Ebay offering

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

twinsrwe

Re: Ebay offering

Post by twinsrwe »

Well, MB, as tempting as THAT offer is, I'm afraid I'll have to turn it down. I wouldn't give the seller 2 cents for it! :lol:

It's amazing what some sellers will try to sell, for an over the top price, by simply slapping Lizzie's name on it! :roll: It's even more amazing that someone will buy it!!! :shock: :eek:
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

There was once a man.... some say he was a prophet or God. He said something like: I'll make you fishermen of men.

Well, someone taught this eBay seller how to be: "fishermen of chumps and fools."

This book is currently for sale for 50 dollars at the Fall River Historical Society. And if you order one I am certain that the authors will sign it for free.

It is not rare. What is rare is the limited edition that was issued in a slipcase. That issue sold out quickly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Here it is. The real thing.

Uncommon for a Lizzie owned signed book since her surname is spelled out, 'Borden'. In pencil.

The book is dated 1893. It's probably an early Lizzie signature, since most of her later books were just initialed, L.A.B.

The first bidder must have placed a very high first bid, since another bidder came in a $700 and $800 and it still did not reach the level of the first bid left on the book by the first bidder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lizzie-Borden- ... SwsZJafYkT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

UPDATE:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Here we go...

Eight hours left on bidding and the bid is up to 960 dollars.

The fun is all between 2 bidders, with 11 bids. But be aware. There's probably a snipper out there waiting for the last 2 seconds before they bid. Such bidders usually bid once and they bid big. They are commonly serious collectors. When I was working I would be in the game. But with a tear in my throat I must swallow and restrain. Just too dear for me.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

OK, while we wait for the auction on this Lizzie book to be over.... a little history about the actual book.

The title of the book is one written by a well known state of Maine author, Sarah Orne Jewett. Jewett was a 19th century writer. Must admit my ignorance of her work. All I know was that she had a terrible carriage accident, later had a stoke, and died.

The book "A Native of Winby and other Tales", has two strong collecting points. One of course is that it was owed and signed by Lizzie. The second is it's binding, which makes the book very collectable to people such as myself who collect decorative bindings. The book cover was designed by Sarah Wyman Whitman. Whitman was famous for her work with stained-glass and book design. She designed many of Sarah Orne Jewett's titles. The two women were friends. Whitman was also friends with Celia Tahxter. Tahxter was a poet who lived on the Isle of Shoals off the Maine and New Hampshire coast. All three women were very interesting characters, strong woman, artistic, and appealing. I find Sarah Jewitt very alluring, in a 19th century style. Her photo is below.

Here is a site about Sarah Wyman Whitman. As with Margaret Armstrong, she was a prolific book designer.

http://bwht.org/sarah-wyman-whitman/

Thus one can appreciate the value behind this book by Jewett. Borden, Jewitt, and Whitman. Great collectable and one which could support and stand as a corner stone to any serious Borden collection.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

'
OK, here's some interesting information about Ms. Jewett.

http://hikethroughhistory.org/index.php ... and-street
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Finally, book covers by Sarah Wyman Whitman... (click to make BIG)

The 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 8th, 23rd, and 24th book covers are Sarah Orne Jewett titles.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

OK, one last post. (Yeah, right :roll: )

This is a stained glass window at Harvard Memorial Hall in Cambridge, Ma.

It is an example of Sarah Wyman Whitman's work. The gal who design the cover of the Lizzie item on eBay and in the post above. Whoa :!: :shock:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:!: Over :!:

Move aside Mr. Porter and Mr. Rebello. There's a new expensive and big ticket book in town.

The Jewett / Lizzie book sold of 1425.00 dollars.

Now, was that not fun :?: Or at the very least, interesting.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

To conclude.

The book has gone to a good home. Knowing the buyer I can safely assert that the signed Lizzie book will be well cared for and will reside in the best hands that exist to own her.

Congratulation Gentlemen. You deserved it.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

OK..... :shock: :shock: :arrow:

Here's a follow-up on the signed Lizzie book posted above and which sold for 1400 dollars.

