Rebello Still Available

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

augusta

Rebello Still Available

Post by augusta »

I noticed two copies of Rebello's "Past & Present" book for sale in the FRHS gift shop. I didn't check the price. It's essential Borden material, and if you haven't gotten yours this would be a good chance. Once they're gone, you're gonna be paying thru the teeth for a copy.

I think I saw several "Sourcebooks" too. You can call, and they will do mailorders.
bsr88

Post by bsr88 »

We also have them available at the B+B (ask the person in the giftshop).

Ben
Le classe de français cinq a l'ecole Chariho rappèlent la voyage aux Québec. Le 24 avril - 29 2006
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Mr Rebello may have some copies in his own posession to sell. Buying direct is always a good as the price is better and he gets the entire profit. Win/Win!

Ad

Post by Ad »

Audrey wrote:Mr Rebello may have some copies in his own posession to sell. Buying direct is always a good as the price is better and he gets the entire profit. Win/Win!

Audrey,
Do you know if Len Rebello still has any books available? Or is there another place to go to find one? If so, what should one expect to pay now?
Kat

Post by Kat »

He has a few books left. He never tells me for sure, but I guess a number and he agrees.
So I think there are less than 100, maybe less than 50.
You send him a check directly. As him to autograph it!
:smile:
Allen

Re: Rebello Still Available

Post by Allen »

augusta @ Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:18 am wrote:I noticed two copies of Rebello's "Past & Present" book for sale in the FRHS gift shop. I didn't check the price. It's essential Borden material, and if you haven't gotten yours this would be a good chance. Once they're gone, you're gonna be paying thru the teeth for a copy.

I think I saw several "Sourcebooks" too. You can call, and they will do mailorders.
I bought my own copy of Rebello from the FRHS, I ordered it online from their site. I bought it about two months ago? I'm not sure exactly how longs it's been. But I paid $49.95 plus tax for it.

http://www.lizzieborden.org/bordenbooks.asp
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Kat

Post by Kat »

If you buy it from the author, he gets to keep all the money. :smile:
Ad

Post by Ad »

Thank You Kat
Thank You Allen

for the information.

I'm with Kat. I like the idea of the author getting all the money; besides Kat's right, I'd like an autograph as well.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Rebello is my most used Lizzie book. Anyone with a serious interest in the Borden case should grab this book. It's the best starting place for tracking specific issues.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Does anyone know if the Author still has copies available? Any help would be great.

Thanks!
Eric
Kat

Post by Kat »

Member "mbhenty" says that just recently they were talking to the author and inquired and was told that there were some copies left.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Thanks Kat! I'll give it a shot.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I just heard tonight that he has a few copies left.
Those of you awaiting shipment, it should be soon. :smile:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I have started, trying, to give the Davenport House a face lift to some degree. As I am not working, funds to purchase such things as clapboard and trim are limited and labor on the building has become a solo effort.

I have been forced to cash in on some of my book collection, and for several weeks have been posting books on EBAY through DYLANGIRL.

But enough of the sob story and the reason for this post.

Posted below is a copy of Len Rebello's Lizzie Borden Past and Present. It was my duplicate or reference copy; the one I kicked around. Still, in pretty good shape and seeing as there are none for sale anywhere, (or at least I could not find any) I thought that 65 dollars, 15 bucks over cover, would not be a bad price. Some have posted for well over 200 on ABE.

Not trying to sell it here---------just wanted to post and let everyone know in case someone was interested. Just a heads up.

I'm more sorry to see my George Alfred Henty books go than anything else. (Sorry Leonard ! Had the Henty's for 25 years)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lizzie-Borden-Past- ... dZViewItem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

So sorry to hear you are selling off books, MB.

Please be very careful what you sell off.

When I moved back here 4 years ago (foolishly moving from the big city without a job to come to) I ended up selling almost all of my beloved books as a way to get by between temp jobs. Mainly art, history, philosophy and psychology books. Very nice, hard-to-find volumes.

After finally getting steady work, I tried to find books I'd sold to buy them back again...but, have yet to find a single one.

It's one of the things I truly regret.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes TINA-KATE:

Thanks for the Tip.

I understand what you have been through with selling your books and trying to find them again. It is never the same, after all it takes years to acquire a collection. Not like you can just go out and replace them over night.

My main collection is Arctic/Polar Exploration. If the time comes that that is all that is left and I am still boke, I will just back up a dumpster to the driveway and take them to the dump before I sell them on EBAY.

In some cases my George A. Henty books are selling for one third what I paid for them years ago.

EBAY does not pay. You don't see the real good stuff on ebay.

Sure, some do filter down and good money is exchanged for some pretty scarce items, but on the whole, real good collectables end up on dealer shelfs, or are liquidated at auction.

