Fall River nuptials get grand reception

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

RonRico

Post by RonRico »

Interesting article in todays Boston Globe. Nothing to do with Lizzie but show the nice folks in Fall River.

By Ralph Ranalli, Globe Staff | January 1, 2005

She endured thyroid cancer, the challenges of single motherhood, and losing her grandmother to a drunk driver. He battled a seizure disorder that will eventually require brain surgery. If anyone needed a fresh start in 2005, it was Holly Carreira and Kristopher Ledoux.

They got one yesterday, courtesy of the city of Fall River. Named the official wedding couple of the city's annual First Night celebration, Carreira and Ledoux not only had their nuptial dreams fulfilled, but became a unique interactive attraction at the festivities last night.

Carreira, a 23-year-old medical file clerk from Fall River, and Ledoux, a 24-year-old warehouse worker from Assonet, won an essay contest to become the official wedding couple. In her essay, Carreira wrote how Ledoux had made life with her 5-year-old son, Austin, complete and had ''assumed the father-figure role with love and devotion."

''Their story stood out because they were so sweet," said Maureen Ryan Estes, First Night chairwoman. ''We're excited to be a part of this."

Estes said that the uniquely interactive nature of the annual First Night wedding, now in its second year, has made it a popular attraction at the city's New Year's Eve festivities. Authorities estimated that about 10,000 people participated in First Night.

Revelers were not only invited to witness the wedding ceremony, conducted by Mayor Edward M. Lambert Jr. on a special stage constructed in front of the city's Government Center, but also to dance at the reception. Held at the Police Athletic League hall, the party included a special dance floor and viewing area for First Night visitors roped off from the main room, which was for invited guests only.

The public nature of the wedding was enough to give anyone stage fright, but Carreira said she was coping with it yesterday by reminding herself that, as a Fall River native, the city was really like an extended family.

''Fall River is my home," she said. ''I know a lot of people. I feel comfortable here."

Making the night sweeter, she said, was the fact that so many local businesses donated goods and services for the wedding. It would have taken the couple, who have known each other since the second grade, a long time to save the money to pay for a party even close to the one they had last night, she said. Medical expenses from her cancer and her fianc's seizure disorder have consumed most of their income.

Local merchants paid for the hall, band, and food for the reception; dresses for the bride and maid of honor; tuxedos for the groom, best man, and the ring bearer, her son; a limo; and a night at a local hotel. Estes estimated that the donated goods and services at $20,000.

Family and friends marveled yesterday at how the city has come through for the couple.

''It's amazing," said maid of honor Tarrah Parkman, 23. ''We thought it would take a couple of years for them to get married."

The bride's father, 62-year-old Tony Carreira, said people the family never met before have been offering congratulations and blessings.

''I've never seen anything like it," he said. The whole city seems to be pulling together. I love it."

Ralph Ranalli can be reached at rranalli@globe.com.
Ron
Allen

Post by Allen »

That is truly a wonderful story. I cannot imagine a wedding that could be any more memorable from the way it is reported. I'm sure they will look back on it for the rest of their lives as one of the greatest days of their lives, even more so because they were blessed enough to share this day with not only friends and family, but the entire city.
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche