Buyer beware - INDEED!

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

Buyer beware - INDEED!

Post by Harry »

This item on Ebay is an autograph of "George M. Robeson" who the seller claims was Lizzie's lawyer, Secretary of the Navy and Governor of Mass.

Claims he's/she's been in the autograph business 30 years and guarantees his items.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 98606&rd=1

Well, they are REAL wrong on this one.

We all know it was George D. Robinson. He was Governor but not Secretary of the Navy. That was William H. Moody, the D.A. from Essex county who assisted Knowlton..

Believe this item has been on EBay before.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Edisto

Post by Edisto »

Harry, did you let the seller know the item is bogus? I'm amazed at the number of fairly sophisticated people who will accept any provenance at face value, without doing their own research. Possibly this seller (who has pretty good eBay feedback) is unaware of the error. I can't believe anyone would want to sit there with egg on his face! After all, someone attracted to this item would probably be interested in the Borden case (or in obscure Secretaries of the Navy) and would know Lizzie didn't have an attorney named Robeson.
"To lose one parent...may be regarded as misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."
-Oscar Wilde ("The Importance
of Being Earnest," 1895)