Ebay offering

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

william

Post by william »

Michael:

In your discussion with Rebello re. his book, was anything mentined about an index revision? I would be willing to buy a copy of the new book if the index was augmented.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Yes WILLIAM:

Leonard is very mindful of the difficulties and complaints voiced by many who have purchased his book.

He assured me that it would be refined to all our satisfaction along with other addendum and additional discoveries.

Since new discoveries are being uncovered everyday it would be anyone's guess when a new edition will be published.

When asked about the 2nd edition of LIZZIE BORDEN PAST AND PRESENT and when it may be published he did not give a clue, only that a second edition is warranted and would be forthcoming. At least that was my impression.

But in conversation I walked away believing that the Index would be a priority.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:-?

The book below has 32 minutes to go, but yet to sell. Why? It's only 99 cents.

Ahhhh ! It cost 12 dollars to mail. Twelve dollars to mail a book that cost under 3 dollars to post.

Selling ploy? Well, dumb, dumb, dumb....... :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Lizzie-Borden-A ... dZViewItem
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Here's an interesting item. It was posted not long ago for (I believe it was) 199 dollars. It did not sell. What do we do?????????? Re-list it for 250 dollars and a 500 dollar buy it now. :-? :-?

The way it is going up in price you would think it came with 10 gallons of gasoline.

So, hurry and buy it now. If it does not sell this time around it may go up into the thousands.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Annotated-Psyc ... dZViewItem
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

:roll:

"...THIS BOOK ALSO COMES WITH A PACKAGE OF AUTHENTIC DIRT (shown below beside the ruler) FROM THE BASEMENT OF THE LIZZIE BORDEN HOUSE! ..."

I suppose this means anybody who helps clean up around the place can just as well try making $ on Ebay. Eg. "Authentic dust from from the murder scene." Ooooh!

“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Tina: This sale opens up a couple of questions to the true worth of the item, that is to say, the book was just published, why sell your personal reference copy so soon after publication?

If the findings of the book is such a vital, vivid revelation, why give it up so quickly.

Is it all about the money?

Is this a spoof?

If I have a ghost talking to me and I am taking notes about such an important historical event and discovering realities that have been pursed by so many for so long, all told to me by ghosts, why would I give it away?

:farao:
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Yes, very much akin to PT Barnum's "There's a sucker born every minute."

Having written a couple of books myself (neither of which was a psychic revelation), it would take a lot for me to part with anything I used to put them together. This behaviour is pretty foreign to me.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Do we remember this theory? That *when he [Andrew] saw Emma he had to die* ?? Sounds familiar...
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Perhaps the spirit they were channeling was Frank Spiering.

:wink:
Harry

Post by Harry »

To be cruel it's not even worth the shipping and handling charge.

Larry (Harry's evil twin)
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

double post
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

What gives ?

I just bought the same book, from the same seller, less than 2 months ago for $27.00 with buy it now, on ebay.

I already have a copy of the earlier edition of the same book. I haven't looked through all of the new edition yet, but it is is quite a bit larger than the earlier edition and has more pages.

Most of the book's increased size is because it contains more details of the actual Borden case, that the earlier edition does not have.

I notice the extras like the notes and pasted on pictures, but asking $473.00 more than the regular copy, just for that, is a bit much.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:-? :-? :-?

O........K............?

Here it is again. It was up for 200 starting bid, went up to 250, and once again the psychic powers are at work and raised it one more time.

Now it is up to 300 starting bid------with no bidders.

Do you think they are having second thought, or are they just trying to psych us out :?: :?: :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Annotated-Psyc ... dZViewItem
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:-? :scratch:

O..........K............Heeeeeeeeeeeere we go again.

If you have been reading the posts above allow me to confuse you even more. I have lost count of the price change on this item, but finally it's up for a reasonable fee.

Yes, the bidding price has changed once more.

Apparently they are serious about selling it now; 140 starting bid and 175 buy it now.

Sorry we all had to wait. Does not seem fair when we could have had this item for 500 dollars, buy it now, just a couple of days ago. :roll: :?::arrow:

(TO BE FAIR I HAVE PURCHASED SEVRAL TIMES FROM THIS SELLER. HE HAS ALWAYS BEEN VERY PROFESSIONAL AND I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN HAPPY WITH HIS ITEMS. I WOULD DEFINATELY BUY AGAIN FROM PHANTOM-BOOKSHOP-OF-VENTURA)

http://cgi.ebay.com/VERY-RARE-Annotated ... dZViewItem
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Though I have a large collection of Fall River Postcards, not many are photo postcards. Photo postcards are some of the most expensive cards one can collect.

A good example is the Fall River card below which just sold on ebay. Very interesting. This house sat on a high point overlooking the Beattie Quarry on Locust, just across the street from Oak Grove cemetery.

I was always fascinated to why they would print post cards of tragedy, which was common.

This card just sold for almost 100 dollars.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Available on Ebay right now;

1 The clock from the sitting room mantlepiece.

2 Emma's cup

3 Lizzie's doughmaker

4 Lizzie's Icepick
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, Fargo........here is the MONDO link to the story......

http://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

:batman:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, though the Rebello below, LIZZIE BORDEN PAST AND PRESENT, has yet to show a bid, I'm sure that there are a couple of serious collectors who are waiting to pounce on it.

The last time a Rebello came up for sale on ebay, it was a little less than a year ago and I was the seller. That copy went for a deal at a tiny bit over a Hundred dollars.

The 99 dollars starting bid here is a good one. Though you see this book sell for 275 to 400+ I would guess that a fair market price would be anything around 150. But, all you need is two or three "must have Sorts" bidding and............well, who knows what it could sell for.

For a book this scarce (not rare) to sell for only twice its cover price is a good deal. And, though the author has hinted on a paperback issue, we can not be sure it will ever come to pass. (but if so, would probably sell for around 35 dollars, new)

Again, the starting bid being offered here is a value not to be passed up if you are serious about studying the case and do not currently own this title.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=020
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, as you can see, there is a slug-fest between two bidders who will probably pay more than they had to...............or who in the end will be sniped by a third party with deep pockets.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0276954249

I never really understood why people bid early...........get beat out by someone else's bid, thus bid again, only to be out-bid again etc. etc.

When I bid I do so in the last 20 seconds or so and I bid only once.

If I really want the item I put in the absolute most I am willing to pay. But, I don't play the game these two are in bidding up the book higher and higher. Why not bid at the last minute, and may the highest bid win.

Bidding in the last 20 seconds gives you only one chance to bid. This is a good thing and prevents you from paying more then you really wanted to and getting sucked into the "bid war."

Of course, this is great fun and more fortune for the seller.

In collecting my "boy adventure collection" there was this other fellow who use to bid on the same books. On many items it was just him and I bidding. This was in my early ebay days. Him and I would slug it out until one won out. Then I stopped bidding until the last 20 seconds. I won book after book and paid a lot less for them. After a while he was so nervous about losing the item he spent most of the time bidding against himself.

Well, at this writing there is only 14 hours left on the Rebelllo, LIZZIE BORDEN PAST AND PRESENT

I wish all the bidders luck and the seller good fortune. There is bound to be more than one winner with this one.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0276954249

:study:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

AND THE BIDDING CONTINUES, with less than 3 hours to go for bidding. I don't understand it. Why are these two guys driving up the price?

BID ONCE AND BID HIGH......in the last minute.

If Ebay was smart they would not let anyone bid in the last minute without the clock extending the auction for an additional minute until all bidding stops for at least a minute, that is, a full minute without bids.

When at a real auction the hammer only drops when the bidding stops, not when the clock runs out.

This way "mannequins" like these two could continue to bid till the end of time.
Grace

Post by Grace »

:lol:

While that would be amusing to watch, I am quite pleased that that is not the way that E-bay works! :wink:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

OH YES GRACE: I to am happy it doesn't work that way also!

