Lizzie computer Desktops/Wallpaper for sale, Free download

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Stefani

Lizzie computer Desktops/Wallpaper for sale, Free download

Post by Stefani »

I designed a set of 16 Lizzie Borden high resolution computer desktop images that you can use on your PCs and Macs. There are 15 on the disk for sale through Borden Books & Gifts, and one is offered as a free download.

I made them in 15 different screen resolutions. All you have to do is find out your computer's resolution and select that image (on a mac, go to system preferences> Displays) (on a PC, right-click a blank area on your desktop and select Properties from the resulting menu. Click the Settings tab on the resulting screen. Look at the Screen resolution area and write down the current setting).

Screen resolutions include:
2560x1600
2048x1280
1920x1200
1680x1050
1600x1200
1600x1024
1440x900
1280x1024
1280x854
1152x870
1152x768
1024x768
832x624
800x600
640x480

Here are the disk contents:
http://www.lizzieandrewborden.com/Borde ... sktops.htm

Here is the free download:
http://lizzieandrewborden.com/Diversion/Desktops.htm

I hope you like! :peanut8:
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

Stef you are giving us mortals a lot of credit for
maybe being computer geeks? Your email made no
sense to me, resolutions? Is it NY eve already?
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

I've got to agree with Nancie. People who create and distribute materials online simply have to learn that most people here in the real world don't know a whole lot about how computers work and are not upgrading their hardware and software every six months.

Since most newer systems can still run old stuff, but most older systems cannot run newer stuff, material that is intended to reach the greatest audience should be delivered in forms that most of that audience can access it simply and easily.
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Hmmmm...Sounds like something got lost in translation here. What these are, in essence, are pictures suitable for use as wallpaper. ("Desktop" is just another word - Mac-ese - for Wallpaper.)

If you know how to change your wallpaper settings (for us PC folk) you can use these with no trouble.

Your choices go according to resolution settings. (My resolution for example is set to 800x600, so I'd pick the one nearest the bottom.)

Older machines (whose graphics capabilities/settings might be limited) would most likely take the 640x480 version.

That help any?
diana

Post by diana »

Is there a picture of Lizzie in the shadows there somewhere? I just get a large black space with 'Pear Tree Press - all rights reserved' etc. in the top left corner.

What operating system are you running, Doug?
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

I have Windows XP, but like I say, the graphics settings are mainly what count...

The Lizzie image is immediately below what you do see in a greyish color- I just checked it to be sure. :wink:
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Desktops and Wallpaper are the images that you can put on your computer screen that go behind the icons. It is called wallpaper for PCs because it decorates the "wall" of your screen. The icons sit in front of that. They are for decoration.

Everyone's computer monitor has a "screen resolution", meaning the size in pixels of your monitor screen. Older computers are smaller. You can check your PC monitor's resolution (to know which one to use) by right clicking with your mouse pointer positioned on a blank spot on your desktop. Select Properties from the pop-up menu. Left click on the Settings tab. You should now be able to see the Desktop area slider bar. The current resolution numbers will appear under the slider.

That is the "resolution" you copy.

When you click a number set, say 600x800, you will be taken to a new browser window with that size image displayed. Right click on the image itself and copy it to the desktop.

To install it, simply follow the directions on the download page linked above.

It is really simple. If you don't know what any of this means or you have never done this before, that must mean you have been sitting there staring at the same image on your computer since the day you bought it. You don't have to! There are sites out there that also give away desktop images.

My favorite is macdesktops.com.
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
diana

Post by diana »

Poor Stefani! She tries to do something nice for all of us and we just carp away here. Not good.

I'm not a computer whiz by any stretch, but I know how to find my screen resolution and I often change my desktop wallpaper by capturing on-line images -- so I'm obviously doing something wrong in this particular instance.

When I click on 600x800 -- which is my resolution setting -- a large black square opens up with the only thing visible being the Pear Tree rights thing in the top corner.

Is there anyone else out there who is still running Windows 98 and can see Lizzie in the shadows?
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Have you then copied the image to your desktop and put it in your file for screen wallpaper? My guess is that you are seeing a portion of the image only because your browser is set to less than your screen size, which they all are.

Try copying the image, no matter what you see, by right clicking and then open it up and see if it works. If not, then I have some 'spainin to do!
diana

Post by diana »

I've copied the image to my desktop and right clicked on that and set it as background and it appears in the list of backgrounds in my 'display menu' -- I've used both my browsers -- I.E. and Firefox -- and still the best I can get is a very, very, very faint image of Lizzie on the left hand side of my screen. If I didn't know what I was looking for, I wouldn't see it at all.

Sometimes I wonder if I am the last Windows 98 user in cyberspace ...
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

I have Windows XP. I use 800X600..

It looks great.

I clicked on the image marked for my resolution and when it opened I right clicked and choose the option "set as background" and it works fine.

It looks nice and well worth the price!

Thank you Stef!
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Right click on a blank space on your screen and choose properties.

Click the "settings tab" and you will see what your resolution is:

Then go the the download page and choose the correct one:

Click it and it will open. Then right click it and choose "set as background"

VOILA! Lizzie on your desktop/wallpaper/monitor!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Just for the record, I know about wallpaper, screen resolutions and such.

There are many people who do not, though.

I was making a general comment about people in the computer world wanting to be so cutting edge that they leave behind folks who do not have the very latest technology.

The second Adobe come out with a new version of Adobe Reader, for example, online publishers should realize that although it might add cool new features, not everyone can or will download the new software.

Many people are using computers more than five years old. Many people have dial-up internet service. Many people do not have unlimited RAM to run programs simultaneously or large storage capabilities.

I personally was quite frustrated with having to try to download yet another version of Reader to view Hatchet, and the huge amount of download time the magazine itself took. And I couldn't do another thing on my computer the whole time.

I'm just sayin', I understand Nancie's frustration.
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

First let me address the desktop picture issue. It seems, after consulting with my PC guy (Harry) who advises me as to what the rest of the world sees that I don't (I use a mac), I came to realize there was some problem with that particular image. It would not render properly on the PC. I have redesigned that particular free download and Harry said it works fine.

http://lizzieandrewborden.com/Diversion/Desktops.htm

By the way, he tested all the ones on the disk and they are all fine. It had to do with the gray on black deal I had in the design. Some monitors, well most monitors, could not see the gray Lizzie. She was quite invisible! Strange huh?

So go the download area and see if this suits your needs better. My apologies to all for any problems and frustrations this might have caused you. It is only through testing that I can solve the issues! So thanks for all your comments here.
Read Mondo Lizzie!

Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Fairhaven Guy and Nancie, I really appreciate your comments! I will never know that people have issues or suggestions about the journal or accessing the journal unless someone tells me. So you are both doing exactly the right thing by letting me know. I don't care if it is in this public way or with a private email because if you have problems, chances are that other are having them to and addressing them on the forum seems a really good idea to me---that way others can benefit from your concerns and complaints.

That said, I have to say that I am beginning to realize that the latest Reader is not working for everyone. One reader could not install it for the reasons you state---their operating system would not work with it and the download was taking forever.

I can easily do this (let me know if you like the idea or have a better one, ok?)---I can produce a higher version Reader issue (6.0 and up) and an older version issue (4.0 and up). It would add an extra 10 minutes to my work load so there isn't any problem with me doing this if it will help you. I can also try to strip out some size to the file, but this will cause the quality of the images to degrade.

Is you main issue the Reader or the size of the download? If equally both, have you tried reading it online in the slideshow? or is that not satisfactory either? Please let me know!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

I would say keep the higher image quality if many people are printing high quality hard copies or enlarging it to 200% or something. I'll live with the download time until I get a high speed hook-up. (I'm soooo like Andrew. . . )

My main issue is Reader. At home I think I have both 5 and 6. The new Hatchet used 7, is that right? Whatever. . . when I went to download it, it said something like, "Approximate Download Time: 4 months, 3 days, 16 hours. . ." :smile: (No, not really, but close.)
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Also, to those who have downloading problems with the file itself, or with the reader, I can send you a disk with both on it if you wish. Or even just the PDF of the magazine itself. That is if the downloading of the current PDF is taking too long as well. I realize this is a different issue, but your mentioning of this made me think of it as a possible problem for some.
Read Mondo Lizzie!

diana

Post by diana »

Thanks for solving the desktop picture issue for us, Stef and Harry! Lizzie comes through beautifully on my monitor now. And, as Audrey points out, the price is right!
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

I am Windows 98 also Diana, dial-up AOL. I can
read the Hatchet on-line but can't download it, Stefani was nice to send me the disc so I have it.
I really admire you people so good with computers,
I try but just know enough to get by with what I have to work with. Sure have had a lot of help here
from Harry, Kat,Aud etc when I wanted to do something "complicated" but I guess I won't be getting the desktops