It was scrutinized and closely examined, book in hand, and adjudicated as not real.

It is highly unlikely that it was actually signed by Lizzie. The signature shows signs or hints at being forged. The buyer was unhappy with the book and his money has been refunded.

The book was originally sold many years ago with connection to the Robert Dube, Maplecroft B&B. The certificate of authenticity issued with the book had the name of the individual who ran Dube's B&B and was considered Maplecorft's curator at the time.

It looked good to me. I was fooled.

It looked good to the buyer who was a very knowledgeable Borden collector, also.... until he examined the item in person and determined that he could not live with the doubts which the signature exhibited.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Another Lizzie Borden photograph.... supposedly.... for sale on eBay. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-LIZZIE-BO ... SwyKxaAIYd
InterestedReader

Post by InterestedReader »

That's a lovely little image though.

And we once found a Rembrandt in our mother's button box.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Interested Reader, :grin: :grin: :grin: that's funny :!:

But did you know that the Borden crime was solved in 1892. We have been reading the wrong papers. In this one, for sale on Ebay as we speak, Lizzie breaks down and confesses to the crime. Perhaps no one was present to listen. And since no one believed anything she said, they didn't believe she was telling the truth.

irrefutable proof that you can't believe everything you read in the papers.

Interesting item, no less.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Evening-Ma ... Swbc9amcXG
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I'm sure that the seller of this photo is just being funny, claiming that it's Lizzie Borden at her B&B. Still... he gives us little information about the picture itself. On eBay as we speak.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1900s- ... 1438.l2649
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

They just keep on coming. Some people are deranged. Everyone looks like Lizzie Borden.

This, of course, is Lizzie Borden as a baby. Not only that but the seller says the picture is haunted. It even comes with a COA. :silly: :alcohol: :silly: :alcohol: :silly:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTHENTIC-LIZZ ... SwLopao0L5

Oh yes, 2500 dollars :shock:
InterestedReader

It's the crucifix plonked protectively atop the 'haunted' wares which is just, the cherry on the top. "What brass neck..", is what we say in British. Do you use the same expression in the States? It means, 'brazen'. So anyhoodles, the Seller is a really good psychic with like, decades spent helping the police. Says so. :smile:
InterestedReader

What i do like about this one - its apparent antiquity. She's in clothing of the late 1860s & there's nothing about the interior or the photographic technique to really quarrel with that date. It's cheap for something so old.
mbhenty wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:43 pm I'm sure that the seller of this photo is just being funny, claiming that it's Lizzie Borden at her B&B. Still... he gives us little information about the picture itself. On eBay as we speak.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1900s- ... 1438.l2649
patsy

Post by patsy »

I like the frame on Lizzie's baby picture at least. Yeah her baby picture. Haaaa

Too bad there is doubt about the signature in the book. Would've been so cool. And how good that the buyer was refunded his money for sure.

I've never heard the phrase, Interested Reader, but could understand it in context I believe. I've heard "made of brass" and "brassy" which both could apply in a similar way.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:roll:

Yes, it is amazing.

I have stopped posting about them since there are so many.

Here's another one on eBay as we speak.

Of course the seller knows it's not Lizzie. He/she challenges you to decide for yourself. Still post begins with YOUNG LIZZIE BORDEN COLORIZED PHOTOGRAPH 1890's???

Amazing. And in some ways, amazingly funny.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YOUNG-LIZZIE-B ... Swkl9dZvXo

twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I also see the humor in some the things sellers attempt to sell as genuine Lizzie things, but it is just so sad when someone, somewhere, buys the fake stuff. :sad:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Here's a Porter for sale on eBay. An original Edwin Porter, 1st edition of The Fall River Tragedy. $865.00

This copy had some work done to it. It has been re-backed, (re-cased). That is when they rip back the worn cloth (usually the spine) and place new cloth underneath, and glue the damaged old cloth on top of the new cloth. Done right, and depending on how bad the original cloth was damaged, it can be hard to detect in photos. But this is an average copy in good condition.

This is one of two presently on the market.

:study:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

As with the Porter book in the post above.... which was just posted:

Below is an example of a book which has had it's spine "rebacked". Together with a site of how it's done. The secret is matching the color of the cloth. I have seen some books which were rebacked and unless you are aware of it one would not be able to tell... unless you inspected it closely. And in the photo of the Porter book above it looks like they were very successful.

https://libraries.mit.edu/news/spine-surgery/21614/
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Now :?:

What would you rather have?

A 2021 Mercedes CLA and enough gas money to carry you in it for almost Ten years......

Or this cabinet card of Lizzie Borden.... or NOT Lizzie Borden?

Some people are Jokesters or just whacked-out.

:alcohol:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... en&_sop=16
patsy

Post by patsy »

The Mercedes wins.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

The seller stated: She certainly was wealthy enough to travel at this time. Photo taken in Minneapolis Minnesota. Buyer decides. Everybody I have talk to you about this photo firmly convinced that it’s her. :shock:

This seller should have talked to some people who could tell him, he was LIED to! I think for $48,000.00, plus $8.85 shipping :shaking: , I'll go this the Mercedes, hands down!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:arrow:

Now, here's a cool jean jacket. Hand painted. Not sure if it's one of a kind. But it's a hoot :!: On Ebay as we speak.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Painted-L ... Swg~levYzi
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:-?

OK everyone. Get out your wallets. Once in a life time purchase... :alcohol: Fifty Grand.

On ebay as we speak: Click on to make BIGGGG :!:

Last edited by mbhenty on Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:shock: Oh look, another. Yep, Lizzie is everywhere. What deception... :alcohol: Another fifty grand.

Click on to make BIGGGG :!: :arrow:

Kat

Post by Kat »

Well, here we go again!...thanks, MB!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:shock:

I love how they are asking just about 50,000 for the photo and still charge you Ten dollars for shipping.

I checked the Fed Ex site, and mailing insurance on a 50 thousand dollar item is over five hundred dollars.

Why do people even waste their time. Like the Parallel Lives book below on ebay as we speak. They want just about four hundred dollars for it when you can still get a new copy from the Fall River Historical Society for fifty dollars.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

And there's also an Edwin Porter for sale on ebay as we speak. An original 1893 first edition in very nice condition, and better then most when they are offered for sale. And you know what old Frankie said about it in his book, Lizzie. And I quote:

*The Fall River Tragedy by Edwin H. Porter, printed privately in 1893, was the first book published about the murders. Only four copies are known to exist. A copy which was originally in the Library of Congress has vanished, one is kept at the State House in Boston, one is in the archives of the Fall River Historical Society and one is in my possession. Lizzie bought off the printer and had all the other copies destroyed before they reached the bookshops. Her reasons for doing so will be explored later. :-? :sad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303704251937?h ... SwiS9fbV5a

P.S. I just noticed that this book was posted on ebay a little over a year ago and is back on again. Also one of the photos in another post I placed was also for sale on ebay in the past. I purchased my copy of Porters book, in about the same condition for five hundred dollars at a book show on Cape Cod sometime in the eighties.
Kat

Post by Kat »

This is all very interesting! I need to go back over this thread and see what I missed in 8 years!😉
It's weird you bring up Porter, because just today I came across my library receipt, for their copy I purchased, for $28.88, with tax, many moons ago!📕
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:-?

For 28.88$.

That was for the 1985 King Phillip Publisher copy, right?

:study:
Kat

Post by Kat »

You've been in my house...you've looked at our books...you would have discovered an original anything, I'm very sure!😉
But yes I just checked, and it's the Flynn reproduction.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Ah, yes :!:

Every opportunity I have I tell this story.

Flynn was a shady character. One of my best friends, who was a book dealer, said as much. And I found out that he was right.

Now you may say, that's not a nice thing to say MB. And It's not. But he plucked my displeasure at a book Fair back in the 80s and it went up my kazoo.

Now in the book trade there are rules. Rules that speak to standards, principle, common ethics. But Flynn could not abide by them since profit and greed ruled his better judgement. And being a book dealer he knew better.

The Fall River Tragedy was a rare book indeed. Two basic designations in the book trade for books which are difficult to find is: rare and scarce. Scarce is a book that you may have some trouble finding but they're out there. Rare is a term used in the book trade for a book that comes onto the market perhaps once a year. Or once every ten or twenty years. Porter's book was such a volume. Having it reprinted was a brilliant idea and Flynn, being from Fall River and in the book trade, came up with it.

So he printed an exact copy with similar boards. Once it gets beat up it almost looks like an original. It was printed as a limited edition of 1000 copies. I purchased them as an investment since I already had an original. Inside Flynns copy it stated that it was: "limited to one thousand copies. It soon sold out. The following year or so I came across Flynn's booth at a book fair. And there it was, six or seven copies on his self. I asked him about it since I knew he had sold out, to which he said:

"Oh, that's not the same book."

I looked it over and it was exactly the same book. I said:

"Yes it is."

To which he replied:

"That's a second edition."

I said to him:

"What do you mean a second edition? It said right in the book that it was limited to just 1000 copies. "

to which he casually declared:

"I took that page out."

This of course instantly cheapened the limited edition copy since he published another thousand copies exactly the same.

And he had a right to publish again if that's what he wished. But with a different cover, print, or format. One which did not look like the limited edition copies. All he had to do was publish it in paperback. To say the least, it p'ssed me of, if I can be so rude. It just did.

The same was true with the Borden title: The Girl in the House of Hate. It was suppose to be limited to 750 copies. But they kept on printing them with somewhat different covers and colors. And every one of them says limited to 750 copies. Must be a Lizzie thing.

Below are a couple editions of The Girl in the House of Hate by Charles and Louise Samuels. I prefer the paperback edition. Great cover. And at least limited to the time period when it was published in 1953. Copies in fine condition are worth more than the limited. And that's not the way it suppose to work. But not uncommon.

Kat

Post by Kat »

I remembered you had a Flynn Story, but I didn't know it was that bad! Yikes! :shaking:

Looks like we were talking about this in 2006! Never hurts to be reminded, and updated, too!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1444
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, I know :cry:

I find myself telling the same story over and over.

Sometimes I know I am. Others I don't. Good friends usually just smile and pretend that they haven't heard it before. Better friends, perhaps, let me know and tell me to shut up. :roll:

Now, the cover of Samuel's book is interesting. Not certain what is happening. Subtle and subliminal messages get by me at times. But if you look closely you can see Lizzie is hiding something behind her back. And the shadow on the wall... is that her's or her sister standing in the shadows outside the picture. You can see the shadow is bent over, hunched. As if in regret. And the light on the wall with the shade just over her head. Makes it look like a party hat, or maybe a dunce hat. And look at Andrew. He looks like he weights three hundred pounds. What is the artist trying to convey?

Kat

Post by Kat »

When I went back into the past to read about your Flynn experience from the beginning, your opinion evolved as time went by; at first you were disillusioned but tolerant, giving the benefit of the doubt which is commendable, but then you got into discussion and found out it was worse than you thought, and not only that, yours and others experiences of frustration over the matter escalated as more was discovered during discussion, so it was very interesting to read the evolution of your's and other's opinions as more facts were revealed.
And I mean, over pages, and over time. I read the whole thing. And you were right.
So bringing it up again, I think, is a cautionary tale, a learning experience and a warning to others, and is relevant here, especially from a concerned long-time book collector, such as yourself.
📕👍🏼
Last edited by Kat on Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kat

Post by Kat »

mbhenty wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:37 am Now, the cover of Samuel's book is interesting. Not certain what is happening. Subtle and subliminal messages get by me at times. But if you look closely you can see Lizzie is hiding something behind her back. And the shadow on the wall... is that her's or her sister standing in the shadows outside the picture. You can see the shadow is bent over, hunched. As if in regret. And the light on the wall with the shade just over her head. Makes it look like a party hat, or maybe a dunce hat. And look at Andrew. He looks like he weights three hundred pounds. What is the artist trying to convey?
I remember this cover. To me it always looked like Mr Borden was mad at his daughter and was going upstairs to beat her, like he has a stick in his hand, and she is hiding a weapon of self-defense because she is going to stand her ground, this time, and not give one inch.
I know, weird, right? But once that image gets in my head it's hard to get it out. The title helps, too.
:roll:
I never noticed the shadow before!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Kat :smile:

There's a subtle and understated message to that shadow on the wall on the cover of The Girl in the House of Death. Not certain what the designer is trying to say. But the lamp shade on the wall coming to rest on the shadow's head looks very intentional. And there's Lizzie's hidden hand which is a very obvious hint to Lizzie sleuths.

I can appreciate clever book covers. That was my objective when I designed the first edition cover for Lizzie Borden, The Girl with the Pansy Pin.. Though there is not much thought behind it. But you can see the shadow of the pin as an axe behind the pin.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

mbhenty wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:10 am “…There's a subtle and understated message to that shadow on the wall on the cover of The Girl in the House of Death. Not certain what the designer is trying to say. But the lamp shade on the wall coming to rest on the shadow's head looks very intentional….
—partial quote, mbhenty

mbhenty, what do you see as the symbolic significance of the lampshade on the shadow’s head? It does look intentional; I agree. I did quite like the subtlety of the shadow on your first cover of the book, by the way.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

My last two Ebay Lizzie-related purchases were The Murders at Smutty Nose, just arrived, and the three-volume copy of the trial, put out by Harry, Kat, and Stefani, still on the way. I wanted to have a physical copy to mark in. I’ve found many affordable copies of Lizzie books there, over the years.
Last edited by Reasonwhy on Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's cool! 😎Once you read Smutty Nose you will want to go there to see for yourself!
I don't have that 3 vol Trial. I still have 6 binders...
I do have the Prelim book, tho! That's my favorite.👍🏼
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes:

Always wanted to sail up to Smutty Nose. It's about a three day sail from Swansea where I keep my boat. One must also choose your weather. I was hoping to visit there on my sail back from Nova Scotia a couple of years ago, but Stefani was feeling sick and we just sailed straight for home instead.

Yes Reasonwhy:

I suppose we all can take something away in the realm of hidden messages when they appear on a book cover.

For me, I see the reflection of Lizzie on the wall, hunched over as a display of contrition or guilt and wearing a dunce hat as an exhibition of culpability. Where by the actual image of the woman offers us a spectacle of determination and standing her ground, while ready to dish out some depraved justice.

Then again it could represent Emma in the shadows. In a chunky image—showing her own guilt for knowing what is about to happen and not doing anything about it.

Then again..... :?: :roll:
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Oh, I like your hunched-over Lizzie feeling guilt and contrition…nice interpretation, mbhenty…showing the duality of Lizzie.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh, I can see it now, mb!
Yes, the personable, public "Lizzie" on the stair, but the crooked and warped "Lizzie" as the shadow: the way she really is inside herself...hmmm...it's actually a pretty scary cover.
Even if the story wasn't about Lizzie Borden, that cover statement is that soon there will be violence done. :-|
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:cool:

Some interesting items being sold on Ebay in the name of Her Majesty, Lizzie Borden as we speak:

Lizzie Borden action figure. Actions we all want to emulate.

A collage of Lizzie Borden material which has noting to do with Lizzie Borden.

A Scented candle. Paste the face of Lizzie on it and you can sell anything.

A signed script for the "terrible" Lizzie Borden movie. Could be worth it :?: :roll: :-?

And a painting of Lizzie Borden and her clock, looking nothing like Lizzie, but what the heck... if you can sell Lizzie candles :?:

.https://www.ebay.com/itm/194873795724?h ... SwOKhiGSWG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165305070270?h ... SwUGVh88fs

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... n&_sacat=0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393918637911?h ... Sw7mRiAToU
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »