FALL RIVER AUTHORS

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

mbhenty

FALL RIVER AUTHORS

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Susan Helen Wixon was a Fall River School Committee person, scholar, advocate for teacher's rights and prolific author. Well known? No! Though there is a school building in fall river that was named after her. She was born in Dennisport, one of eight children, out on Cape Cod. (She had a brother named Nymphus. What a name) Her father James was a sea Captain. Must have had a very profitable life as a Captain, judging by his home in Fall River in the photo below.

She must have been an interesting person. From what I have read, she fought for fair teaches pay and position and advocated the abolishment of corporeal punishment in schools.

Below is one of her books for sale on ebay. Eighteen thousand dollars. Worth more like 18 cents. For real? Probably 18 dollars. I have no idea where this seller gets his price. Is the book rare? Yes it is. Probably the only one up for sale on the web market. Is it sort after? NO. No matter how rare something is, it doesn't make it worth thousands just because its rare. There must be a demand. Nationwide there is no demand. None that I have ever experienced. Is it in demand to Fall River collectors? NO. Not for 18,000 dollars. Not only that. This seller is asking crazy money and gives us no reason why he thinks the book is worth it. It is not. Ridiculous. Fair market value would be between 5 and 25 dollars. Even if it belonged to Lizzie Borden, a thousand bucks would be steep. (though in truth it could bring 200 or 2000+ Lizzie Borden collectors are fickle. Yes I am.)

How important is Susan Wixon? Well, you will find no mention of her in PARALLEL LIVES.

:study:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harry

Re: FALL RIVER AUTHORS

Post by Harry »

It appears she was a sister of Francis Wixon, deputy sheriff of Bristol County who was in the police station when they received the alarm of the crimes.

From the Knowlton book, Glossary A:

"WIXON, FRANCIS IL 1841 - 1908: born in Dennisport, Massachusetts, son of Captain James and Bertha Wixon. He came to Fall River, Massachusetts, with his family and, at the age of sixteen, entered the apothecary business. After the outbreak of the Civil War, he enlisted in Company C, the 5th Rhode Island Regiment, holding the rank of private under the command of General Burnside. His service was primarily at Roanoke Island. In 1872, his father died after thirty years' service as deputy sheriff of Bristol County, Massachusetts. He was appointed to succeed his father and served in that position until his death in his adopted town. He married Miss Anna D. Estes of Fall River in 1875. He was a member of the G.A.R. as well as various fraternal organizations. At the Central Police Station in Fall River on the day of the murders, he was one of the first on the scene. He testified at both the preliminary and final trials, providing evidence which detailed his observations in and around the Borden residence on August 4, 1892."
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find