The Trial and the Prelim in Book Form!

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Stefani

The Trial and the Prelim in Book Form!

Post by Stefani »

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT

I have had tons of requests for printed copies of The Trial and the Preliminary Hearing and have spent the last few weeks making this so. You can now purchase bound, printed copies of The Trial of Lizzie Andrew Borden, in three volumes, through LuLu.com and Amazon.com. These are paper back volumes with perfect binding. The Trial is in three 6X9 inch volumes (it is too long to fit in just one or two).

In addition, I have just published the New Edition of The Preliminary Hearing through LuLu.com and soon to be on Amazon.com. The Prelim is in one 8.5 X 11 volume, perfect binding.

Here is the link to LuLu: http://www.lulu.com/PearTreePress

This copy of the Prelim is different than all others.

From the Foreword:

The Preliminary Hearing phase of the Commonwealth vs. Lizzie A. Borden began on Thursday, August 25 and lasted seven days, through Thursday, September 1, 1892. The judge who presided over this “probable cause hearing” was Josiah Coleman Blaisdell, the same judge that had officiated at the Inquest into the deaths of Andrew J. and Abby Borden.

The court stenographer, Miss Annie White, made only two copies of her report of the hearing; one was given to Hosea M. Knowlton, for the prosecution, and the other to Andrew J. Jennings, for the defense. This latter copy is the only one known to have survived. It has recently been discovered that this copy, one that we have all come to know as the official copy of the proceeding, is, in fact, both incomplete and inaccurate in regards to the order of witnesses, having been altered and edited for some long-forgotten reason. According to painstaking research by the editor of the Lizzie Borden Quarterly, Maynard F. Bertolet, there are major discrepancies between the order of the pages in the Preliminary Hearing and the events as they actually occurred.

Much to the chagrin and frustration of those who study the primary documents in the Borden case, the Jennings’s copy of the preliminary trial transcript is missing several rather important items, including the testimony of Thomas Keiran and Annie White, the reading of the Lizzie Borden inquest testimony by Mr. Knowlton, and all events from the seventh and final day of the trial—defense arguments, prosecution arguments, Judge Blaisdell’s summation, and the verdict.

This version of the Preliminary Hearing is unique. It combines a number of transcriptions from various sources in an effort to reproduce, as accurately and authentically as possible, the day-by-day proceedings of this all-important legal event in the history of the Borden murders of 1892. Since the Jennings copy has sections out of sequence, as well as an error in numbering where the text jumps from page 34 to 45, this new print version has sought to rectify these discrepancies in the interest of providing researchers with a readable copy.

We are proud to say that the document before you now reads in the order in which the witnesses were called, includes the closing statements of the defense and prosecution and the judge’s summation and verdict, and contains the entirety of Lizzie’s own Inquest testimony which was read into the official record but not reproduced in the original transcription.

Each page of this new document includes the original pagination from the Jennings copy of the Preliminary positioned in the text on the left side of the page. In this way, researchers can still refer to pages noted by previous scholars and, at the same time, enjoy a chronological reading of the transcript in its entirety. Even if you have read the Jennings’ copy previously, we think you will find that this new version will speak to you in new ways—for the first time you will be conscious of the relationship between the testimonies of the witnesses. You might even find yourself seeing the case in a fresh light and making inspired never-before contemplated connections.

We have decided to retain the following aspects of the Jennings’ copy: pagination and page breaks, grammatical errors, as well as typographical and spelling mistakes. Aspects of the original that have not been retained include sentence length, paragraph spacing, and indentations.

The research, transcription, and verification of this document proved to be a very long process, undertaken by three Borden scholars: Harry Widdows (who accomplished the bulk of the work), Kat Koorey, and Stefani Koorey. We are confident that you will be pleased with the outcome.

Haulover

Post by Haulover »

good job. very nice covers too. i think worth the money. i'm getting them. solves the problems of these printouts getting in disarray -- for me anyway. i'm getting them.

i like this. excellent idea.
augusta

Post by augusta »

At last - a hard copy of the trial I can read anywhere! Gotta have it.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I saw the New Edition Prelim yesterday. It is really cool and I was thinking "you can write in it!"
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Great work!

Sorry my response is so belated. I had been reading the Witness Statements which I printed out for easier reading from online.

I can't even imagine trying to print the TRIAL out. My printer would die on me.

This is just so awesome!!!