92 Second Street now

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Matt1979

92 Second Street now

Post by Matt1979 »

I stayed at the Borden house in late August/early September and it was my first break in the United States (I am from Britain). I was very impressed with the way the house had been made to look as it did on the day of the murders. I noticed, though, after I had seen the "92 Second Street now" photos on the website that there had been one or two (only minor) changes since these photo were taken.

I noticed that the tall-legged table in the sitting room had a dark-coloured cloth/mat on the lizzieandrewborden.com photos (almost the same as the cloth in the crime scene photo). But when I stayed at the house, a smaller white cloth was in its place. I am not sure what happened to the other cloth and whether the staff have had difficulty finding a replacement.

One of the Abby Borden crime scene photos shows two ornamental bells on the dresser. I have never seen reproductions of these, so I guess they must have had difficulty finding identical ornaments.
mbhenty

Re: 92 Second Street now

Post by mbhenty »

Yes:

Matt1979

What appears to be two bells is actually a brush and a mirror. At least I am pretty certain that is what the are. The one on the left is a brush and the one on the right a looking glass. (small hand held mirror) After all, it is the sort of dresser one sits by to fix one's hair. They are probably made of silver.

The photo below is small, so you would need to look very closely. You CAN'T click on it. It will NOT get any bigger. Sorry. (I am certain that is the photo you are talking about)

Also, there are many things in that house that are not vintage. Though some of the things we see in old photos are very close, things we don't see were only guessed at, Victorian period stuff. Aunt Vicky. You know who that is....right? :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt1979

Re: 92 Second Street now

Post by Matt1979 »

Thanks for the photo. I have had a good look at your copy and I can now see that what I believed were bells do look more like a hairbrush and a mirror. The other copy of the photo I saw wasn't very clear. I can't make out what the object is between the brush and mirror, though.

It must have been hard for the staff to find vintage items to match everything, although they have done a really good job. Something I thought was a bit odd, though, was that the sitting room sofa didn't have any cushions when I am certain a cushion is visible in the Andrew Borden crime scene photo - there is light-coloured object that his head is resting on.