Just an interesting Fall River home for sale

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

nbcatlover

Just an interesting Fall River home for sale

Post by nbcatlover »

http://www.massrealty.com/southern-mass ... 0/70794544

This pagoda-style house was built in 1910 by well-known architect, Ralph Cram, for Reverend Arthur May Knapp. It's called Rising Sun and even has a Japanese tea room. I urge you to look at the photos of the house in the above listing. It's very different. Cram married Elizabeth Carrington Read in New Bedford. The Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York is one of his more famous commissions. Check out the 30 photos (the pink rug is a bit much for me).

There's an article about the original design and some sketches in a book that can be found in GoogleBooks online.

Google: Boston Bohemia, 1881-1900: Ralph Adams Cram Life and Literature

The info on the Fall River house starts on page 403.

The owner of Maplecroft should read this. The price on Rising Sun has been reduced to $329,888.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Yes: great find nbcatlover.

How do you dig up this stuff? You really have your finger on the pulse of history.

Yes, the Knapp House is very unique. Noithing like it in fall river. Smackdab in the middle of Victorian Village, the Highlands.

It sits just about 4 blocks from Maplecorft.

There are several dates out there for when the house was built, but the official historical register places that in 1894.

As you remind us......it is a perfect example of a unique home with landmark architectural features. There was even a postcard issued with the Knapp House on it.

So, to remind those real estate hunters out there......I know it's not Maplecorft, but in round figures, you can have this wonderful Japanese house, in a more prestigious neighborhood and pocket a HALF A MILLION dollars.

And in a two minute walk, you can still stroll down to Maplecroft and watch it decay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Thanks for the update. I like the postcard. I did note the earlier dates in the book about Cram, but I thought, perhaps, the plans were drawn at one time and there was a lag in time until the house was actually built. You would think the realtor would want to use the earlier date.

But I do think it shows Dube's sense of unreality in the value of Maplecroft. Cram was involved in major architectural commissions including Princeton University. Maplecroft has Lizzie after the murders. If he starts selling mantles, etc., piecemeal as has been rumored, the house will not be worth much in its run-down condition. It's the Lizzie mystique that give the house extra value (but still not worth $700,000, especially in the current real estate market).

P.S. The house photo in Boston Bohemia (page 406) is dated 1894. The house appears to be under construction in the photo.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Yes: The Reverend business must have been good for Rev. Knapp to build such a place.

Allow me to once again share my ignorance. But I am not sure how they date a building, but I would imagine it starts with the laying of the foundation.

For instance, when they lay a cornerstone. The stone does not reflect the date when the building is finished, but the date it was placed. (??? I think :roll: )

The tea room could have been placed at a later date.

A friend of mine who did some work in that home, almost 20 years ago, said that there was a lot of rot at the base near the foundation, especially under the tea house, when he worked there. Hopefully they have taken care of it.

At that time a lawyer use to own it. I remember placing a ladder on a telephone pole in the back yard of the Knapp house to do some work and the lawyer coming out of the house shouting for me to get off his land. (he was right) But there was no easy way to access that pole without going through his yard.

But, I have never been inside the Knapp House myself.

There was a real estate sign outside on the lawn that stated that the Sale Was Pending. But, I guess that fell through because it's back on the market.

Below is a Google photo of what it looks like from the street. The wall out front is really elegant, though you can't tell in the photo. It has a slight bow along the top that, in person, makes it look ever so graceful.

:study:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:cry: :mad:

OH YES, one more thing.

In fall river. (small f and small r)

If I wanted to buy the Arthur Knapp House tomorrow and knock it down to build a new shinny raised ranch. Historical significance or not.

No one could stop me.

:alcohol:
xyjw

Post by xyjw »

Gorgeous house and very unique. I could be very happy there!
patsy

Post by patsy »

Not my choice of style at all, yet looking at the pictures I felt drawn to it big time. Hmmm The living room is gorgeous. Who would think a house of that style would be right in the midst of all those victorians. Thanks for sharing.
MysteryReader

Re: Just an interesting Fall River home for sale

Post by MysteryReader »

nbcatlover wrote:http://www.massrealty.com/southern-mass ... 0/70794544

This pagoda-style house was built in 1910 by well-known architect, Ralph Cram, for Reverend Arthur May Knapp. It's called Rising Sun and even has a Japanese tea room. I urge you to look at the photos of the house in the above listing. It's very different. Cram married Elizabeth Carrington Read in New Bedford. The Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York is one of his more famous commissions. Check out the 30 photos (the pink rug is a bit much for me).

There's an article about the original design and some sketches in a book that can be found in GoogleBooks online.

Google: Boston Bohemia, 1881-1900: Ralph Adams Cram Life and Literature

The info on the Fall River house starts on page 403.

The owner of Maplecroft should read this. The price on Rising Sun has been reduced to $329,888.
Since I'm a Knapp, I want it :grin: I just don't have 400,000 laying around.