes it that much more distressful. Let the establishment that is guilty of this infraction contain the word "Saint" in its title makes it analogous to a mortal sin.

Again all my irritation is with the bank and not the church.

Sad story about Espirito Santo Credit Union:

Working there was this women. She was hanging around with a younger guy against her husbands knowledge. She bought him a new car and many other toys. She embezzled many many thousand of dollars and broke the bank. The bank went out of business, closed down.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Maybe it's a Fall River thing MB, but I knew right away what you meant by a "catholic bank". No prejuduce even entered my mind with that term. It's a very accurate description of a catholic church credit union that...like you said....you had to be catholic and also a member of that church in order to bank there. St. john's is/was a beautiful church. very simple but holy at the same time.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, Below is a photo of the Old Espirito Santo Credit Union on Pleasant Street which is now another bank. The small Catholic Credit Union had its humble beginnings a block away on Alden Street, across from the church. It's lobby was not much bigger than a small bedroom from what I remember. That was over 40 years ago.

To the right of the bank in the photo below is a brick building. I grew up in that building and lived on the 4th floor. The side that faces you in the photo was all porches from the first level to the fourth. All of it was torn down, including the two upper floors, and all that remains is what you see.

My upbringing was closely woven with the Catholic Church When we moved my parents always made sure it was near a church.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

By the way...I was raised Roman Catholic as were probably 80% of Fall Riverites of my generation. Yet I do remember a time when I tried to get a car loan at St. Anne's credit Union and I couldn't because I was a member of St. Patrick's.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

I remember the building you lived in very well....4 stories and had porches all the way up on either side of the front....8 apartments I'm guessing? I can't believe thats gone......not because it was special in any way except it was kind of a Pleasant St. landmark.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

I also can't believe St. Anne's School is going.......one of my ex girlfriends taught there for years.
mbhenty

Re: fall river, small f small r, small minds, destroys history

Post by mbhenty »

Yep, Fall River and it's deadbeat building inspector is at it again. Trying to demolish a home, thinking no one would notice.

A historical home, no less. The Fall River building inspector has to be one of the most destructive misfits in the state. A very unqualified and ignorant character. Runs the building department like his own little private monopoly world. I have dealt with him on several occasions and a more impolite, discourteous, and offensive character would be hard to find.

547 Highland Ave. Given a permit for demolition by the city, a city who is tear-down crazy.

Not only that, the person who purchased the building told the community that he was going to restore it for his business. Then tried to demolish it, which was his plans all along. Another dead-beat.

The home is known as the Stephen Ashley House. Built in 1890, one year after Maplecroft. The structure as it stands has been destroyed over the years. Recently it was a nursing home. The interior has been chopped up. Even the exterior is just a shadow of what it was when it was built. Still, it is of historical importance.

But not to the small minds in fall river government.

http://www.heraldnews.com/article/20151 ... aking_ajax
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

The Morons in fall river continue to tear down its historical past. City fathers are idiots, and in many respects it reflects the population which lives here and who allow such greedy actions to come to fruition. If they could they would level a cemetery and build a walmart. The reckless and mindless morons are in the process of tearing down a wonderful old building in the South end.

This is the old Saint Patricks School. Solid building. Beautifully built.

Then again.... what else is new?
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

It's a dirty shame that so many historical building continue to be torn down. I find it appalling, and I don't even live in Fall River! I love touring or just driving by beautiful historical buildings. Sometimes I have to wonder where some people's heads are. Thank you for keeping us updated, MB.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I know that some times I sound so negative and bitter about what goes on in my town. But believe me it is deserving. There are so many incompetent and unscrupulous people at city hall, like the existing building inspector. If you want to knock it down, just go see him. He will condemn it for you.

A good example is Lizzie's church who's steeple was in danger of falling down, so said the building department. For a while there was noise about taking down the church tower.

The church was sold and lo an behold, there is nothing wrong with the tower as far as it falling over. Just needs some brick work.

