Ebay offering

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

debbiediablo

Re: Ebay offering

Post by debbiediablo »

Reminds of a cross between The Ring and Candyman (my kids loved horror movies).
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*
Even Paranoids Have Enemies

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear."
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

OK. Here we go.......................AGAIN!

Now, many of you have seen this well known photo of the girl some claim to be Lizzie.

This photograph has been floating around in many publications for years. Suppose to be Lizzie Borden. It is not. The girl in the photo is more handsome than Lizzie, but that is my opinion.

The fellow who has the original photo has it up for sale on EBAY. Wants 5000 dollars. That's right, 5 grand.

THOUGH, it sounds like the seller really did his homework and sincerely tried to prove that it was Lizzie Borden. His post below does sound honest, I give him credit for that....... but not for the offer of 5000. Even if it was Lizzie. I'm sure if it was and the photo was auctioned off it would bring a handsome sum. But I don't think anywhere near 5000 dollars. Especially since the seller doesn't even know himself.

Here is what he says about it:

This is going to be a controversial listing: The background on this image is:

We purchase this photograph from a Fall River Mass Antiques Dealer in 1984 located on Durfee Street. The dealer was cleaning out a house in the area of Main Street and found this image in the basement. We and the dealer at the time said that the lady on the lower right corner looked a lot like Lizzie Borden. In fact, when ever we showed the picture, we would ask if they could recognize Lizzie in the photo and without exception all would point to the same person. The photo was taken by Gay's Studio of Photography which had a studio in Fall River, Newport and I believe Providence. The name "Gay's" is written in pencil on the lower right corner of the matt. The only other notation is on the reverse where the name "Mrs. Hawkins 100 # 968" is written in pencil on the lower left corner. The Fall River Historical Society staff has always opined that this image is NOT Lizzie Borden and that none of the ladies in the photo are from Fall River. Around 1988-89 we made an appointment to see Dr. Henry Chang-Yu Lee. He is one of the world's foremost forensic scientists and founder of the Henry C. Lee Institute of Forensic Science. We met with him at his office in Connecticut and he viewed the photograph and we explained our purpose. We brought detailed documented images of Lizzie Borden and he examined all the pictures. He would not offer an opinion either in support or against our group portrait. He though that the subject was intriguing but said that the process for him to verify our photograph would be very costly. . . .so we said thank you and left. Next we contacted Swann Auction Gallery in New York City and they agreed to auction the photograph as possibly being that of Lizzie Borden, but a representative of The Newport Historical Society call them and informed that the portrait did not include Lizzie and in fact none of the ladies in the photograph were from Fall River, so the photograph was withdrawn from auction. A professor who was the editor of a Lizzie Borden Journal came to Newport and examined the image and informed us that his opinion was that the subject was Lizzie Borden - without a doubt; he left and then a few weeks later emailed that he had changed his opinion and that it was not of Lizzie Borden. So this photograph has been sitting on a shelf in our library for 15 years and I am bringing it out again for consideration. We are selling this photograph with the potential buyer making up their own mind if this group includes Lizzie Borden. We are selling this photograph as is with unidentified subjects. There it is.

Size: Matt 16" x 19" photograph size: `3" x 10.25"

Condition: considerable staining to the matt and a tear in the matt 2.5" in toward the right side of the photograph. Edge loss to the Matt.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261800863126?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I tried cleaning the picture up a little in my picture file. Looking at the girl I would say she is probably in her late teens. But not much older than that.

The attire the group is wearing was made popular around 1890 to about 1892. The size of the gigot sleeves worn came out around 1892 and were popular until 93 or so, when they became much more flared and the bellowed material rode further down the forearm. You can see the dresses the girls are wearing have a little hump on the upper shoulder, that's all. Thus the photograph was taken around 1890-92. The girl in the photo looks 18. Lizzie was 32 at the time.

Gigot or Leg of mutton sleeves were popular in the early part of the 19th century and up to the civil war, when they began to fall out of favor. The trend picked up for a short while once again towards the end of the 19th century. People's clothing is one of the best ways to date a photograph. Look at bell bottoms and platform shoes.

:study:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Tried cleaning up the image a little, but I don't have photo shop so I do my best with what I have. Another perspective of the closeup.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Life is funny. This poor girl. Who is she? An obscure individual who had a picture taken over 120 years ago and this is probably the peak of her existence, a controversial photograph. It has been seen by hundreds if not thousands, and the poor girl has been given the infamous label "Lizzie Borden." Little did she know that when this picture was taken that it would circulate through out this electronic medium to be discussed by Scholars, students, and nut cases all over the country. Wish we knew a little about her, at the very least her name.

Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Has anyone noticed if any original porters have been on the market and how much they have going for?
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Edwin Porter's book, the original 1893 publication, has not shown its face on ebay for a while.

Right now, the only copy on the market is being sold by ABE books. At the going rate, which has lots to do with condition.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I was pondering on selling one of mine, I have 2 of them but they are both in poor condition.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Are both of yours first editions, Fargo? If so, then I'm sure you can sell one of them for a hefty chunk of change.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Yes, Twinsrwe, they are both first editions but the one at abe books is in good condition, mine would be a few grades below that.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

OK, I see what you are saying.

I didn't see any first edition books in the used book section, but I may have skimmed over the entries a bit too fast:

http://tinyurl.com/pzp2q2k
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

The trio of books Philip's History of Fall River. Each book tells stories from different time lines so Lizzie is only in 1 of the books. I got 1 extra copy but its not one of the Lizzie books. I don't know if that would be worth much. I got scammed into buying it aas the seller described it as having Lizzie in it. I should. Have made a complaint
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Phillips History of Fall River is still one of the best books on early fall river history.

It was published in 3 volumes or fascicles. The Borden story is in volume 3. For those not familiar with Mr. Phillips, Arthur Sherman Phillips was an attorney on the Borden team. A minor figure and a new lawyer at age 28, he did play a part in the trail as evidence collector of the defense. Phillips never lived to see his 3 volume tome published and died 3 years before it was edited and printed. The first volume was published in 44, the second in 45, and the third in 46.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Yes, I didn't consider the purchase a loss as it is about fall river. I was looking for the other 2 volumes when I found a seller selling all 3 volumes as a package. I purchased them and now I have the first one as an extra volume. I don't remember which volume it is though, first or second. I have to check.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Whacky stuff people sell on ebay.

There's no doubt to there being blood on that dress. Look at the puddle she's standing in. Love the name, LIZZY BORTEN.

Offered on EBAY as we speak.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Oh my goodness, MB. Not only is Lizzie standing in a puddle of blood, Andrew fell 'head over heels' over that darn couch! No doubt someone will buy this item!
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Looks like Andrew got a more modern couch from the 1970's lol
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Two bids on the silly Borden item. Wonder why the artist spelled the name incorrectly? Up to 61 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231518660582?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

That's right, and funny Fargo. Does look like a 70s sofa. Looks like it's made out of sausages. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Ok People. Item in the post above is up to 113 dollars with 20 hours left. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
pld0128

Post by pld0128 »

OMG!!!!!
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I guess I know how to make "easy money " now
pld0128

Post by pld0128 »

Sold for $113.50
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

No way I would pay that much for that item.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Neither would I Fargo!!!
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I don't get it. It says it's been re listed with a starting bid of $49.99
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Unless the seller has a second one, the buyer probably bowed out.

There are two others, one of Lizzie holding a severed head and the other of Abby dead on the bed.

Also, there's another post by another seller claiming to be selling a "Lizzie mask".

The things people sell....the things people buy.

Fargo

Post by Fargo »

My first thought was that maybe the buyer actually thought they could sell it for even more and turn a profit lol
pld0128

Post by pld0128 »

I saw it relisted today also. I wondered why the other bidders didn't have it offered to them….or did they all then refuse it. Something's fishy!!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

One needs to understand the mind of the bidder.

Though the losers were probably disappointed when they lost, later they probably rejoiced in not winning.

As one is bidding it is easy to pay to much, especially if some other bidder keeps bidding the item up. For some this becomes personal and suddenly they are willing to pay big to beat the other guy.

I couldn't tell you how many times I bid too high, received the item, and was beside myself when I realized how much I paid.

The other bidders probably came to this same conclusion and had enough time to let the bidding fever pass.

After all, getting the item is at times more important than possessing it.

Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I wonder if the starting bid was the same in the first auction. Kinda high for that item.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Maybe the price went so high because of the hype over "The Lizzie Borden Chronicles"
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Maybe the price went so high because of the Hype over "The Lizzie Borden Chronicles" :alcohol:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I was just mentioning Edwin Porter's book just the other day on another thread, and how there are many copies around—a lot more have survived, more than many people think, or as Frank Spiering stated in his book "Lizzie," that there were only three known copies.

This item below has been on eBay three times. The Fall River Tragedy.

He listed it for $900, then re-listed it for $700, and now it is on again "now" for $400. Not in very good shape. I for one would rather pay more for a better copy. This copy is just below what is common for the condition of this book.

I consider it fair to poor condition.

