Undertaker Winward

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

augusta

Undertaker Winward

Post by augusta »

Does anyone know where Winward's undertaking establishment was? I think it was on Bank Street but don't have a number/address. Where is Bank Street, if it still exists today? Does anyone have a picture of his place of business?
Allen

Re: Undertaker Winward

Post by Allen »

Rebello has his full named listed as James E. Winward. In the Fall River directory of 1880 there is a James E. Winward listed on page 343, but his occupation is shown as saleman. His address is listed as "13 S. Main, b. 8 Winward Ave. " Not sure if this is Undertaker Winward or not. I'm not sure why an undertaker would be listed as a salesman. But then I have seen Andrew listed as a furniture dealer.
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Yes, there you guys go again. Opening a Pandora's box which has been sitting on my desk for quite a while.

To tell the truth, I just never got around to researching Winward.

When Lizzie died there were two Winward Undertakers in Fall River. One of them was run by a William Ridings. William Ridings lived in my building—on the second Floor. Phoebe Davenport lived on the first floor where I live today.

Now, I don't know if the two Winward Undertakers were part of the same company.(?)

J.E Winward and Company was run (I believe) by William Ridings. William Ridings lived next door to Maplecroft in the Davenport House on the 2nd floor. By the time Lizzie Borden died, he had moved to his own residence on Robeson Street in the city. The J.E Winward and Company had it's offices on Bank street at 174.

(today 174 Bank Street is a parking lot behind the Fall River Bank Five)

Now, there was also a James B Winward undertaker. He ran the E.P. Winward and Sons Undertakers. They had their undertaker business 142 Durfee Street. Thought he had his business here, fall river directories list him as living in Warren R.I.

James B. Winward of Warren, with his offices on Durfee street, (close to, or right on what is now a parking lot for Verizon on Durfee Street) was the Winward who buried Lizzie.

Now..............my question is: Is there a connection or partnership between J.E. Winward and Company and E.P Winward and Sons Undertakers?

What was the connection between James B Winward and William Ridings. Did William Ridings run a branch for J.B. Winward? Or where the competitors?

Will need to do a little research to discover that. Nothing of importance, but interesting. Huh?

:study:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

P.S.

There were two James working for Winward. When the elder Borden's died the talk is of James E Winward. By the 1920's it referred to as the James B Winward and Sons. Could be that James B. was the son or brother of James E.

Perhaps it was James B, who buried Lizzie.

:study:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Augusta:

Never have seen a photograph of Winward's funeral parlor.

But, I can show you where they once stood.

James B Winward had his office on Durfee Street in 1925.

If I'm not mistaken, James E. Winward had his business in the A.J. Borden building when Lizzie died, and sill somewhere at that address when Borden Senior died. 1n 1892 he was listed as having his undertaking business at 13 South Main Street which was the property owned by Andrew Borden and which would later become the A.J. Borden Building. His primary business was selling rugs and furniture. Most undertakers were in the business of selling furniture, such as Andrew Borden. By the twenties, Winward had his own place on Durfee Street.

Below is a map of the section of fall river displaying where both Winward building were located in the twenties.

If you look just to the left off center top, you will see Durfee St. There you will also see Pine St. Just above the words "Pine St" you will notice a gray white clearing in the shape of an L. This is where Winward had his Undertaker business in the twenties. It is a parking lot for Verizon.

Now if you look towards the bottom of the map, just off center to the right, you will see the word "Bankfive." Behind it are two parking lots. This is where Ridings' J.E. Winward Company undertaking business was located on Bank Street. Further to the right you can see the old Abby Grill, Lizzie's church.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stillnotalice

Post by stillnotalice »

J E Winward & Co at 134 Bank St. is listed as the undertaker on my great-grandmother's 1909 death certificate. Emma Rowena (Macomber) [ Wilcox] Bence lived at 864 Bay St. at the time of her death. She was Lizzie's 2nd cousin.