(click to make BIG)
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I think your negativeness and bitterness, stems from your passion for historical buildings; I see nothing wrong with that. If I recall correctly, you went before the people at city hall the fight for historical buildings in the past, and they went ahead and tore the building(s) down in spite of your concerns. Wasn’t that in regards to the buildings across the street from 92 Second Street? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Good gravy, it's a good thing Lizzie's church was sold and the steeple was saved. What are those people at City Hall thinking? :shaking:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

No Twins, that was not me.

You are probably remembering when I had to fight Robert Dube, who wanted to split Maplecroft in Two and build a house in Lizzie's driveway. That was all over the local papers. Then later he wanted to raise the roof on the garage and build an apartment house there. Had to fight him then too.

Then there was the business across the street, on a property once owned by Lizzie Borden. They turned a single family home into a business, without a permit or variance, in a residential neighborhood. I fought that one in court and lost it. Could not get anyone to support me. Not even the preservation society. (think they were called something else then) And all I asked of them was a letter that stated that I lived in an historically important neighborhood. I specified that I did not want them to get involved. Just to verify the neighborhood I lived in, formally. They refused. Any society which springs up in fall river has the backbone of a snail. All they are concerned about are functions and publicity.

So I fought these people alone. Dude stood up and took the side of the business. As a neighbor he was no good. All he cared about was making a half a million on Maplecroft and getting out. Screw the neighbors. And that is a large problem here in f.r. No one cares. And those that do care only about what is going on next door to their house.

If I could fight the business across the street again I would. If you showed me the future and proof that I would lose, I would still fight them. For lost causes are the most worthy causes to fight.

Below is another wonderful building the city just demolished a couple of months ago. It is formally known as the Fowler School, or the Sprague Street School as we called it. Gone to make room for tightly packed homes.

:sad: :-? :mad:

Makes one want to: :alcohol:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Thank you for correcting me, MB! :grin: I was recalling from memory, and of course, that is not always a good idea. :oops: Now that you have refreshed my memory, I remember that you fought Robert Dube regarding changes he wanted to make to Maplecroft.

I knew you had fought something alone; had no support from anyone, so that must have been the business across the street, on a property once owned by Lizzie Borden. I recall Stefani correcting Shelley about this.

You'd think they would find something useful to do with these old buildings, such as the Fowler School, besides destroying them. :evil:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Talk is that there is no money to save Saint Ann's church in fall river.

More talk is it may have to come down. Can you believe it.

Think of the valued parking spaces they could create for the hospital across the street. :twisted: :alcohol:

http://www.heraldnews.com/news/20180430 ... 35-million
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Oh man, MB, Saint Ann's Church is such a magnificent structure! It breaks my heart to hear it is going to close and then probably end up being razed.

I read the article that was published in The Herald News, on October the 24th, 2018, regarding a Fall River man who had started a crowdfunding campaign to save St. Anne’s Church, and at the end of the article there is a slideshow. The caption reads:

January 1,0
Diocese church closures In Fall River
Since 2000, church closures haven’t come as a surprise in Fall River

Source: http://tinyurl.com/yansau7f

I went through the slideshow, and there have been 7 churches that have closed starting with the year of 2000. :shock:

Unbelievable! :shaking:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

The last Mass at St. Anne's Church was given to a full house yesterday (Sunday, November 25, 2018) morning. ( Source: http://tinyurl.com/ybxkavlu ) I find it very sad, even though I have not stepped a foot inside the church. However, I can tell from the pictures that MB has posted for us, that St. Anne's Church is breathtakingly beautiful. I always find it extremely sad when a church is up for being razed, which seems to be the future fate of the St. Anne's Church.

I enjoy watching talent competition shows such as American Idol, The X Factor, America's Got Talent, Britain’s Got Talent, etc. I came across a video on YouTube of Britain’s Got Talent, that I feel is very appropriate for how, I am sure, the parishioners of the St. Anne's Church feel.