Condition ratings for books usually go this way. Mint, Fine, Very Good, Good, Fair, and Poor. One dealers "Fine" may be another dealers "Good." A copy that is listed "Fine" should be in exceptional condition. Fresh looking, crisp, no damage, tears or scuffing. "Mint" should be used to describe newer books. It is rare to find a book published in the 1800s listed as mint.

Again, this copy is fair to poor. I have never seen this particular copy before. I should have kept count over the years, but I have seen upwards or 12 to 15 copies listed on eBay alone. I have personally handles 5 or 6 copies in stores or shows. I have a copy, and my girlfriend has two copies. She had three.

So you see. Frank Spiering, and the new book by Rory Taylor, got it wrong. The book is not as rare as many think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361338606660?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

The never ending crazy sales at eBay.

There's this old milk can for sale on eBay. It's stamped "Taunton."

Seller claims that the can came for the Taunton Lunatic asylum. And that Lizzie Borden spent some time there.

This is what the add claims:

19 inch old rusted milk can from Taunton State Hospital in Massachusetts. Est in 1854 used to be called the "Lunatic Hospital". It housed several famous people including Lizzie Borden. Hospital is on historic society, but it collapsed and is totally gone now. The hand painted house is a sweet scene with front porch and white picket fence, but somehow gives me a strange feeling. I have been informed by a local photographer that this house was the caretakers house on the south side of the property..This is a great rare find for history lovers, especially those from the Northeast.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/antique-milk-ca ... 43dfc53c6b
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

I love how people just add the name Borden and people actually believe it and want to buy it!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

WOULD YOU WEAR IT?

OFFERED ON EBAY.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lizzie-Borden-P ... 35ee111f85
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Oh my goodness! I would be afraid to wear this; people may think I'm dangerous!!! :shock:
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

Don't take this the wrong way but yes, I'd wear it. I'd probably spend all day explaining it, too. :grin: But alas, it doesn't get too cold down in GA during the winter, at least not for this old girl. :oops: Of course, that isn't to be an oops icon but the boy! I'm hot today!
patsy

Post by patsy »

I'd probably wear it one time just for kicks.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Anyone looking for a cheap copy of Parallel Lives :?:

This copy's on eBay as we speak. 20 bucks, with 5 dollar shipping. Now that's a reasonable deal.

Unless the bidding goes up.

As it stands now, no one has bid on it yet. I'm tempted to bid myself, but if I win what in the world am I going to do with 4 copies on my shelf?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FE-Parallel-Liv ... 1c571b9f3e
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Holy Moly, that is an unheard of price for Parallel Lives! :shock:

Well, MB, if you decide to bib on it and win, then, as a suggestion, you could give it as a 'welcome to the neighborhood' gift to your new neighbor.
Last edited by twinsrwe on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

MB- I second Twins' post. If you win it, gift it to your neighbor.
augusta

Post by augusta »

I have an original newspaper featuring Dillinger's death in it. It had been nibbled on by a few bugs when stored, and I told a friend, "I don't think I'll be able to sell this on Ebay." And he said, "Sherry, you can sell ANYTHING on Ebay," and proceeded to tell me that he found a rock in his driveway that was shaped like Jesus, and he got $50 for it.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Oh my goodness, $50.00 for a rock!!! :shock: I guess you can sell anything on Ebay!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

How about 115 dollars for a doll?

Always something new "Lizzie" on eBay. Usually not to her benefit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIZZIE-BORDEN-R ... 1c57b5161f
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

MB-

Nice doll! :smile: But I wouldn't pay $115 for it! I have wanted to make some bags with pics of Lizzie and others to sell but can't find non-licensed pictures to use. However, anything goes on Ebay!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Here we go again.....

Ebay seller with old photos which he claims to be Lizzie and Emma.

Not certain how many photos there are in the collection, but he is asking like 18,000 plus. :alcohol: :alcohol: :alcohol:

The second photo suppose to be Lizzie and Emma, and the last photo Lizzie.

Once again, as always, not Lizzie, not Emma, not Borden...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262105472400?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

It will interesting to see if the seller actually sells these photos for $5,995.00! I feel sorry for whoever buys them, because they are going to get ripped off, big time. :sad:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Check out this copy of Porter's book on ebay. (Link below) Being sold in England. Mind you, it has been rebound with new covers and endpapers but what a splendid, worthy job they did. You can't beat an English bookbinder. English do fine, proud work with books.

This is a very desirable copy for 300 dollars. Nicely done. Of course most collectors want an untouched copy, but this is very acceptable substitute.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1893-Porter-THE ... Sw7ZFVAfYU