Pearson's Smuttynose

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

augusta

Pearson's Smuttynose

Post by augusta »

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of Edmund Pearson's book on Smuttynose? I think it's something I'd like to read.
Mark A.

Post by Mark A. »

www.abebooks.com
Murder at Smutty Nose and Other Murders
Pearson: Edmund`
Bookseller: Lathkill Books
(Bakewell, DE, United Kingdom) [Shipping Rates & Speeds] Price: US$ 7.50
[Convert Currency]
Book Description: Heinemann. 1927 1st edition hardback - 330pp - illus - front cover is rubbed at bottom; spine browned and split at top fron hinge. Internally v.good - a reading copy. Bookseller Inventory #BC853

[Search this Seller's Books] [Browse this Seller's Books] [Ask Bookseller a Question]

Type in Edmund Pearson in the author search thingy and this listing should pop up on page 2 of the search results. Book #57.
Mark A.
Kat

Post by Kat »

It's a good book and a great crime!
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thanks, Mark! Figures - Abe Books. I think Diana at first told me of them. I purchased "House of a Thousand Candles" from Abe Books for like $1.50 earlier. That's one of the books William Schley-Ulrich said Lizzie had in her library in a wonderful LBQ article he wrote. ("Ex Libris, Lizzie Borden", was it called?)

Glad to hear it's a good book, Kat. Oh, that crime is really something. I've only read little things on it. I can't wait to read Pearson's.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Have you gone to the site which has Celia Thaxter's account? Pearson takes a bit from her I think. He did a better job at getting the *facts* in this case than he did with the Bordens, I think.
http://seacoastnh.com/Places_%26_Events ... e_Murders/

Also, I see now they are showcasing Celia's painting.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Yes, I did see Celia Thaxter's writing on Smuttynose. I printed it all out and took it upstairs to read in comfort. The pages got all mixed up - for some reason the pages are not numbered. I got mad and threw it all away. :oops:
Doug

Post by Doug »

Edward Rowe Snow included an account of the Smuttynose murders in his book Strange Tales from Nova Scotia To Cape Hatteras. It is part of chapter 6 of this book, under the heading "Tragedy at Smuttynose" on pages 101-117.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Ooo thanks Doug! I can't get enough of Smutty Nose!