A New View of Lizzie

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Edisto

A New View of Lizzie

Post by Edisto »

Someone on eBay is selling a jug of brick dust from 92 Second Street. There's a bid of just under $20. The interesting thing about the listing (to me anyway) is the portrait of Lizzie, which appears to be one of those porcelain plates from the FRHS. It has been placed so that Lizzie's photo (the same familiar one we all know and love) is foreshortened, making her jaw look less prominent and the top of her face more so. She looks almost like a child. That shows how easy it is to change somebody's appearance by slightly adjusting an image.
"To lose one parent...may be regarded as misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."
-Oscar Wilde ("The Importance
of Being Earnest," 1895)
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

It's a button, actually. They sell them at the B&B. The seller must have gotten both there as I think they are the only sellers of the dust.

I totally agree with you about making small adjustments to the images and you see a different person. When I was doing the mousepad I showed the image compilation I had done to Kat and Harry and Kat especially noticed that her face was fat. I hadn't enlarged the image proportionately so it was slightly distorted. It is very easy to make her look very different, but that is problably because we all have the few photos of her so memorized!
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

I saw that dust-- But I have no interest in owning dust from The Leery Press--- which has nothing to do with Lizzie....
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

I am not interested in owning a piece of brick, but I wouldn't mind having a picture of lizzie, that would be so neat.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
Edisto

Post by Edisto »

It's pretty easy to get a nice picture of Lizzie. I'm sure the FRHS has 'em for sale, and this site has some items with her picture too. When I first got interested in Lizzie, my husband saw a supposed unknown Lizzie portrait on eBay and bid on it for me. He "won" it, but of course it really wasn't Lizzie. Didn't even look much like her. I emailed the seller and asked him how he had authenticated it, and he said he had bought it at an antique show, and the dealer was someone he trusted. He also offered to take it back if I could prove it wasn't Lizzie. Kinda hard to prove that! I suppose the fact that it looks very little like her wouldn't be enough for him. I didn't want to return it anyway, because I'd started a collection of photographs that are represented as Lizzie or look somewhat like Lizzie. The variety is amazing.
"To lose one parent...may be regarded as misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."
-Oscar Wilde ("The Importance
of Being Earnest," 1895)
Kashesan

Post by Kashesan »

Who'se to say it isn't really dust from 92? Someone could have gone out into their backyard in Joilet, Illinois (?) and packaged it up as Lizzie dust.

:smiliecolors:
"It seemed friendly enough, but it had sharp claws and a great many teeth. Alice thought it best to treat it with respect"
Lewis Carroll