Harbor Hopping

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Doug

Harbor Hopping

Post by Doug »

My December 2004 issue of Yankee magazine arrived and I see an advertisement for "Harbor Hopping in New England 8 Day/7 Night Cruise" on page 11. Stops appear to include New London, Block Island, Newport, Fall River, New Bedford, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket. Offered by American Cruise Lines from June through October this could be an interesting itinerary. A relaxing way to see southeast coastal New England without the traffic woes and competing for motel space! There is no web address shown but the telephone number is 1-800-814-6880 if anyone is interested.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks! That's cool! I don't think I'd want to do it in October, but a warm season would be nice.
I was in Nantucket a few days in the early 1970's. I bet it's real 'spensive to stay there nowadays. A ship might be the way to go!

I want to go to The Isles of Shoals!
Harry

Post by Harry »

Doug, they do have a web address at:

http://www.americancruiselines.com/

Click Itineraries and then New England Islands.

They say they can make arrangements when in FR to visit the Borden sites. I assume they mean the B&B and the FRHS.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

I would not be the Tourism Director of Fairhaven were it not for retired Fairhaven school teacher Natalie Hemingway, a member of the town's Tourism Committee and former owner of a local bus tour company. She got me involved in all of this.

Anyway, for the past couple of years, Natalie has worked for American Cruise Lines when they stop in New Bedford. She does a portrayal of a character from our town's history. Last year, she was the on-board guide for the whole Fall River-Nantucket-Martha's Vineyard-New Bedford leg of this cruise during a couple of the weeks it ran. (She borrowed some of my Lizzie stuff to brush up on her Fall River facts.)

These are very upscale tours, advertised not only in Yankee but in Smithsonian and other publications. The ships are virtually brand new (the American Glory was launched last year and a new one is due to go online this spring.) The Eagle and the Glory hold just fifty passengers. It a 100% first-class cruise.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Thanks for the cruise input Kat, Harry, and Chris. It sounds like American Cruise Lines tries to do the job right. I called the 800 number for the brochure and the lady I spoke with said they do cruises in various places up and down the east coast of the United States.

Kat, the Isles of Shoals make an interesting trip. The Unitarian Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ hold conferences on Star Island each summer. While many of our friends attend these conferences regularly (we are UU) Marilou and I never have. In July of 2003 we took a day trip to Star Island to see some folks we know who were there for a week-long program. The boat from Portsmouth winds its way around and past several of the islands before docking at Star. There is much human and natural history to see and absorb; on a day trip you barely scratch the surface. Across Gosport Harbor from where the boat docks, perhaps a mile away, is Smuttynose Island where two infamous axe murders took place in 1873. Edmund Pearson wrote about these crimes; I believe his piece is called "Murder at Smuttynose."

I should have noted above that the Isles of Shoals are located off the coast of Rye, New Hampshire and Kittery, Maine.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Thayne and I celebrated our 10 and 15 year anniversaries by spending long weekends on Martha's Vineyard.

It is a wonderul place.

This cruise would be heaven...

I guess I better save my pennies!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you for the info Doug.
I am enamoured of the Smutty Nose crimes- just can't get enough!
Something draws me there.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Kat, have you seen "Moonlight Murder at Smuttynose" by Lyman V. Rutledge? Or Celia Thaxter's article from Atlantic Monthly titled "A Memorable Murder"?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Is that a booklet? Sherry has it and offered to lend it to me.
I have been all over the Smutty Nose website and yes read Celia Thaxter and Pearson and another treatment which title I can't think of at the moment.
Also the fictinalized account "The Weight Of Water," which Diana told me about.
I hear no boats will take you to Smutty Nose anymore but one can take a boat and go there themselves?
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

Hi, Kat! Yes, the first account mentioned is a pamphlet. Edmund Pearson also did an interesting short account. I read Weight of Water and disliked it for making Maren, the escaped victim, into the killer. I think she was a survivor with grit--not an incest driven killer, but then, what do I know? It's interesting, I guess. Maren's sister used to work for the Thaxter family, so Celia was writing about a very personal event in her account.

I think you can get off at Smuttynose. The Isles of Shoals tours site should give the necessary info. Yet another trip I long to make myself!

--Lyddie
Doug

Post by Doug »

The ferry from Portsmouth does not stop at Smuttynose Island but offers service to Star Island across the harbor. Smuttynose is privately owned and there are caretakers present on the island during the summer. Smuttynose can be reached by private boat and I believe visitors can walk around the island but there are no facilities there. The house where the murders occurred is gone but its foundation apparently still exists.

Here are some websites:

http://www.seacoastnh.com

http://www.islesofshoals.com

http://www.starisland.org