The following video is of Father Ray Kelly, who is an Irish Catholic priest at St. Brigid′s & St. Mary′s parish at Oldcastle, County Meath, Ireland. He has such an awesome voice, and when he sings the song Everybody Hurts, by R.E.M., people are brought to tears because of the emotion he puts into his singing. See if you don’t agree: http://tinyurl.com/yaqdlpy3

:sad: :sad: :sad:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Meanwhile, destruction of Fall River's history continues. Nothing new. Beautiful building. Immaculate Conception Church on Thomas Street. Demolition has begun. :sad: :mad: :cry:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

They made every excuse in the book to knock this church down. The owner claims that fall river is too small of a city, 88,000, to convert such a building into apartments and save it. Making room for loads of houses on small lots. Sad. :sad: :cry:

twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

That is really is sad. Thank you for keeping us updated, MB. :sad:
Last edited by twinsrwe on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I am content to say that I am a child of fall river but not a product of it.

It's official. The Immaculate Conception Church building is gone. As a child I lived a couple of blocks from this building and occasionally its parking lot was one of my playgrounds.

A cherished and irreplaceable structure has been completely destroyed by amaurotic simple brains. All because the denizens of fall river are bequeathed with a lack of wisdom or love for its past. Oh sure, everyone loves to talk about fall river's rich heritage, its diverse culture, its opulent Victorian architecture. Bogus! In truth, fall river is intellectually and artistically bankrupt. They just don't want to spend the money. The idea of "Build it and they will come" is too dear for them and beyond their appreciation if not common understanding. The gain of profit is too seductive. The politicians are in building contractors' pockets...business as usual. And those who live on the prissy hill only care about their little corner of nirvana. I have experienced that and have paid 10,000 dollar in legal fees to assure me that it was true.

And if a conservation or preservation assembly exists at all in fall river it is as toothless as a duck with gingivitis and as spineless as a slug lying on its back, retreating to their shells, living in their own comfortable corner of Victorian bliss. And if not misguided, then injudiciously void of all initiative, courage, or heart. Prudence and devotion are just not their thing. Dressing up like Victorian swaggerers.... well. (?) That's fall river. It's the way it has been all my life, before my life, and will always be. Makes me sick.

My prediction is that Saint Ann's is next. It will cost 13 mil to renovate and the Catholic Diocese just doesn't want to spend the money. Across the street is Saint Ann's hospital. Very little parking. The allure of more parking and the lack of will behind the diocese and the city will almost assure the destruction of the church. Stay tuned.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

fall river doing what it does best. The N.B Borden school to be demolished. Lizzie's old school: :twisted: :arrow:

https://fallriverreporter.com/borden-sc ... emolished/
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Why in the world would the owner even consider demolishing the elementary school that Lizzie attended? Doesn't he realize that building is a tourist attraction? How sad that Fall River is in favor of destroying their historic buildings. :sad:
patsy

Post by patsy »

It's so sad to see these pictures and to know that so many places from history are gone or will be gone soon. Seems like more people savor the "now" of our lives more than any other time. Ugh.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Sadly, the natural rock formation in Freetown, Massachusetts known as Profile Rock has been destroyed. Reports are sketchy to why it happened and no reason has been given, whether vandalism, or like the Old Man of the Mountain, it just fell apart.

In any event it is very sad. Freetown is one town north east of Fall River. I have been out to the rock many times. There was an ethereal and spiritual aura to the stone formation. Now gone forever. Very sad.

Click on photo below to make bigger. In the photo on the right you can see the profile of a man's face.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Old post card of Profile Rock.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Thus far no one knows why Profile Rock fell over.

Geologists may be called in to determine what happened to what the Wampanoag Indians considered to be a likeness of the famous sachem Massasoit, chief of the Wampanoags.

