Bridget's Lawyer

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

mbhenty

Bridget's Lawyer

Post by mbhenty »

Yes:

For all you hardcore followers of who's who in the trial of Lizzie Borden, here's a little tidbit.

The house below is for sale. It's on Whipple Street in the south end of the city. The realtor has it listed as "Lizzy Borden's Attorney's house.

Sort of close, but no banana.

The house was built in 1878 by John W Cummings. As a matter of fact Eli Bence lived next door, one or two houses over. Attorney John W Cummings was indeed involved in the trial, but not as "Lizzy's" lawyer. As a matter of fact he was going to testify about the poison before the poison testimony was thrown out. He could have been Bence's attorney. Thus he was an attorney for the prosecution. He never testified.

He lived in the little yellow house on Whipple Street.

Now John W. had a brother James T. Cummings. James T. Cummings worked out of the same law office as John W.

James T. Cummings was the attorney for Bridget Sullivan.

There's the connection.

But it was John W. Cummings who lived in that house on Whipple Street. In 1886 John W. went on to be Mayor of Fall River and Moved to a huge house on the hill.

Did they not all.

:study:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NancyDrew

Re: Bridget's Lawyer

Post by NancyDrew »

Do you know the asking price? My husband and I might take a ride to Fall River some weekend (busy this one, unforutunately) and take a gander at it...
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes

The asking price is 169,000. Quite a decent old house. Not common in architecture to those in the neighborhood. Really belongs in the Highland District where similar houses stand.

But you wouldn't want to live there. Not a bad neighborhood, but not the greatest place to live. Heck, there are few real nice neighborhoods to live in fall river.

By 1896 Attorney John W. Cummings, the man who built the little yellow house on Whipple Street moved into a small Mansion on Locust Street, almost twice the size of Maplecorft. Aside from the size of the property a true mansion indeed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NancyDrew

Post by NancyDrew »

Oh I'm going to check this out. $169,900 is what houses are selling for in southern Mass right now, and you're right...Fall River (the natives pronounce it "Fall Reeve") is nasty. But...if I had a chance to buy the Lizzie Borden house (along with business) I would. I think it would be exciting!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes:

Here you go.......

Your chance to move up from Whipple Street to French Street.

Maplecroft just went back on the market for sale this week.

:study:
Franz

Post by Franz »

Goog luck, NancyDrew!
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
Mara

Post by Mara »

NancyDrew, really, they say "Fall Reeve"? I wonder why? I learned that my father's family (those still of his generation), who all Irishmen who grew up around the Ashokan Reservoir in Upstate New York, pronounce reservoir as "ressivoy." This kind of stuff fascinates me. Any idea how "Fall Reeve" came about?

Edited to add: I see the cute little Whipple Street house is still for sale. They came down on the price, too. It's less than half a mile from 230 Second. Hmm.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I'm just wondering, why would Bridget have a Lawyer while she was in Fall River ?
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.