But with all the shrewd tactics ebay exercises and the UNFAIR way it operates.............like telling users that they have no choice but to pay with paypal and that is the only method allowed, I am surprised they haven't figured that one out yet. If so, it would be very good for the sellers, but a pain and worry for buyers.

Also........I can not understand why some other auction site has not started up to compete with ebay.

Ebay is a monopoly. Someone needs to put them in their place.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

It sounds like I'm not the only disgruntled eBayer in the crowd! That business with paypal being the only acceptable method of payment was the last straw. I've completed several hundred transactions with 100% feedback, and not one of them was with paypal. I'm all through with eBay!

I agree, the best thing for eBay would be some stiff competition.
To do is to be. ~Socrates
To be is to do. ~Kant
Do be do be do. ~Sinatra
Harry

Post by Harry »

EBay owns PayPal and has since 2002. They still should provide for alternative methods of payment.
Grace

Post by Grace »

I haven't ever had issue or noticed that Paypal was being 'pushed' I have seen auctions that refuse to accept Paypal. I generally won't even consider buying that way. I opened a Paypal account when I opened my E-Bay account and I prefer to pay through Paypal even elsewhere.

However, I've never encountered a problem though I have heard other people have had difficulties. The one time that I had to open a dispute it was resolved to my satisfaction within a couple of weeks.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Yes, looking at the help pages E-Bay lets the seller decide what methods of payments they will accept:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/methods.html

I am sure they 'encourage' ppls to choose Paypal, since they benefit most from that method.
Harry

Post by Harry »

I've had no problems with PayPal but I'm not a heavy buyer on EBay.

I did have a problem with an item I won but never received. It was a postcard addressed to one of Lizzie's relatives and cost $20. Filed a claim with EBay and let's just say they were less then helpful.

IMO, EBay leans heavily toward the sellers not the buyers.
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Grace @ Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:46 am wrote:Yes, looking at the help pages E-Bay lets the seller decide what methods of payments they will accept:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/methods.html

I am sure they 'encourage' ppls to choose Paypal, since they benefit most from that method.
Grace, look on that page you linked to. Note it says this:
Other payment methods

"Checks, money orders, and bank wire transfers are not allowed for most eBay purchases.

However, sellers may offer these payment methods for certain categories of items including vehicles, capital and business equipment, real estate, and Adult Only items."

This just changed in October. No longer can sellers accept checks or money orders. If they find out that you are taking checks you can be suspended. Yes, suspended. This is a monopoly of the very worst kind.

ebay takes a fee when you post and item for sale. When it sells, they take a cut. Then when your buyer pays with the REQUIRED paypal, they take another percentage. That is three cuts off of one sale. If you sell anything under $5 it is not worth it. For smaller items, those around 1 or 2 dollars, you make NOTHING.

Buyers pay nothing extra.

OH< and the other thing is they are now pushing people to offer Free shipping. You get your item in a higher rank of best match when you offer free shipping. Well, guess why they want you do that? Give up? they get a cut off the shipping fee if you add it to the price of the item. Now, they don't. They only get a cut from the listing and sale of the item itself.

RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF. Don't you agree? :mad:
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

EBAY is one big bloodsucker; trying to prevent other methods of payment is just unfair and the government should step in to stop it.

And their new attempt to insist users to offer free shipping and add it to the cost of the item solidifies the greed. By raising the price of the item they make more profit. As it stands, they make nothing on the postage.

Can't wait for something bigger and better to come down the pike. With all the unhappy ebay shoppers, and believe me there are plenty, I can't believe they exist with little competion.

Ebay is one monster mosquito which needs someone to swat and force them to play fairly.

These huge companies should not be allowed to operate like organized crime.

