Ebay offering

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

twinsrwe

Re: Ebay offering

Post by twinsrwe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:33 am

Well, MB, as tempting as THAT offer is, I'm afraid I'll have to turn it down. I wouldn't give the seller 2 cents for it! :lol:

It's amazing what some sellers will try to sell, for an over the top price, by simply slapping Lizzie's name on it! :roll: It's even more amazing that someone will buy it!!! :shock: :eek:
"You can fool some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all the people all of the time."~ Abraham Lincoln :grin:

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:12 pm

There was once a man.... some say he was a prophet or God. He said something like: I'll make you fishermen of men.

Well, someone taught this eBay seller how to be: "fishermen of chumps and fools."

This book is currently for sale for 50 dollars at the Fall River Historical Society. And if you order one I am certain that the authors will sign it for free.

It is not rare. What is rare is the limited edition that was issued in a slipcase. That issue sold out quickly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:07 am

Here it is. The real thing.

Uncommon for a Lizzie owned signed book since her surname is spelled out, 'Borden'. In pencil.

The book is dated 1893. It's probably an early Lizzie signature, since most of her later books were just initialed, L.A.B.

The first bidder must have placed a very high first bid, since another bidder came in a $700 and $800 and it still did not reach the level of the first bid left on the book by the first bidder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lizzie-Borden- ... SwsZJafYkT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:11 am

UPDATE:

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:15 pm

Here we go...

Eight hours left on bidding and the bid is up to 960 dollars.

The fun is all between 2 bidders, with 11 bids. But be aware. There's probably a snipper out there waiting for the last 2 seconds before they bid. Such bidders usually bid once and they bid big. They are commonly serious collectors. When I was working I would be in the game. But with a tear in my throat I must swallow and restrain. Just too dear for me.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:55 pm

OK, while we wait for the auction on this Lizzie book to be over.... a little history about the actual book.

The title of the book is one written by a well known state of Maine author, Sarah Orne Jewett. Jewett was a 19th century writer. Must admit my ignorance of her work. All I know was that she had a terrible carriage accident, later had a stoke, and died.

The book "A Native of Winby and other Tales", has two strong collecting points. One of course is that it was owed and signed by Lizzie. The second is it's binding, which makes the book very collectable to people such as myself who collect decorative bindings. The book cover was designed by Sarah Wyman Whitman. Whitman was famous for her work with stained-glass and book design. She designed many of Sarah Orne Jewett's titles. The two women were friends. Whitman was also friends with Celia Tahxter. Tahxter was a poet who lived on the Isle of Shoals off the Maine and New Hampshire coast. All three women were very interesting characters, strong woman, artistic, and appealing. I find Sarah Jewitt very alluring, in a 19th century style. Her photo is below.

Here is a site about Sarah Wyman Whitman. As with Margaret Armstrong, she was a prolific book designer.

http://bwht.org/sarah-wyman-whitman/

Thus one can appreciate the value behind this book by Jewett. Borden, Jewitt, and Whitman. Great collectable and one which could support and stand as a corner stone to any serious Borden collection.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:12 am

'
OK, here's some interesting information about Ms. Jewett.

http://hikethroughhistory.org/index.php ... and-street

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:28 am

Finally, book covers by Sarah Wyman Whitman... (click to make BIG)

The 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 8th, 23rd, and 24th book covers are Sarah Orne Jewett titles.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:55 am

OK, one last post. (Yeah, right :roll: )

This is a stained glass window at Harvard Memorial Hall in Cambridge, Ma.

It is an example of Sarah Wyman Whitman's work. The gal who design the cover of the Lizzie item on eBay and in the post above. Whoa :!: :shock:

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:45 am

:!: Over :!:

Move aside Mr. Porter and Mr. Rebello. There's a new expensive and big ticket book in town.

The Jewett / Lizzie book sold of 1425.00 dollars.

Now, was that not fun :?: Or at the very least, interesting.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:42 pm

To conclude.

The book has gone to a good home. Knowing the buyer I can safely assert that the signed Lizzie book will be well cared for and will reside in the best hands that exist to own her.

Congratulation Gentlemen. You deserved it.