One can always call a book dealer and sell to him/her for ready cash, but the book dealer will give you only a fraction of what your book is worth, if he is interested at all. After all, he can get it cheaper on Ebay.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But, something's got to go and it ain't my boat.

I am left without a choice. Repairing the shingles on the front of the DAVENPORT HOUSE I have discovered lots of rot and decay. Even the window trim is all rotted and must be replaced.

The FRONT PORCH is 2/3rds completed. I spent most of last summer putting it back together. I had a carpenter/restorer over to give me an estimate and he put it around 15 to 20 GRAND just for the porch. The porch POSTS alone, which were rotted with sections missing, was estimated at 7 to 9 HUNDRED a piece to restore. There are 5 of them; that's upwards of 4500 dollars just to restore the posts. ( They are very fancy and decorative)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what to sell, what to sell.

Already sold over 100 books from my collection, including my signed Robert B. Parker and Richard Nixon collection and Exploration.

Right now on ebay I have posted 2 signed Parkers along with a couple of Alfred Hentys. All in wonderful condition.

When collecting books one of the main criteria should always be condition. Like real estate, it is all about condition, condition, condition..... of course that is true of any collectable.

Weeding through my G. A. Henty collection I have come up with duplicates or Variants and have posted them on ebay. One example (First American, published 1901) I have posted in a photo below to show you how nice and dear these books are to me.

Also posted below is a photo of my Robinson Crusoe Collection, being, the story of Robinson Crusoe in variant editions, mostly from the 19 century. Though there are many leather copies, I collect Crusoe for it's cover art, along with my collection of Boys Books-----also for the cover art, so most are decorative cloth.

I prefer a decorative cloth book over a leather one; just my taste.

As you can probably tell by looking at the photos below, they are very hard to let go.

Some of my boys books have gone on the selling block but I will keep my Robinson Crusoes.

Thanks for taking interest TINA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Sorry if I'm getting too personal or sticking my nose in---

Have you ever thought of doing B&B? (Or would that take too much away from sailing time?)

#1 You have one of Lizzie's houses.

#2 Esp in summer months there are hordes of us Bordenites looking for places to stay in F/R.

#3 You are right next door to you-know-where

Just a suggestion. :oops:

Isn't it the pits---they always sell for FAR less than what you paid for them. *%#@!!!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Opening a B&B takes a lot of dedication. You need to be a people person.

Many B&Bs are opened by people who have no business involving themselves in such an intimate endeavor.

To make it a throughly satisfying experience for the lodger, more is needed then a smile, a meal and a bed. I'm afraid I am not built that way.

Now, someone like our Shelley would make a wonderful B&B innkeeper. Her personality, generosity, and temperament is tailor made for hosting.

Now a little cottage in Maine might work.

A least if something went wrong with one of the guests while I was cutting firewood or using the chain saw the bodies would be much easier to hide.

:roll:
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

mbhenty @ Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:15 am wrote:... A least if something went wrong with one of the guests while I was cutting firewood or using the chain saw the bodies would be much easier to hide.

MB's B&B---A Truly Authentic Borden-like Experience in Fall River---

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Sorry...couldn't resist...

:grin:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

I have been searching for that book for over a year. As of yet never saw one for real. I got so excited when I saw this link until I read the dates. So if anyone sees or know of a copy for sale, please, please let me know. thanks
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes NADZIEZA

Though this thread was started long ago the book is available on EBAY. There is only 2 days left before the bidding is over.

Right now it is up to 71 dollars. Chances are it may go for over one hundred, but who knows.

Right now it is the only copy available that I could find. But again, who knows, tomorrow you may see 2 or 3.

So YES, one Leonard Rebello, Lizzie Borden Past and Present is for sale today............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=008

Below is a photo of the actual book. It looks better in the picture then in person, but still in good condition.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

On the upside MB- your house and landscaping are looking like a million bucks! She is a Painted Lady to be proud of and I go check on your progress every weekend. One day, after you have finished it all and written an article about the experience, the Davenport house will be a star on Fall River Painted Ladies web blog!
My maiden name was Davenport. When you are ready to open your B&B- I am ready to come over in a vintage dress and make crumpets and tea for your guests and trot 'em all over Oak Grove. :peanut19:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

YES, Thanks for the kind words Shelley !

I will probably be working on the front of the building well into June before moving onto one of the other 3 sides. Though I am replacing most of the trim and shingles on the front of the house, the rest of the building will be scraped and painted only.

Thanks for the input Shelley. Unlike solo sailing, putting an old house back together by ones self is hard work, though not much fun there are spurts of satisfaction by One's accomplishments.

Next time you drive by look up to the peak of the house. I designed some fancy trim and nailed them into place a couple of days ago.

Once again, Thanks Shelley :grin:
augusta

Post by augusta »

Sorry to hear you're selling your books, mb. I give you a lot of credit for starting your Rebello out at $60. That does help some in keeping the price down. Unfortunately sellers are treating this like the Knowlton Papers and 'The Proceedings', and now Robert Flynn's repro of Porter. The best we can do to fight back is to refuse to buy books that are priced ridiculously high.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes AUGUSTA: The sad thing about such a book selling for so much is that it's real value in the information it can supply, and most buyers need it for such. Though it is a collectable, especially since only 2000 copies were issued (I believe?) it is a must have for those who collect Lizziana and those who study the case.

Thus, if Mr. Rebello issues a new paperback edition the old hardcover price will drop like a stone.

I thought that 60 dollars was a fair price and I was very much prepared to let it go at that. I had purchased that copy over 3 years ago on ebay for 50 bucks.

Yes, sad since most of the books I am selling have been in my collection for 25 years or so. Today I was looking through my Rex Stout collection. They may go next. I have about 30 first editions of the Nero Wolf Series.

:study:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I love Rex Stout, MB! I never knew this about you. I wonder if you also like the Father Brown detective stories? Well, when you are ready to replace books, there is an excellent store in Kingston across from URI on Rt 138 which has a very nice polar exploration section. My paycheck usually only lasts an hour as the store is a block from my office and I visit every week. I guess we could have worse sins.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Mb - I have hoped Rebello's book would go softcover. Who knows? Now that it's sold out, maybe it will.

Yes, his book is a must-have for Bordenites. It is the Bible of all books Lizzie. I am just in awe of all that he amassed in that book. I find myself in awe of him, as it is, to me, the best Lizzie book of all time and may always remain so. I know he's a very nice man, but I find myself shy when I've seen him. I really admire him.

You're right! If a softcover edition comes out, the price gaugers suffer. Seeing prices of oop Lizzie books being sold (out of print) for small fortunes angers me. We're being taken advantage of.

During the Christmas season of '06, my son wanted this "thing" for Playstation - where they give you these instruments and you play along with the video or something. Every place was sold out. I looked on Amazon. They were sold out, but they had some people selling them. The unit went for like $150 normally. People were selling them for up to $600 ! (What I did was I gave my son the money on Christmas, so he could buy it when stores re-stocked, which they did right after Christmas.)
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

No offence intended, but if Mbhenty opens a B and B and that is how the guests are going to be treated, I won't be staying there. :smile:

I would stand a better chance at the guestroom of the Lizzie house. :lol:

Many of these books and other items are not as rare as some of these sellers would have us believe. About 2 or 3 years ago the proceedings book was going for a high price and said to be rare, but at that time Bristol Colledge still had brand new copes for sale for $50.00

The Lizzie Borden plate ( which has a picture of Lizzie and the house on it )from the FRHS was on Ebay quite awhile back and was mentioned as being rare and sold out. However I found out that at least up until recently the plate was still in stock at the FRHS
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Antiquarian Book Dealers are a group unlike most general book stores.

Many are/were collectors themselves. Many view their stock as their personal collection and are in no hurry to sell. So if you want it........this is the cost. And, they are in no hurry or worry to sell it.

Many of these dealers are caught between the world of Dealer/Hobby/Collector. Thus items in their collection never come down in price. And since most study and shadow their compadres, they follow the price wagon right up the hill and set high fees.

Mr. Rebello has hinted on a softcover edition but with other projects in the cooker it is only a guess when one will be published.

Yew FARGO: If I ever opened a B&B it would be more like a B&L........that is; Bed and Lunch.

Even then guests would need to pound on my bedroom door to get me up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:farao:
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

MB, It sounds like you are doing an amazing amount of work on this house. I bet it is going to be just beautiful. Any chance it will be on the Christmas Victorian tour in Dec. ? These homes are just so wonderful, do you have the original floorplan from when it was built?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Nadzieja:

I am sorry to say that the Davenport house is no way, in the same league, or does it even come close to the opulence or splendor to the houses around it. The former Lizzie property is but a mere "Three Decker" with no fancy woodwork, doors, walls or hallways. It was built as a 3 family in the style of a common 3 decker or northeast tenement house. It would never be suitable as a B&B due to it's floor plan, which is structured in-line as is often done with 3 deckers with living quarters in line along one length of the building and sleeping chambers adjacent.

The only real asset to the Davenport House is it's Victorian Porch, probably installed by the Davenports. The only real prominence it holds today is that it is next door to Maplecorft and once in Lizzie's corral of properties.

As a matter of fact, I have always been surprise that Phebe Davenport moved here after her husband died, or why she left her proper residence down further on French Street.

But, I hope to give it that special, should I say, Painted Lady look, taking the decorative aspects of the front porch to the entire front facade of the building.

Below is just a peak into what has been going on. In this photo I have torn off some shingles to expose the clapboard underneath. The gray clapboard is the original siding nailed to the building in 1800s when it was built. Since, I have decided that the clapboard can not be saved and it to will be torn off, and indeed already has. Also, you can see that a new roof and facsia trim has been installed over the group of 4 windows to the left of the photo. Above it one can see the extensive flashing, made to rectify the leaks around it. Being a novice carpenter it is probably over-kill.
Grace

Post by Grace »

I am very interested in obtaining a copy of Rebello's book. If anyone hears of one that's become available, I would very much appreciate learning about it.
Wordweaver

Post by Wordweaver »

Grace @ Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:34 pm wrote:I am very interested in obtaining a copy of Rebello's book. If anyone hears of one that's become available, I would very much appreciate learning about it.
There is one on Amazon for $2,000.00. Really.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=all
There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is California. --Edward Abbey

http://unnaturalhistory.blogspot.com
Harry

Post by Harry »

Wow! And they have the nerve to want a $3.99 shipping charge. :sad:
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

I have been searching for that book for about 1 1/2 years. Someday hope to get one but without taking out a loan for it.!!! Maybe someday there will be a reprint.
william

Post by william »

Amazon has a copy for $343. I couldn't find anything cheaper with the booksellers.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

William, Thank you so much for checking. That was really nice of you. (the game's afoot) I will find one someday when I least expect it.!
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

I'm with you Lorraine, I need to get 1 for myself also. Those are just way out of my range. I am hoping also for a reprint.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
Grace

Post by Grace »

I had noticed those and disregarded the one at 2k as way way out of my book budget, and the other one (though still too expensive) wont even ship to a USA addy, so that puts me out of the running for that one.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I told Len today about the $2,000 one- he was stunned. The reprint is going to be awhile in coming. Keep looking though, once in a while one shows up in bookstores for a reasonable price. The bad thing for the buyers nowdays is that many booksellers, if not most, check out the prices on the internet , so the days of the red-hot bargains are getting fewer and fewer. I had my copy stolen right under my nose at the house, right off the diningroom table.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

There are 3, count them, three Rebello's LIZZIE BORDEN PAST AND PRESENT on ebay for sale at this time.

One has a starting bid of 49 dollars still another for 99 dollars and a pricey one for 250 dollars.

Some Einstein has bid on the 250 one. Go figure..... :roll:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... category0=
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

AH :!:

Looking at it again, I can see why this fellow bid on the most expensive Rebello :arrow:

It was the first one up for bid, before the other two, so he jumped on it right away and placed his bid.

This is just one more reason why I advise people to bid at the last minute. Not only does this prevent the item from being bid up to a higher level and in turn pay more than the item is worth, but you never know when others will suddenly appear for sale.

The last two sellers probably saw the one bid for the 250 dollar Rebello and thought it a good time to post theirs.

Imagine how he will feel if the one for 49 dollars does not sell? If so, he just threw 200 dollars away. Even the 99 dollar one would save him 150.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

To everyone who has expressed their desire, their yearning, even an urgent need to find a copy of LIZZIE BORDEN PAST AND PRESENT at a reasonable price.......................................,well time is up.

A copy for 49 dollars just timed out on ebay with no bids and no sale. This was your rare chance to pick up a Rebello for a less than reasonable price.

He may relist.

Keep an eye open. :cyclops:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0343995966

Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Was the time up on that one or did he just end the auction early? I thought the more expensive book ended before the less expensive one. That would have been good insurance for getting the hundred dollar book for a hundred dollars, the bidding might have been confined to the cheaper book.
To do is to be. ~Socrates
To be is to do. ~Kant
Do be do be do. ~Sinatra
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

I've been watching both of them (I've been trying to get that book for almost 2 years). He or she ended it early, it was suppose to end tomorrow.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Well Yes, the Leonard Rebello title Lizzie Borden Past and Present, which supposedly ended with one bid for 250 dollars, did not sell. Perhaps the bidder bowed out after seeing one not sell for 49 dollar and still another with a starting bid of 99 dollars. It is now back on ebay for a starting bid of 250 dollars or a buy it now for 300...........again.

The copy which was selling for 99 dollars finally sold for 158 dollars with 10 bids between 4 different bidders.

Both links are listed below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lizzie-Borden-past- ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0305467100
Grace

Post by Grace »

Wow! Bargain prices! I wonder why they ended the lowest priced one. Perhaps the seller figured he'd wait and sell it at later date.