Ash Street Jail in New Bedford

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

steves719

Ash Street Jail in New Bedford

Post by steves719 »

Hi to everyone :grin: My name is Steve and I am new to this Lizzie Borden Forum so I hope I am doing all this right. I was born and raised in Fall River, Ma. and I was born on the same day as Lizzie (July 19) 98 years after Lizzie was born. . I am just curious if their is anyone else in the forum that also shares the same birthday as Lizzie and I?
Also I have been reading all the posts in the different topics in the forum and especially the ones about the different places that are connected to Lizzie Borden. What I haven't seen mentioned much is the Ash St. Jail in New Bedford. I worked at this jail for 5 years. This is where Lizzie was held in detention during the time period of her trial in New Bedford in 1893. It is the oldest operating jail in the United States. Next to the jail is the old sheriff's house on Court St. What alot of people might not know is that Bridget Sullivan (the Borden maid) lived and worked at this Sheriif's house after the murders and during the year of Lizzie's trial. Just thought I'd share this bit of info and that maybe people might want to include it on their visit to New Bedford to see the court house since it is right down the road from the court house on Court St. Corner of Ash St. and Court St. I have a picture of myself outside the jail and I will post it as soon as I get it scanned.
In my ain countrie