Let's take my credit card company. I just recieved notice that my interest rate has been raised from 11 to 14 percent. Also included was the warning that stated: SEND IN ONE, JUST ONE LATE PAYMENT AND YOUR INTEREST RATE GOES UP TO 25 PERCENT.

I should just go up to Boston and borrow from the mob. At least Vinnie will invite me to dinner. :twisted:
Grace

Post by Grace »

:shock: Wow.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

My viewpoint is based on something more than principle, although that would be sufficient by itself. I have never been a member of paypal. A few years ago, I noticed a big discrepancy in a bank account. It turns out that paypal had taken over $500.00 from a checking account, and without authorization because I wasn't a member. I was a member of eBay at the time and I imagine someone somehow got hold of my checking account number and used it to sign themselves up on paypal. They should have had records of who was using my account number, but they refused any and all help in the matter. I will NEVER be a member of paypal, not in this lifetime! If paypal is a subsidiary of eBay, then it's time to quit eBay, too! Sorry for the rant.
To be is to do. ~Kant
Do be do be do. ~Sinatra
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:wink:

Sorry to put it that way. There is no emotion exercised in my evaluation of ebay and the credit card companies you see.........I'm just stating the facts.

The American public is truly sheep to these billion dollar conglomerants. Everyone just accepts them and their unfair greedy practices.

As much as they are wrong for treating the customer this way, the customer is just as wrong for allowing them to shove it to us.

It is wrong NOT to become cross and furious about these practices.

To accept them and become almost complacent as a shopper, to find no fault in their practices and not complain about or do something about it, to accept it all, is to become a PAWN in their unjustified affluence.

And becomming a pawn is the first step in becoming the prey. Soon you find yourself a hostage. And the next natural step in the cycle is to become a coward. They know it. They love it. They are becoming filty rich by it.

And please don't get me wrong. I am a hostage. I am a pawn. I am a the prey also. All self imposed you understand. But the first step in stopping the process is to be aware and become angry about it all. Not to do so and accept it all is to say less about oneself; to subscribe to cowardism.

Thus we must become more pro-active, stand erect and find some way of shoving it to the man.

Please GRACE..........this is not directed at you. It is mostly directed at me. The first step in becoming pro-active you understand.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes YOOPER.

Forgive me for saying so, but you know nothing about ranting. You want to see ranting, read my post above. I was born ranting. :lol: :lol:

Sadly, I use paypal. Just about half of my purchases and sales are overseas. I have sold to Brazil, Sweden, South Africa, Australia, Mayalasia, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Netherlands, Canada, etc.

The only reason I subscribed to paypal is becuase it is so easy to sell abroad and to process the exchange of payment between countries. That is the only reason.

But in doing so, I have a "dedicated" checking account for ebay alone with a minumum balance in it, or just enough to complete a transaction. I don't want ebay in my checking account or anyone else in that matter.

Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Isn't it interesting that eBay, a forum based upon competition among bidders, tries to foster and promote a dictatorship based upon a lack of competition?

The only remedy I can come up with is to become one fewer competitor myself. If enough people do likewise, maybe prices will drop drastically enough to discourage sellers.
To be is to do. ~Kant
Do be do be do. ~Sinatra
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I don't know if it is true, but a seller that I have bought from on ebay told me that as seller ( a power seller I think ) he has to have an approval rating of between 4 and 5 stars, which is almost impossible to do.

If he does not maintain this rating from his buyers ebay charges him more for him to place his auctions.

As he pointed out to me, it is natural for most people to give no more than 4 stars even if everything went fine with the deal.

Furthermore he said that ebay tells buyers that 3 or 4 stars is okay.
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Ebay tried this baloney in Australia and the government there said no. They were not allowed this deplorable policy in that country.

I have made my complaint to the FTC. So have many others. They need to be stopped from this activity. Don't they have enough money?
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, You must go to MONDO and check out the latest LIZZIE BORDEN found Photo.

Boy does she look mean.

And there's also a NEW photo of ANDREW BORDEN.

