George W. (Robinson, that is)

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Edisto

George W. (Robinson, that is)

Post by Edisto »

Someone is selling on eBay a handsome certificate signed by George Robinson prior to his service as Lizzie's attorney. The seller has done a fine job of authenticating the item and has included a bio of Robinson. It states that Robinson's original name was George Washington Robinson, but that he changed his middle name to "Dexter" in 1855 to distinguish himself from another George Washington Robinson in the same community. I didn't find that in "Past & Present" nor in "Yesterday in Old Fall River." Wonder if it's accurate?

(Your name is Dexter?" "Right!")
"To lose one parent...may be regarded as misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."
-Oscar Wilde ("The Importance
of Being Earnest," 1895)
diana

Post by diana »

Well, I was going to say "no" because there's no mention of this in the Knowlton Glossary, or in the Biographical Directory of the U.S. Congress -- but then I read the seller's pretty compelling bio of Robinson and it gave me pause. He seems to know his stuff. Interesting....
Harry

Post by Harry »

I have that same biographical article in my files on Robinson but unfortunately didn't record the source.

The Cornell University library has a lengthy (and I do mean lengthy) 1885 bio on him at:

http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/ ... 35-0002-25

Click the page numbers. No mention of a change in name there that I could quickly find.

I did find this however. The Harvard class of 1856 which mentions the name change. Its about 2/3 the way down the page.

http://surnamesite.com/harvard/harvard1856.htm
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Kat

Post by Kat »

Harry would probably know, I think.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Fascinating article there on "the foremost citizen of Massachusetts" (ca. 1885, that is.)

On the second page of the article there, it's at least implied that the birth name was "George Dexter Robinson," and that said infant entered upon ye mortal coil at Lexington, 20 February 1834. From there it pretty much mentions everything you never thought you'd find out about His Excellency - all that is, save a change of name.

I wonder what the grave marker says? (FindAGrave.com is presently being 'maintained and upgraded" - or so goes the latest filthy rumor at least.) :wink:

[Just read Harry's post re: the '56 graduates list. Odd... I just did a search and found a total of 22 mentions of that name associated in some way with Massachusetts; just the grads list though identifies Robinson as "George Washington..."]
Harry

Post by Harry »

I believe that same 1885 article can be found here as part of the Gutenburg project. There is also a nice picture of him.

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/1/4/1/3/1 ... 4131-h.htm
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Kat

Post by Kat »

Kat @ Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:09 pm wrote:Harry would probably know, I think.
When I wrote this comment, there was no Harry post.
So "oops" and forget I said anything...
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Just a quick question. Does anyone know if Atty. Robinson was related to the Robinson cousins (George E., Edson M. and Percy V. of Swansea) who were named in Lizzie's will? (see Rebello).