Profile Rock and its demise is a perfect exemplification of loss. Enjoy what you love. Tomorrow it may be taken away.

https://www.southcoasttoday.com/zz/time ... ostpopular

:study:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I apologize for the delay in replying to your incredibility sad posts, MB.

I did some research and found out that Profile Rock was a 50-foot high granite rock formation. Granite is a hard stone, isn’t it? Do you think the destruction of the rock may have come about from being struck by lightning?

I can't image how the Wampanoag Indians feel with the loss of something so dear to them. I hope a Geologist will be called in to find out why Profile Rock collapsed, not only for the Wampanoag Indians, but others who are interested in what happened.
mbhenty wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:22 pm ...Profile Rock and its demise is a perfect exemplification of loss. Enjoy what you love. Tomorrow it may be taken away. ...
You are so right!
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

While doing some research on Profile Rock, I came across the following photo, which was taken at sunset on March 17, 2012, by Frank Grace (Click on image to enlarge):

64698953_10215150514495503_2224426239056150528_o.jpg

It is not only an absolutely beautiful photo with the stunning sunset, but it also shows just how large the rock formation was. Note the two people sitting on top of the 50 foot high granite rock formation!

Here is the link to the story behind this photo: http://tinyurl.com/y39n3whz

This photo is also on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/yydbuoax
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

MB, is this really the view that one saw, at the top of Profile Rock (Click on image to enlarge)?

k1fdcxknw32z.jpg
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Hello Twins. Thanks for taking interest.

No that is not the top of Profile rock. (this post is revised in another post below)

I haven't been out to that spot in almost 48 years, if you can believe it, but that is a place called "The Ledge" in Freetown right on the border with the north end of fall river. (almost in fall river) The Ledge is an old quarry. Granite was taken out of there by the Fall River Granite Company in the 1800s. A very high point. The bottom of the water pit at the ledge is reported to be well over 100 feet deep. Some of the stone taken from The Ledge was used to build the New York State House in Albany and some of the mansions in Newport, R.I.

We use to go out there when we were kids. Today it's a walking trail through the forest. Nature walk. The graffiti is shameful. Otherwise it's an impressive place.

Here are some photos of The Ledge taken from a site called New England Folklore.

Last edited by mbhenty on Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Thanks, MB. I didn't think that photo was of Profile Rock, as claimed; for one thing, it is obvious that the rock pictured is way above the tree tops, and any pictures that were taken of the real Profile Rock shows the rock may have been just slightly above the trees. This is excellent proof of why you can't believe everything you see and read on the internet. :sad:

I must say that the photo of "The Ledge" is a magnificent, very serene, view! If I lived anywhere near that place, it would definitely be my go to place for obtaining the alone time needed for reflecting on life, while clearing my mind and refreshing my very being.

I am always interested in nature and the beauty it presents to us.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Here is the photo of “Young Love” that Frank Grace mentioned in the above link for his story about the photo he took of the couple sitting on top of Profile Rock at sunset. This following photo is a much more realistic view of what I think Profile Rock was (Click on image to enlarge):

359ec3285521df3a92228b73a79709d7.jpg

Here is the story behind this photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/41658249@N02/6847014704
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

MB: Since Profile Rock was a hard granite rock formation, do you think it's destruction may have come about from being struck by lightning?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Hey Twins:

I just spoke to a friend of mine who lived down the street from Profile rock.

He said that if you circle the back side of Profile rock and climb it to the top you do get a panoramic view such as the one in the photo you posted. I know that both Profile and Ledge have been defaced with graffiti.

So the photo you posted above may indeed be a view from the top of the rock. Been there several times to walk my dog but never went around the rock cropping or climbed the rock.

So indeed the photo you displayed above may indeed be a view from the rock, but not the actual outcrop with the face likeness.

I'll send it to my friend and ask him. I do remember the view from The Ledge and it is very similar.

