Gothic and other Architecture

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

mbhenty

Gothic and other Architecture

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, to pick-up where I left off on another thread (say good-by to Lizzie's church) I thought I would move it here.

As I mentioned before, and cannot stress it much more, I was surprised by how wrong I was about Gothic Architecture buildings in FAll River.

I remember two others that are not listed in my little historical properties of fall river booklet.

One is on the corner of Cherry and Rock, across from the Gothic First CC. The other is on the corner of Winter and Pine. I have worked for the owners of both of these in the past, but I cannot remember if I did any work inside. It was many years ago.

The first photo is of the house on Pine. It is the back of the house. I pulled it from the net, so I don't have a photo of the front.

The other photo of the peak of a house is the house on Rock and Cherry. I took that photo myself a couple of years back. I wanted a photo of the impressive brackets, so it is the only photo in my photo file.

Both are of Gothic Architecture, which have its main trademarks in dripping brackets, large oval church windows, and peaky dormers.

In the firs photo, you can see the tiny oval windows high near the roof line. Cool little house.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Re: Gothic and other Architecture

Post by mbhenty »

Yes:

I love this classic Gothic Window.

I took this photo years ago in New Bedford. Don't know where it is. Can't remember. But I had the photo in my file and thought I would post it. Why??? Because it is so beautiful. I'm sure you will agree.

Possibly, someone on here is familiar with it. :?:

The photo of the window is in the post below. I could not get it to load on this post.

:study:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Gothic Window, New Bedford, Ma.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Yes:

One more example. Can't find any others.

This is the front gate of Oak Grove Cemetery, and the little building near it, where the Borden autopsies were conducted.

Both, Gothic Revival.

Most Gothic buildings date early, 1840s etc.

The Victorians were notorious for taking different architectural designs and mixing them together, confusing motif at times.

The stop signs are a nice touch, huh? :-? They should not have been nailed to the granite, defacing the granite. They should have been free standing.
patsy

Post by patsy »

Love the Gothic style and some of the interiors are so beautiful. Don't see that in the midwest.

This site has some nice pictures with some in MA and interesting background information.

http://architecturestyles.org/gothic-revival/