I need a photo of the Churchill home- as it was.

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

LizzieB_board_game

I need a photo of the Churchill home- as it was.

Post by LizzieB_board_game »

Hello, new to posting here!
I need a photo of the home of ADELAIDE (BUFFINTON) CHURCHILL. It should be from the period of the murders.
Can anyone assist?
Thank you!
"Lizzie Borden's Ghost- The Board Game"
Learn more www.LizzieBordensGhost.com
Kat

Re: I need a photo of the Churchill home- as it was.

Post by Kat »

Was just looking at the newly revised FRHS website, and as the screen changes to the “Lizzie Borden Collection” I clicked on “find out more” tab, bottom left. It gave me “Collections” to choose from and I picked “Arthur Phillips.”
In this link, it looks like there is a shot of the Churchill house, somewhat obscured by a tree.
It’s the closest I’ve found, as to the actual house- that is, if #92 is indeed depicted there next door.
Since Phillips took, or caused to be taken, certain photos concerning the Borden murder case, it would pretty much be assured to be from 1892-1893.

https://fallriverhistorical.org/wp-cont ... -1web2.jpg
Kat

Post by Kat »

I found another view of the Churchill house, from Pearson’s book, Trial of Lizzie Borden, published 1937, page 179. His illustration is from “Boston Globe, August 11, 1892.” Can’t know how accurate it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

The photo of the Churchill/Borden houses is new to me also. Related to my 'months ago' thread on street lighting. I was assuming street lights were only at the corners, but you can see a street light on the west side of Second, almost directly in front of the Miller/Bowen house. So the Borden home would not have been pitch dark at night, if indeed that is a light and it worked.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I didn’t notice the poles! That’s something Harry would see! Thanks!
Here are 3, I think?
I’ll have to ask Stefani about the date of the picture now (she worked on their website), and not assume it’s by Phillips.
Plz clic on pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes Stef confirmed it’s a Phillips photo and contemporary to the crime.
And what I thought might be a phone pole, she thought might be a telegraph pole.
Kat

Post by Kat »

We’d have to look at other Second Street pics to see if there was street lighting. Stef said it would be gas at that time.
What is the link (or title) to your topic, camgarsky, plz?
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

The thread was "Street Lighting".

There are many contemporary newspaper articles about the introduction of electric street lights to Fall River....even in the early 1890's. That said, it is clear that the electric street lights were introduced methodically based on location. Can't imagine a non-intersection location on Second St. would be on the early lists for electric upgrades. I'm guessing the light pole is gas and someone came by every evening to light that street light. It was still a real city job in the 1890's. There are also FR articles about some of the drama of getting that gig.

Of course, the pole immediately in front of the Bowen/Miller house that we can't see the top of, could be the telephone line and the other pole further back in the photo is indeed for the telegraph lines.

I think these types of details are fun and bring the story to life more for me....makes it all 'more real'.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes, and thanks, and I agree.
The Dr.s mostly had phones- Kelly did and I think Bowen and Chagnon behind the Borden’s .
Do the City Directories show phones?
Yea this is a “Harry topic” for sure!
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Just noticed that the street light post is also shown in the Boston Globe illustration at the top of this thread. It is in the bottom of artwork, right next to the word "North" and the Miller house.

Again, I am stunningly amazed how precise these drawings are.