So not only can you not believe anything you read on the internet, apparently you can't believe anything I say. :grin: :grin: :grin: :shock: :cry: :oops:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Well Twins:

There you have it.

A friend who lived near the rock sent me the photo below.

When I use to visit him back in the 1970s, on my way to his house, I would turn off the road and walk my dog by the rock. (He lived on Slab Ridge Road) I would just approach from the "Profile" side. I never went exploring and never stayed long. The main path takes you right to the rock's profile outcrop. It's part of a nature walk.

But this is the rock from the air.

You can see the rock on the google map below. A little white spot just to the right of the inverted red teardrop. ( you can google/map Profile rock yourself and get a closeup.)

Live and learn. :oops: :oops: :oops:

(There's one member here on the forum who would ask the question: "I wonder if Lizzie ever visited Profile Rock?") :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

As the world turns.... so does fall river's gratuitous wrecking ball.

As we speak fall river is knocking down another mill. King Philip Mill in the south end of the city. A very large mill. Fear was that is would burn down and take half the neighborhood with it.

I had worked in the King Philip Mill building many times installing phone equipment and wiring. Sad to see it go.

But considering the derelict, boldness, and contemptuous little minds, along with the architecturally soulless vagrants that run fall river, what could one expect.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.... :roll:

An attempt is being made to save the old Borden school.

The power of "Lizzie." (click on photo to make BIG)

:arrow:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:mad:

As the title describes: fall river, small f small r for the small minds....

The mayor of the city was arrested this morning. Second time. This time for extortion. As my old mother use to say: Uma vergonha para a família!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ijc8SXwpvE
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

MB, out of curiosity, what does Uma vergonha para a família! translate in English to?
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

After viewing the following videos, I have to say the mayor of Fall River has been a busy boy, hasn't he? His actions are those of a boy, not a man who takes his role as mayor seriously and sets an honorable example for the citizens of Fall River.

Fall River Mayor Charged with Fraud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7r7xII8iaQ

Fall River Mayor Jasiel Correia Charged With 'Shameless And Greedy' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3U4k2TT6hI

Fall River Mayor Jasiel Correia Arrested On Charges Of Extortion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3hizRr8mxQ
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Twins:

The Mayor of fall river is half Portuguese and half Cape Verdean.

The Cape Verde Islands were founded by the Portuguese some time in the middle 1400s. After they colonized the Islands it became "slave centeral," as a stop over for slave ships. Thus, the Portuguese population of the 10 island group is dark skinned or mostly black. The island got it's independence from Portugal in the middle 1970s. There's a large Cape Verdean population in New Bedford, the city right next door to fall river. In contrast, there were almost no Cape Verdeans in fall river even though the two cities were only 10 miles apart. The reason for the Cape Verdean population here in the states was due to Whaling. As most know, New Bedford was the Whaling Capital of the world at one time in history.

I grew up in a predominately Portuguese city. I remember the old Portuguese old timers and some of their expressions. One of them was esto e' uma vergonha para a família!

When one of up broke the law or had the police pay our parents a visit it was said that that we shamed our family, thus, "Esto e' uma vergonha para a familia," which translates into, " It is a shame for the family."

Consequently, I can only imagine how shamed the mayor's parents must feel.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Thank you for the background information on the Cape Verde Islands, MB. I also want to thank you for providing the English translation of "Esto e' uma vergonha para a familia". I found your entire post very interesting.
Last edited by twinsrwe on Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

The mayor is not who he had projected himself when he first ran. When first elected he displayed great promise and a fresh start. New blood, new face, person of color, (aren't we all?) and youth to boot. But alas...

I will not comment on it any further since this is a political platform in the way of discussion and any such discourse is against forum rules. (especially with the forum administrator sitting by my right elbow) But I can tell you this one last thing. Just about an hour ago the mayor of fall river was dismissed, voted out of office by the city council. I believe that's a first.

There will be a temporary mayor in place until November elections. :-? :sad: :mad: :evil: :roll: :oops: