Ebay offering

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Lizzie Borden was a Blond, that is according to the Art work painting of her on Ebay right now. Item #120015819567.

Lizzie Borden was a blond
who dyed her hair in a pond
when she saw what she had done
care to finish it anyone?

I was going to say "she got a perm at half past one" In order for that painting to be her she would have had to dye her hair and have had a perm.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Good one, Tony! Love the cameo broach.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
RayS

Post by RayS »

I looked up Edwin Porter's 'Fall River Tragedy'? on Amazon, and there is a new edition $75 for sale.
I suspect some college is now offering a course in "Did she do it?". The high price for college textbooks includes the kickback to the college.
But I have no documentary proof.
It was Farmer William in the Bedroom with the Hatchet.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Finally, here it is, at a reasonable starting bid: The Knowlton Papers, opening bid, 100 dollars.

And also the old photo of Nance O'Neil, which has been on at least Six times, now being offered once again, this time for 65 dollars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Commonwealth-of ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIZZIE-BORDENS-LOVE ... dZViewItem

Eric

Post by Eric »

WATCH the shipping on this one. I typed in my zip code and the shipping was $22, and I live in the same state as the seller.
Eric

Post by Eric »

RayS......I know the Law Book Exchange was coming out with a new reprint, Is this the one you are refering to?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

That's true ERIC, I checked on postage to Fall River and it came out to $22.55. And that's for media mail. :-? Anyone interested in bidding should call on the seller first and check on the Postal fee.

Harry

Post by Harry »

Fargo @ Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:41 am wrote:Lizzie Borden was a Blond, that is according to the Art work painting of her on Ebay right now. Item #120015819567.

Lizzie Borden was a blond
who dyed her hair in a pond
when she saw what she had done
care to finish it anyone?

I was going to say "she had a perm at half past one" In order for that painting to be her she would have had to dye her hair and have had a perm.
Blond Lizzie got a bid!

http://tinyurl.com/jard8
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Kat

Post by Kat »

It's not bad, considering it's a miniature.
Thanks for the link, Har!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:-?

Yes Eric: Checked with the dealer on ebay about postage on the Knowlton Papers from NJ to Fall River. He said the fee was correct, $22.50 for media mail.

Of course it is the sellers prerogative to place what ever postal fee she or he chooses.

But let's look at this: Knowlton book weighs under 3 pounds. That would make it just under 3 dollars for media mail from NJ to MA. Let us allow 2 dollars for a box and 1 dollar for bubble wrap; and what the heck, let's give him 2 dollars handling fee for his trouble. Thats a grand total of 8 dollars for postage, Fair? No? Yes?

That leaves 14.50 profit up and above postage; off the postage....OBSCENE :evil:
augusta

Post by augusta »

The perfect word for that shipping price, Mb - "obscene".
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

OMG...talk about a ridiculous price...I just got this from abebooks.com:
(the bold is mine)

1. Proceedings Lizzie Borden Conference, Bristol Community College, Fall River, Massachusetts, August 2-6, 1992,
[Unknown Author]
0961481153, Published on or around: 1993. ISBN: 0961481153. Item Details: Proceedings Lizzie Borden Conference, Bristol Community College, Fall River, Massachusetts, August 2-6, 1992 by [Unknown Author].
Bookseller: Aaron Brown, Corpus Christi, TX
Price: US$ 376.90

View or Order this Book:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Listing ... cm_la=want

Not only is the price bad, but the fact that it is advertised as "unknown author" makes this 'ad' even more asinine. While it is a compilation, Dr. Jules R. Ryckebusch (Bristol Community College) clearly put it together.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

That's hilarious Tracy, since Rychebusch's name is written right on the spine of both the hard cover and DJ and on the Title page.

If not mistaken, I think this dealer had Arnold Brown's book for sale for 300 dollars at one time somewhere, forgot where though, but remember the dealers name was also Brown......
Eric

Post by Eric »

:oops: Shamelessly showing my ebay listing for my unmarked Ltd to 1000 Porter. Hoping you atleast like my presentation :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

The never ending Lizzie Borden sale, On Ebay.

Check out this one, on only for 2 more days. Sort of looks like Lizzie, but very passive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-CHARCOAL-DR ... dZViewItem

The second sale is quite good. I think Lizzie never looked so good..(?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIZZIE-BORDEN-8x10- ... dZViewItem
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Hello Eric, congrats on turning over your Porter. None of my business but it appears like at the very least you made your money back. Good for you. 22 bids, slug fest huh? :smile:
Eric

Post by Eric »

Yeah, right down to the wire on that one! The interesting thing is it was purchased by a public library. I did not know that they made such aquisitons. I am glad the item sold but it seems a shame for a book in such great condition to be come a library book! Ouch!
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

Maybe it was purchased as a non-circulating copy in a special collections room?

--Lyddie
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

We have a Lizzie Borden Belt Buckle on Ebay. Home made I guess.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
diana

Post by diana »

Yes -- too bad they didn't know how to spell Lizzie's last name ...
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Anyone willing to let me borrow 5000 so I can purchase this signed Lizzie poem? Pay you back on Tuesday!!! (?) :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lizzie-Borden-Autog ... dZViewItem
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Just a short Heads up for Mr Rebello's, "Lizzie Borden Past and Present", in hardcover, like new.

Twice the fee of what a new one cost when being sold, but now out of print.

Chance to own a "collectable" copy of Len's book. But one must keep in mind that there is a good chance that such a valuable research tool will most likely be published in paperback sometime in the future.

Ms. Jo

Post by Ms. Jo »

I for one will be excited to see a second printing...& a sofcover would not hinder me from buying a copy.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I am always amazed by how Ebay and countless other sites have burst the lid off of the "scarce and rare" Jar. Books that were difficult to find are now readily available. Also, there are numerous copies, so one can afford to wait and be picky.

Amazing !

Sullivan's book below is being offered for 9 dollars. Not the best copy, just very good.

Back in the Eighties while visiting the Taste of Honey Bookstore or the Book Haven, two antiquarian literary emporiums, (at least as I like to remember them) Robert Sullivan's book was one of the more scarcer titles. A Sullivan could be had for 35 to 50 dollars in the 80s. (My copy, purchased in 1985, I am embarressed to say, cost me 50 dollars back then at A Taste of Honey)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infamous-Crime-HB-D ... dZViewItem
Kat

Post by Kat »

There is included on that sale site a photo of Andrew-on-the-couch and it says on the picture "From Porter."
That picture is not in Porter is it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Yes, that photo is in Porter.
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
diana

Post by diana »

Kat @ Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:41 pm wrote:There is included on that sale site a photo of Andrew-on-the-couch and it says on the picture "From Porter."
That picture is not in Porter is it?
That's the way Sullivan credited it in his book on page 30. I don't know about the Porter original -- but my Flynn reprint of Porter has what appears to be the same picture on the back of page 114.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks! I thought Porter was enjoined to not publish Andrew's picture. I guess I'm wrong about that.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

No KAT, you are RIGHT :!:

There is at least one copy with a portrait of Andrew; a formal sitting exists. I have a photo of it somewhere in my photo library in my other computer. I believe Andrew's likeness was originally used as a frontis. But Porter was sued to take it out. The one of Andrew dead on the couch was used because it was public record and property of the the Newspaper.
diana

Post by diana »

mbhenty @ Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:43 am wrote::smile:

No KAT, you are RIGHT :!:

There is at least one copy with a portrait of Andrew; a formal sitting exists. I have a photo of it somewhere in my photo library in my other computer. I believe Andrew's likeness was originally used as a frontis. But Porter was sued to take it out. The one of Andrew dead on the couch was used because it was public record and property of the the Newspaper.
Is the portrait of Andrew you refer to similar to the one on the back of page 51 in the Flynn edition? And is that picture of Andrew in the original Porter? I've never seen an original Porter -- so don't know how the editions differ.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes DIANA:

The photo in Flynn's edition, on the Rear of page 51, is the exact photo that Edwin Porter wanted to use. It was pulblished in the "Salesman's prepublication copy" as a frontispiece. After threats of a lawsuit by the Borden sisters the photo was retracted from the standard first printings.

So that photo, is not in the original porter.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

One interesting thing I forgot to mention was though the girls objected to the use of any portraits of their father, nothing was said about the photo of Abbie.

She appears as a young lady on page 22 of both the 1893 and the 1985 editions of Edwin Porters book.
diana

Post by diana »

That's interesting ... Thanks for clearing that up, Michael!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:eggface:

WEIRD, WEIRD, WEIRD.......DID I SAY WEIRD?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ShaDoW-BoX-LiZZie-B ... dZViewItem
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I think this is a great little item. (postcard) Frame it up and it would make great bathroom corner wall art.

I would like to bid on it, though the seller is trying to squeeze an extra buck out of the buyer with postage. Two dollars and fifty cents is a bit much. All that needs to be done is to stuff it into an envelope between two pieces of cardboard. Where is the expense there, no bubble wrap, brown paper, box and labor? One dollar to 1.50 the most.

Postal fees like this prevent me from bidding on such items. A better business ploy would be to start the item at 2.50 cents more and offer free shipping, though others may feel different. A must have at times is what drives us. After all it is a cute collectable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

That is cute!
One thing- it looks like she needs a halo tho.
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Oohh, Edward Gorey--my favorite~! It's too bad he never did a book on the Borden case, although many might feel that the Bordens actually stepped out of an Edward Gorey book!
The FRHS used to sell the card in their gift shop, but I don't know if they still do or not. I'd like to get my hands on a copy of that card as well.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Well Stuartwsa:

Here is your chance to have a Edward Gorey Lizzie Borden post card. The same seller has just posted another after having sold the one above for 26 DOLLARS. (please see link below)

But, before you bid let me give you my take on things.

One goes to an auction and views all the items up for bid. On a table is an original Modigliani sketch. The only one on the floor and it is described as original and rare, and indeed it would be.

Finally the auction begins and the last item is the Modigliani sketch. You bid. You win. You pay an amazing 26 dollars for it. (26,000 would be more like it) Hmmm, 26 dollars? Expensive you conclude, but rare. Then suddenly, from the back room the auctioneer brings out another "rare Modigliani print for bid. No one knew he had another hidden in the back. How would you feel about that? After all he just told you it was rare and then appears with another. How many does he have? Are there 50 others in the back room he is not telling us about.

What I am trying to point out here is, though it may not be wrong, there is something very unethical about selling an item, calling it rare, getting top dollar for it, then coming out with another right away.

To me there is a almost a level of deceit, though if true, small; or at the very least something sneaky about it. He could have hinted he had more than one, or give us the exact number up for bid in the future.

But, this sale leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and along with the 2.50 high end postage, further reason why I will not buy from this seller. He could have avoided this by leaving out the term "rare". Though it is true that the item is indeed scarce, now that there are two, it is only half as "rare".

(On the same page; if this was a different seller with the same postcard I could understand)

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-EDWARD-GOREY-L ... dZViewItem

:-? :money: :pirat:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

william

Post by william »

I couldn't agree with you more, Michael - add the shipping and handling to the original price and say, "free shipping!"

It also annoys me no end when I observe them posting the cost of S&H on TV ads in small type, then placing that information in an obscure location, hoping it will be overlooked by the buyer.
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

That eBay selling technique sounds rather reminiscent of someone we all know and "love." ;-)
I thought that the Gorey cards were still being produced, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe one of our Fall River members can check the FRHS gift shop to see if they have any left in stock?
BTW, has anyone made it to Gorey's home in Cape Cod, which has been made into a museum?
Michael

Post by Michael »

I think this is nonsense. How about you? Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lizzie-Borden-Autog ... p1638.m118
Q. "You have been on pleasant terms with your stepmother since then?"
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
A. "It depends upon one's idea of cordiality, perhaps."
Don

Post by Don »

Hi Michael, This item has been up for auction for quite awhile now, I wonder why it is not selling? Could it be it is way overpriced?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

YES, I would say this item is very over priced. A signature such as this should be attached to something, say: a letter, a book, or legal document, to aid in enhancing value or adding provenance.

The best scenario would be an inscription by Lizzie in a book to another well known person, friend, or relative................or similar, to approach such an asking price.

But, in reality this item is worth close to "ZERO". It is my estimation that it is not Lizzie's signature, and I believe this has already been discussed here on another thread.

In one-on-one discussions and study with an authority of Lizzie's signature we both concluded and agreed it is not Lizzie.

At the least very, very suspect...... :thumbdown:
darthvader

Post by darthvader »

Without question that is one of the most suspect highly priced "autographs" I have seen pretty much, well, ever. It has been a buy it now item on the 'bay' for the better part of a year.

mb has it right, for that kind of money the document would have to have historical content and un-questionable proof to go with it.

Has any one ever seen a Lizzie cancelled check? That type of item could bring the house down but even at that, what is it really worth? I could only guess $2500 maybe.
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

There was a check or some sort of bank note signed by Lizzie, and offered for sale several years ago in the LBQ. I can't remember what it was being offered for, or whether it sold or not. Does anyone else remember?
Too bad that whoever cleaned out Maplecroft after Lizzie's death didn't save a couple of her monthly bank statements.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Here it is Stuart- some kind of receipt?

stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Thanks, Kat! That's the one. I knew you'd have it at your fingertips! ;-)
I see it was being offered at $4,000. I wonder if it sold, and who owns it now.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I hold high regard for Leonard Rebello's book LIZZIE BORDEN PAST AND PRESENT. In saying that, I must add that I think that the market has artificially inflated the worth of the book. Once copies become scarce and you can no longer find any on the market, one can name their price.

PAST AND PRESENT was originally published at 50 dollars. I would judge it to be a 75 to 125 dollar book. This would be a fair amount. I would not pay more... wait for the revised edition.

I can not wait till Leonard publishes his emended edition. Most of us are not collectors and just want the book for what it offers in valued information, not for its collectable value. To pay what the market is asking for such use is a waste of money.

In discussions with the author, he hopes to have a new edition sometime in the future but he did not give a date. But, I would wait........

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-SIGNED-1st-EDI ... dZViewItem
Kat

Post by Kat »

stuartwsa @ Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:21 am wrote:Thanks, Kat! That's the one. I knew you'd have it at your fingertips! ;-)
I see it was being offered at $4,000. I wonder if it sold, and who owns it now.
I think it's the Swansea farm sale, 1910.

Yes, that item was dated to sell, 1994. I wonder too!