CHRISTMAS AT THE BREAKERS

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

CHRISTMAS AT THE BREAKERS

Post by Kat »

Newport, R.I.
Harry and I toured The Breakers, but not at Christmastime!
Be prepared for opulence :santa:
Plz cliconpic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Re: CHRISTMAS AT THE BREAKERS

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:
Newport was my stomping ground when I was a teenager right into my twenties. Every weekend nights we would hit the clubs, and days the beaches. But I never toured any of the mansions or had I the desire too. I could never make sense of scrutinizing how the other side lived nor torturing myself by inspecting a life style that I could never have. It was bad enough I had to work inside those places at times. Essentially, the rich and famous bore me. But that doesn't take anything away from the lushness and grandeur of the Newport Mansions. They are really something. Something from another world and time. If only we could all live that way. Though there are some of us who would not really care too.

But touring one of those places you get a real comparison between rich and rich. That is to say... Lizzie was rich, but poor when compared to the likes of Cornelius Vanderbilt or the Astor family. Once you enter one of these Newport giants you get a better perspective how ridiculous it is to call Maplecroft a mansion. It is just a big house, and on the smaller side when compared to some of the homes being built today by less than rich individual.

The Newport clubs.

Newport was a hopping place back in the 70s. My favorite club was the Electric Elephant, where I whirled and gyrated along the dance floor in my platform shoes and silk bell bottom slacks. With platforms shoes, and pants that went down to the floor, I looked 6'3" or 6'4". Though I was straight, unexpectedly I got more hits from guys than gals, which at times was unnerving. I know how a girl feels when she get's pinched from behind. In the 70s Newport clubs were places where you could let your hair down and have a splendid time. I don't think I ever saw a fist fight in one. My favorite drink :arrow: a pink lady. Gin and grenadine. And don't forget the cherry.