He's got a face that only a daughter would want to kill.

http://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Fargo

Post by Fargo »

We have 2 books on ebay that supposedly belonged tp Emma with a starting bid of $999.00
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

How interesting to see Emma's name in Lizzie's handwriting! The handwriting looks like the real thing, but OUCH!--that price!
Harry

Post by Harry »

Yes, I agree the handwriting definitely looks like Lizzie's.

Here's the URL: http://tinyurl.com/kmm73s

The real URL is 252 characters long. Try typing that without an error! :smile:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Harry--Stuartwsa:

The story of Lizzie signing Emma's books, and Emma inscriptions in books given to Lizzie, is one that has circulated in the Fall River Antiquarian Book Stores back in the 80s.

Back in the middle 80s, I handled a couple of these books (2 sets of 2 volues) at the Taste of Honey Bookstore on Main Street in fall river.

..............and I had made an offer on a set signed by Lizzie. The story was that they were signed by Lizzie but signed to Emma, using Emma's name.

At the time they sold for 500 dollars, this after I told the dealer to hang onto them and give me a chance to bid on them. At the time I was prepared to pay him 750. His loss.

This set could very well be one of them.

This could very well be Lizzie's handwriting. What differences that may shine through may be because she is not signing her name but her sisters.

Thus, Lizzie could have made the "B" and other letters, including the style, a little different.

Kat

Post by Kat »

New E-Bay "Lizzie"

Fargo

Post by Fargo »

We have a picture on Ebay, that is supposidly of second street. I don't know if #92 is in the picture though. I thought the steeple on the right could be St Mary's ?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Rare-Early-SV-FALL-R ... wItemQQptZ
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Fargo:

I have picked off that photo from ebay, printed it and studied it and enhanced it. It was not recognizable to me at first as Second Street and at first I did not think it was.

Then I compared it to another photo I have of Second Street which was taken in 1922 from the same window (?) as the one on Ebay.

Then I realized that the reason it did not look familiar was that it was a very, very early photo of Second Street. Just post Civial War, but before 1875 placing the photo around 1870 when Lizzie was just 5 years old and most likely before Andrew Borden lived there.

If you study the photo you will see a couple of ladies walking up Second Street. Their dress, sweeping the floor and bellowed like a bell was common around the time and before the Civil war.

Then I realized what it was that was very different.

The Academy Building, the Borden Block is missing. It should be right to the right of the photo. It was built around 1876, which makes this photo very early.

The photo was probably taken from one of the windows in the southeast corner of the City Hall who's back portion would give its occupants a view of Second Street.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

If you look closely at the photo below, you can notice in the distance the two trees that sat in front of the Andrew Borden House. They are in the street just at the curb at the top of the photo. Between and to the left of these trees is number 92.

Also, in this photo is the Academy building off to the right. The two buildings on the left are still there, but the third one is not and is taken up by a parking lot which you can not see in this photo.

The building on the left had a clothing store which I use to shop at when I was a kid. It was the place to go for your Barracuda Jacket, which was all the rave here in the 60s and 70s.

Both photos look like they were taken from the same location. The perspective is almost the same even though 50 years had passed
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Below are a couple of close-ups.

We can compare the west side of 2nd street in 1870 (?) and 1922.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

The East Side.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Though this is a great photo of 2nd street, and perhaps very rare, when it comes to it it is just not worth what he is asking for it. If it was a close and clear shot of the Borden house I would be prepared to bid.

Though very interesting, I would be prepared to pay around 20 or 30 dollars. But, please keep in mind, it may be worth more, or much less........but not what he is asking.

Now watch someone make a liar out of me.......... :lol: :lol:

I have expanded the original photo to try and enhance the trees infront of the Borden house. Bur even these are extremely difficult to make out.

But if you look towards the top of the photo, you can see buggy in the middle of the road. Just to the left of it you can just about make out the trees.

Fun picture to scrutinize.

I've enjoyed it. :study:
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Awesome photos guys.