Paved streets in FR

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

Paved streets in FR

Post by Harry »

This mornings FR Herald News has an article on the city's intent to repave a number of streets. Lambert is the mayor:

""This project probably rivals the 1870s when the city’s population was just exploding," Lambert said, noting that the 1870s saw Fall River lay out new streets and pave existing ones."

It reminded me of Uncle John's reply at the trial (p163):

"Q. Is Second street a paved street, macadam street or a mere dirt street at the part that passes Mr. Borden's house?
A. Why, I think that is macadamized there. I think it is. I know it is very hard."
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yea, Morse at his best. Prevaricating.
Look at any picture c. 1892 - it looks dirt to me.

and:

http://lizzieandrewborden.com/Galleries ... St1892.htm

What do you all think?

Thanks, Har!
:smile:
Susan

Post by Susan »

Neat find, Harry. Hmmm, did a search just to be sure what "macadam" was, heres what I found out:

The road builders of the late 1800s depended solely on stone, gravel and sand for construction. Water would be used as a binder to give some unity to the road surface.

John Loudon McAdam (born 1756) designed roads using broken stones laid in symmetrical, tight patterns and covered with small stones to create a hard surface. McAdam's design, called "macadam roads," provided the greatest advancement in road construction.

The first road use of asphalt occurred in 1824, when asphalt blocks were placed on the Champs-Élysées in Paris. Modern road asphalt was the work of Belgian immigrant Edward de Smedt at Columbia University in New York City. By 1872, De Smedt had engineered a modern, "well-graded," maximum-density asphalt. The first uses of this road asphalt were in Battery Park and on Fifth Avenue in New York City in 1872 and on Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington D.C., in 1877.

From this site: http://inventors.about.com/library/inve ... sphalt.htm

Heres another look at Second Street:

To me it looks like hard packed earth. It looks fairly smooth without any gravel or stones. No, it certainly doesn't look like macadam to me. :roll:
diana

Post by diana »

In fairness to John here, he did just say he thought it was macadamized.
Kat

Post by Kat »

And he could have said he didn't remember, or he didn't know.
Morse always had an answer- that's what bugs me.
Doesn't matter if it's right or not.
Weird guy.

You are fair and forgiving of the man. :smile: