Mystery Solved!

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Edisto

Mystery Solved!

Post by Edisto »

Someone on eBay is selling an issue of Leslie's Weekly that partially pertains to the Borden case. (Sorry, I can't provide a link, because my computer is cutting up and won't do a cut-and-paste.) I believe I have the same issue in my library. A part of the text is shown in the listing. It describes the Borden house in great detail, even spelling out how many feet away the neighboring houses are. Then it discusses the entrances and exits. Although the house is described as being on Second Street, the "main door" is said to open onto Ferry Street. No wonder the murderer was able to escape so easily, taking the bloody hatchet with him. All he had to do was open the front door, step out, and he'd find himself in a completely different neighborhood!
"To lose one parent...may be regarded as misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."
-Oscar Wilde ("The Importance
of Being Earnest," 1895)
diana

Post by diana »

The'Twilight Zone' theory. Perfect!
Kat

Post by Kat »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Next we need a secret underground passageway and an old clock!

Thanks for the chuckle guys!
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Picture a man engaged upon a journey in a dimension beyond the realm of sight and sound, of a fine early August day, in the second year of the last decade of the century. He has just witnessed one of the cruelest murders in the history of the Massachusetts Commonwealth, and now must escape, lest the killer discover him. He knows the killer by sight and could easily identify, and yet knows that prudence dictates otherwise – for he has witnessed also a marked and brutish proficiency with either axe or hatchet. (Of this he cannot quite be sure.)

He knows only for certain that Andrew Jackson Borden, 70 years of age, now lies slowly chilling in the sitting-room despite the heat of day. Old Borden’s chill is that of death, given only moments before by a seen and yet unseen dealer in murther.

The sight of the still-fresh and flowing wounds brings our man up short as the real horror of his own predicament returns. He notices before him two doors of ordinary and common type. The one opens out to Second Street, quietly bustling upon a Summer’s day – to Life, Freedom - whilst the second door gives entry to…

The Twilight Zone! :wink:
Harry

Post by Harry »

Nice writing Doug65oh. One of my favorite alltime TV shows.

I always remember the one titled "Willoughby" where a harried executive on his train ride home tries to step back into the idyllic world of the turn of the century at the peaceful little town of Willoughby.

That's the sign post up ahead .... you're about to enter the Twilight Zone.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Thanks, Harry :wink: It was one of mine too. I’m actually surprised the Serling bunch never tried to do anything relating to the Borden case – or I should say they never took it on that I’m aware of.

One of my favorite episodes was initially set (and I think broadcast) not long before I was born. The title escapes me, as I’ve not seen the episode for nearly thirty years – but the show started out at least in Washington, DC, April 14, 1965. Some manner of scientist (ably portrayed by Russell Johnson) finds a way to take himself back in time exactly 100 years, aiming to prevent the murder of President Lincoln.

The plot reeks of cheese today, but the “time swap” effect was excellently done. (Thank God for black-and-white film!) :lol:
beckygoddess

Post by beckygoddess »

My favorite TZ ep was the one with Burgess Meredith as a bank clerk with a nagging wife. His only solace was in reading books, which he did in the bank vault at lunch time. One day there is a nuclear attack, redering the entire area a vast wasteland with no survivors, except this mousey little bank clerk saved by the vault. He gets out and walks around finding the city library - in ruins - but books everywhere! He is estatic! Now he has all the time in the world to read books without any interuption! As he relishes in gathering up some books he stumbles and his glasses, essential to his having any vision at all, falls off his face and breaks, shattering into pieces.

That image has stayed with me for over 30 years!
"We wanted her so and her life was just thrown away." - LAB letter to Amanda dated 8/8/1908
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thanks for sharing about the Leslie's Weekly article, Edisto. What a glaring error.

It is surprising, Doug65, that they didn't do an episode of the "Zone" on Lizzie. Even Alfred Hitchcock saw the merit in an episode.

I remember - and really like - the Russell Johnson episode where he goes back in time to try to stop Lincoln's assassination. (Does he have cancer? Someone told me some guy who was on "Gilligan's Island" has cancer and they said it wasn't Bob Denver.)

"Willoughby" (sp?) was just on a few weeks ago about midnight on the Sci-Fi channel. I remember you liked that episode, Harry, and I watched the whole thing. It is good.

It's a lot like the episode with - was it Gig Young? Or Richard Long? (They look a lot alike to me.) And he went back to his boyhood town and went to his parents' house and saw his parents as they were years ago, and stopped at the malt shop. Didn't he save himself as a kid from being hurt on the merry-go-round?

My favorite is the one with Lois Nettleton, where the sun is getting closer to the earth daily, and she was only dreaming it while she had a fever, and really the earth was moving farther away from the sun daily. What a frightening thought. Oh, and the Custer one. That was spooky.

Rod Serling was a parachute jumper in WWII, I believe. He was real short in person. If you think about it, he did quite a few shows that took place during the war.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Russell Johnson has cancer? I hadn't heard anything like that augusta, but it's entirely possible. Funny thing is, you could almost classify "Gilligan's Island" as a direct ancestor of "Survivor"! It's hard to believe that silly little show has survived somewhere or other all these years...
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Ring-A-Ding Girl is my favorite Twilight Zone episode. It has such a bitter-sweet ending!

Unfortunately, the actress in the lead, Maggie McNamara, took her own life in the late seventies. :sad:

-1bigsteve (o:
augusta

Post by augusta »

I didn't know "Bunny" (from that Ring a Ding Girl episode) committed suicide. That's too bad.

Sounds like it was Bob Denver that had the cancer after all. Some tv show tonite (I won't name it) did a comedy sketch having to do with him dying. Nasty!

Someone in the tv industry said that "Gilligan's Island" was one of the best all-time shows in the respect that you could go on forever with the basic storyline.

Didn't Sherwood Schwartz and Phil Silvers come up with the idea? I caught a very old Red Skelton show tonite, and it listed Sherwood Schwartz as being on the Skelton staff (I'm guessing as a writer, but I'm not sure).
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I'm not sure about Phil Silvers being involved in Gilligan's Island but I'll check next time I read my Gilligan's book.

The first episode was shot in 1963 not 1964. In fact the pilot episode was being filmed when the news of Kennedy's death came over the radio they had on the set. The "higher-ups" didn't like it so Sherwood regrouped in 1964 with three new actors (Johnson, Louise, and Wells) and filmed the episodes in earnest. Same thing happened with That Girl. The first episode was shot in 1965 but Marlo waited a year before shooting the episodes that were actually shown. I love both of these shows!

It's too bad some people have the gall to poke fun of someone dying. That is something I will never understand. I alway's liked Bob Denver and everyone else in the show. Russell Johnson must be pushing 80. Tina Louise must be about 70 and Dawn Wells is 67. Where did the time go?

It was a shame they pulled the plug on the show the way they did. The Studio big wigs and the critics never understood it. It wasn't Shakespear so I guess it wasn't "vedy vedy up posh." It was a fun show that wasn't trying to be serious. Fortunately the public "got it." :lol: Have you ever noticed how new the film quality look's? It was filmed 40 years ago and look's like it was shot yesterday. Most shows from that era look like silent movies. Perhaps Sherwood took advice from Walt Disney and used the best film stock he could buy.

Red Skelton was a guy I really loved. I watched his show every week. He never used foul language. He never had too. He was so funny!

They don't make shows like these any more. Will they ever? :sad:

-1bigsteve (o: