Goodbye to the collection ...

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

enigma0456

Goodbye to the collection ...

Post by enigma0456 »

I am a former Borden affictionato (retired a few years after the centennial). I grew up and lived for thirty plus years in the Fall River-New Bedford area. I have a collection of all of the standard books (including the reprints like Girl In The House Of Hate), a large reprint of the 3/4 portrait (purchased from the Historical Society), a set of microfilms of the trial (obtained from the state of Massachusetts) as well as copies of a number of other transcripts of the inquest, etc. that were obtained in Fall River duriing the flurry of activity leading up to the 1992 centennial.

I would like to dispose of the collection since I no longer have the time to study the subject. I'm sure I could sell the books on Amazon or B&N, perhaps the rest on e-bay, etc. but it seems a waste to dismantle a collection that I painstakingly assembled. I would like to see it go in its entirety to someone that has a genuine interest in the subject. Obviously, I would expect some money because who wouldn't take it for free but my goal is to see it all go to one person that can demonstrate a real interest in the subject - not make money. If you have such an interest (and this seems a likely spot to find such a person), write to me. I'll be happy to give you a complete inventory of what I have and then you are free to make an offer as well as provide some information on what you have done/will do regarding research on the subject. enigma0456@hotmail.com

Did you ever wonder why she didn't become sick sitting in a hot stuffy attic eating several pears?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Hi!
Would we recognize your name?
enigma0456

Post by enigma0456 »

There are those in the Fall River/New Bedford area that might but that is of no consequence. I was "up in the Flint" when anything important happened. LOL I simply want to find a good home for this material and I prefer not to involve myself personally. I've had several responses already - I may have to ask the moderator to organize an essay contest or something if there are too many responses. *grin
Edisto

Post by Edisto »

There's a risk in selling a collection of Borden items and remaining anonymous at the same time. You won't generate the interest you would if your identity were known. That's because (unfortunately) there's at least one person peddling Borden research materials and collectibles who is less than honest. Some of us have had dealings with that person and won't do so again. The person changes identities at will and claims to be a resident of various parts of the country. That person is known to have some of the same items you're interested in selling. Personally, I wouldn't initiate a dialogue with anyone selling Borden items who couldn't prove his/her identity. Sad but true!
"To lose one parent...may be regarded as misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."
-Oscar Wilde ("The Importance
of Being Earnest," 1895)
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

Well, I would. I am interested in what he/she has to sell. I doubt very much it is Faye, she wouldn't
sell her stuff for less than many thousands plus she
has wider contacts and resources than this forum if
she wanted to sell. I think most of us on here already have the basic books and transcripts. What
I want are: more original newspapers, and to complete my LBQ set. I'm going to email Enigma!
Kat

Post by Kat »

I sometimes ask Stefani who a new member might be and so I have done in this case.
She does not know, and is not responsible for anything to do with this sale.
This is merely a place for this member to advertise.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

All I advise is prudence. I would not buy anything from someone who would not give me their verifiable contact information, etc when it came time to close the sale or for me to provide payment, address, etc.

Simple rule of thumb... It your instincts tell you something is amiss, something more than likely is!
Angel

Post by Angel »

I agree with you, Audrey.
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Enigma, why don't you stick around a while and discuss the case with everyone? We are always glad to have new members to chew things over with!
Edisto

Post by Edisto »

Lessee..."Enigma" says he/she wants to sell an entire collection to the same person. It doesn't seem to include any newspapers or LBQs. I wrote a post TO Enigma and to nobody else, explaining that interest in the collection might be enhanced if he/she would be more forthcoming. The next post is an angry-sounding message that I don't know what I'm talking about and that the member posting is going to email Enigma and try to buy not the collection that's for sale but some items that Enigma doesn't even seem to have.

I always like to see people strive for perfection, and that member has seemingly achieved it. Yes, she's definitely a perfect a**hole!
"To lose one parent...may be regarded as misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."
of Being Earnest," 1895)
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

wow a 71 year old person (not a lady) is calling me
an asshole, ouch.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

One would think that after 71 years she has a lof of experience in human nature.........
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

Edisto, I've been around here quite a while, don"t
F with me,and Audrey nice try kissing ass, you are such a phoney but noone realizes that.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Hey, we don't even need Faye around here, the way you women are acting.

Let's be civil, huh?
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

What I do know is that Audrey is NOT a phoney. Also, I know that I sent "Enigma" 2 emails requesting info on the collection and on how to make contact with he-she. I have had NO RESPONSE from him-her. Sounds like Edisto and Auds are right on track...as usual. This 'offer' is beginning to smack of the hot Arizonan wind we are all too familiar with.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Edisto

Post by Edisto »

I usually try to be polite in responding to those who post here, but I'm going to make an exception in the case of AH. She clearly doesn't understand "nice," so I'm tryng a technique that's more her style.
of Being Earnest," 1895)