Ebay Knowlton papers.......

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Nona

Ebay Knowlton papers.......

Post by Nona »

Just saw it on ebay its still only a starting bid of 9.99 lasts only 2 days though thats wierd........

I want it so bad but I already bid on pearsons book at 40 bucks that's my Lizzie budget for the month:( so I pass this on to anyone else that may not have it yet.

Eventually I know I will own my own copy.somewhere, somehow!:)

Good luck! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :B:SS:US:1 or just push in Lizzie Borden in your search it will pop up Im sure. I get an new alert in my mail box when any new Lizzie items come up.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thanks for the tip, Nona. I'll bet that price goes up by the time it ends. I wouldn't risk selling a copy of The Knowlton Papers for $9.99. In fact, I don't think I would sell a copy at all. That book is just going to go up in value. Hoffman's "Yesterday in Old Fall River" first sold for $17. I think it's in its second printing now and is going for like $26. Rebello's will go way up after they are gone. Strangely, Edmund Pearson's "Studies in Murder" - a first edition in great shape but no dust jacket - only rakes in about $10. I wonder how much more it would be if there were a dust jacket.

Another source for rare books is King's Rare & Used Book Store in Detroit. They have an e-mail address, and you can ask them if they have a certain book in stock and they will tell you. They'll mail books out. They also have a collection of old postcards. Their email address is: kingbooks@aol.com
Phone: 313-961-0622. They have over 750,000 books. They do appraisals and confidential consultations; they do worldwide searches and historical reprinting & more.

Their website address is: www.rarebooklink.com (I didn't know they had a web site! Oh boy!) Mailing address is: John K. King Books, 901 W. Lafayette Blvd., Detroit, MI 48226. Fax: 313-963-9138

They have a couple locations, but I go to the one above. It's housed in this over 100 year old building. There are four stories of books arranged like a library. You can take the stairs to another floor or ride on their really old elevator.

I am not affiliated with King's Books in any way.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I would have thought $100 would get this book. Maybe $101.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I WISH $100 would have gotten it. I was Christmas shopping and someone $102.50'd me right out of it !

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

I saw Tracy kissing Santa Claus....
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Dang...and we thought we were all alone in that sleigh !

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Nona

Post by Nona »

monique, im sorry you didn't get that.I really was rootong for you! Yup to rich for my blood right now.....

I keep telling myself there are more copies out there in some little poe dunk town no ones ever heard of and no one knows its there.no one knows the true value of that book and every day that copy somewhere is collecting dust passed by by people every day.......

Until!! I go on vacation or pass through this little poe-dunk town.and find it for only $5.99!!!

I will keep that dream......to help pacify myself for now.but I know .one day.I'll find it.and so will you monique!:)
Kat

Post by Kat »

I think Tracy got hers, and maybe wants another for a gift for someone? :?:
You're sweet tho.
Hope you get one sometime. There was one out there for like twenty bucks in like some little town called new york city! :smile: Yup!
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

A copy of The Knowlton Papers sold on ebay yesterday for $406.00

The book was new and still in the shrinkwrap but I never expected the bidding to get that high.

With prices like that it makes me wonder why the FRHS does not reprint it, they surely would have no trouble selling new copies of it.

Too bad there is not a way to keep people from buying up most the copies and hoarding them, then reselling them for much more.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Yes Fargo: I had posted about it just before you on the thread just before this one, "LIZZIE BORDEN BOOKS."

I believe the book went to a new collector in Australia.

Next to Porter and Lunday, (Can not remember a Lunday ever coming up for sale) it must be one of the most expensive Lizzie books on the collectable market.

:farao:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yes, that 400 price was a doozie. I bid early on it, as it was not listed quite as I would have expected and thought maybe it would not be caught-but alas- Bordenites are tenacious and enterprising. When I think I almost passed it up when it first came out at 50 bux, thinking it would DROP in price!
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I thought of one way to stop the hoarding- reselling of books, but it might not be popular.

Lets say the FRHS ( or another party ) goes to sell a book thats valued at $50, but instead they ask $150. That way the hoarder's price would be too high so that they would have few sales.

At least this way the money would be going to the FRHS and not the hoarders.

I know that we would be paying a high price anyway, but at least the money would be going to the right place and the high price might deter the book hoarders.
augusta

Post by augusta »

I think that's a good idea, Fargo! But it would have to be up to each individual seller of the book, and several different places would probably carry one book. Would all agree to that? I think it would hurt their sales of the book, and they would be glad to sell as many as they can. Some places, tho, might agree to do it.

I think boycotting can be helpful in bringing prices down. If we just refuse to pay the ridiculously high prices, they'll have to bring the price down. Yes, there's the lone high-price purchaser, but if all of us boycott, it'll cut their customer base down.

Writers can make a difference, too. Articles of anti-hoarding and overpricing special interest books can ferret out the weasels that are doing this. The pen is still mighty. :wink:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Yes AUGUSTA: Thus the reason why I post such books here on the forum. :!:
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Sellers could try limiting sales of copies to 1 or 2 books per customer. That way if a buyer legitimatly wants one for themselves and say a second copy for a friend, it could still be done. In most cases most of us would not want to buy more than maybe 2 copies at one time.

If I had known how it was going to be, and if I had enough money I could have bought up several Rebello's when I was at the B and B as there were still stacks of them there at that time. Then, now I could sell them at cost to others who want a copy.