Lizzie's Grinding Stone? What say you?

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Stefani

Lizzie's Grinding Stone? What say you?

Post by Stefani »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5594198523

Sounds intriguing. "This is the orginial grinding stone that came from the barn of Lizzie Borden, who used a hatchet to kill her father and step mother on August 4, 1892, in Fall River, Massachusetts. She killed ner step mother first then her father 90 minutes later. It is said that she did house work during that time. It has been in my family for a very long time. My great grandfather had it and I am not sure how he aquired it. My great aunt had it at her house and has recently passed away, she left a description of it in her will. So that we would know where it came from and not just a stone."

Looks like an old piece of bread. But I would like to see the will, wouldn't you?

Nona

Post by Nona »

I asked the seller this question:

Aloha. Question do I get an authorized notorized/ lawer sighned copy of this will in order to authenticate this item? Without that to prove the Lizzie item seems a little hard to swallow. I doubt you will get any bids on item unless you include some proof it is indeed at least in the will a Lizzie item.

I'll let you know if this person awnsers me. I'll keep you posted.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Were the Bordens making their own flour in the barn? As far as I've seen, a grinding stone is used to grind grain into flour. If it was a grinding wheel, that might be a different story. Or, does the seller mean a whetstone, which is a tool for whetting, or sharpening tool edges on?

Heres a link for a site about the history of whetstones in the 1800s, most were made of novaculite.

http://www.danswhetstone.com/novaculite_101.htm

I think the seller should get a copy of that will. :roll:
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Nona

Post by Nona »

Let's put it this way.the ebayer has yet to awnser me......lol. Still for bid with 0 bids lol. people can't mess with lizzie schoalars!! Haha!
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

just wondering something.....

if i were to try and auction off that old hatchet i bought last year at a yard sale (presently kept in living room corner, not in plain view) -- as the murder weapon of 1892 (i'll make up a good story to go with it) -- are y'all going to keep quiet about it? -- or no?
Nona

Post by Nona »

you mean as an expieriment or just to be mean? I would BE QUITE IF!! You promised once someone won the item you nicely explained to them the truth! An warned them about fradulent claims.

As an ebay byer.and a person I HATE getting jipped, taken a ride, and taken for. Iam all for the little guy on this one.

Although If you wanted to sell the item be truthful and say this is not THE ITEM however you thought it was a cool like did anyone want it for thier Lizzie collection. I have a "Lizzie collection) includes some Flat Irons and hankerchiefs and a set of skeleton keys) Im sure someone would buy that them.

Heck just last week someone sold a GUM WRAPPER on ebay..a regular old gum wrapper----for like 200 hundred bucks!! There were actally alot of bids!! Can you believe that.? Man. I wish I'd thought of that.

I guess my point is......if your truthfukl your selling a gum wrapper then thats okay if you said it was a gum wrapper touched by Gandi or something then that is sooooooooo wrong cuz someone gets JiPPED! I don't like that.

Anyone else agree?
disagree?
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's an interesting viewpoint Nona and creative writing! :smile:

I think Eugene was joking- I wonder if he knows how to get to E-bay?

(Did Ghandi chew gum?- that's a good one!)
Nona

Post by Nona »

Lol! I did go a little out there huh? Thank you! yeah, im sure he ment no harm. As far as I can tell, I've only met the best people on this forum. Im all good:)
Im sure Gandi din't chew gum he wouldn't even eat food very much he was into fasting all the time.

I guess I said Ghandi, cuz Iam currently on a only water fast........day 6 no food only water. So Iam thinking of all the great success stories to keep me going.Ghandi seemes like a great choice for me.such a peaceful guy. :)
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

:lol:
Edisto

Post by Edisto »

The photograph of this item is so murky that the seller could claim it was Lizzie's desiccated gall bladder, if she wanted to. (Hey! There's a great idea for something to sell on eBay. Drat! eBay doesn't allow body parts. Well, who's to know?)

My late Grandfather, who was a carpenter by trade, had a grinding wheel next to his toolhouse. He used it to sharpen his handtools. It certainly looked nothing like this item, as far as I can tell.

No, I'm afraid this seller's provenance won't "hack" it with me!
"To lose one parent...may be regarded as misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."
-Oscar Wilde ("The Importance
of Being Earnest," 1895)
Harry

Post by Harry »

Haulover @ Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:46 pm wrote:just wondering something.....

if i were to try and auction off that old hatchet i bought last year at a yard sale (presently kept in living room corner, not in plain view) -- as the murder weapon of 1892 (i'll make up a good story to go with it) -- are y'all going to keep quiet about it? -- or no?
LOL.

Well, I actually have Lizzie's hatchet...the real one. There's no doubt about it. It has "L. A. Borden" written in pencil right on the handle.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

You got one too, Harry? Does it have blood stains on it like the one I have? :grin:
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

I hope it is was a relatively new hatchet, with just a bit of gilt missing from the blade...;-)
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

No, it's old and has some rust... Oh, um, yes, yes it is new and does have a little gilt missing, um how did you know? Oh, yes, and it has Lizzie's signature on the handle in felt tip pen! And blood too! No, no really. It does!

Now let's see how much would it bring on ebay, maybe as much as that chesse sandwich I sold with that picture of Mary on it? Hmmm... let me sharpen my pencil... :wink: :lol:

-1bigsteve (o:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Remember that mantle clock with the blood drops on it, supposedly from the Bordens?
Whatever happened to that? Does anyone have the pictures from e-bay saved?
william

Post by william »

The item depicted is obviously an Arkansas whetstone. It is employed to hand sharpen knives and other cutting tools. There is one being offered on eBay at the present time.

Now that we know what it is, all we have to deterimne is: Did it really, really come from the Borden barn?
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Good question, William. With all the phony stuff being sold at auction (ebay), I wouldn't offer a cent for it as an original Borden item unless it had been in official hands since 1892 with documentation.

I may buy it as a whetstone but not as a "Borden whetstone." I would want to see solid proof.

-1bigsteve (o: