Last Issues of Len Rebello's Lizzie Borden Past & Presen

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

Last Issues of Len Rebello's Lizzie Borden Past & Presen

Post by Kat »

By selling these remaining copies directly, the author will reap all the money- no one gets a cut this way!

Get one while they last! Original Price!

Pippi

Post by Pippi »

I've been dying to buy that book but due to the price haven't been able to muster it yet, are there still new copies available for the $50 price or am I out of luck?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for asking and reviving interest in the book.
There are a little over 100 copies left as far as I know.
You can write to Len directly. He's very accessible.
He will autograph it also. When he's at the Borden house, signing, he will autograph it in whatever room you ask.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Pippi...GET THE REBELLO ! You will NOT regret it. It is worth a zillion times more than it's asking price.

AND...welcome to the forum.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Mark A.

Post by Mark A. »

I second that Tracy. That Rebello book is worth 3 times the amount he's asking.
Mark A.
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

thank you all :) I do want it I assure you...desperately want it LOL. Money is just a bit tight right now... any speculations on whether or not I can wait till x mas or if I'll be doomed by then?? (not quite sure just how popular all this is)
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

Hi Pippi, if it is anything like the "Knowlton Papers"
I'd say it would be a good investment for you to buy
it now for the 50 bucks. I bought the Knowlton book back in 1992 for I think $25 and now I see on
ebay it going for over 300, if you can even find one
on ebay. I bought Rebello a year ago through the Fall River Historical Society for the $50
and was not disappointed, wonderful index and reference. Once they are gone, watch the price go
up on Ebay!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Len now has one fewer of these left. Lori bought me a copy for Christmas and it arrived today! :santa:

But, I can't see it for another four weeks!!!

Can you imagine having "Rebello" in the house and not being able to even peek at it? AAAAAAAAHHH!

Four weeks. . .
Kat

Post by Kat »

The Knowlton Papers was published by the FRHS in 1994. The new price has always been the same while in stock: $49.95 plus $3.50 s/h. "Available September, 1994."
(LBQ, Summer, 1994 ad with "Advance Order Form.")

The full citation is:
Commonwealth of Massachusetts VS. Lizzie A. Borden; The Knowlton Papers, 1892-1893. Eds. Michael Martins and Dennis A. Binette. Fall River, MA: Fall River Historical Society, 1994.

Stefani once found it used for $20 in New York City, last year I think.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Pippi @ Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:02 pm wrote:thank you all :) I do want it I assure you...desperately want it LOL. Money is just a bit tight right now... any speculations on whether or not I can wait till x mas or if I'll be doomed by then?? (not quite sure just how popular all this is)
Len just told me he was selling more books from the website- so maybe someone else is getting one for Christmas!
He has been invited to the B&B for signings and asked to "bring more books!"
I'd speculate he might have under 100 copies left- I make sure to ask him every chance I get.

Good luck!
If you can get a copy you would never regret it. :smile:
Asking for it for Christmas is a really good idea! :santa:
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

ok I'm freaking out about loosing the chance to get this book...

I can't find the contact info for Rebello someone help?? Congrads FairhavenGuy :)
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Just look at Kat's post above where she put the graphic advertising the book.
It contains all the information you need to order the book.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh please don't freak! I didn't mean to pressure anyone- I was "speculating."

Here is the info:
Leonard Rebello
203 Jones Street
Fall River, Mass. 02720

49.95 & 6.50 shipping

Ask him to autograph it! :santa:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Nancie, I wanted to ask you if you got your Knowlton new or used?
I'm thinking that since you were at the 1992 Conference, that might be when the making of the book was discussed?
I bet you got a lot of unusual and now-hard-to-find- articles there?
Do you recall what you picked up there?
Thanks!
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

Yes Kat, I bought Knowlton new when it came out, i think I ordered it
from the LBQ. I remember a long table at the conference full of books to
buy and I went crazy (my poor credit card). Other than the program guides
and handouts at various events, i just picked up a few lizzie keepsakes
like the notepaper, fan, the commemorative stamp cancellation. In hindsight, of course I wish I had gathered more goodies!
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

Yes Kat, I bought Knowlton new when it came out, i think I ordered it
from the LBQ. I remember a long table at the conference full of books to
buy and I went crazy (my poor credit card). Other than the program guides
and handouts at various events, i just picked up a few lizzie keepsakes
like the notepaper, fan, the commemorative stamp cancellation. In hindsight, of course I wish I had gathered more goodies!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks.
I'm also wondering about original newspapers?
I think you once tried to explain to me what you had- did you also acquire original 1892-1893 newspapers, or facsimile/copies of some?
And Yankee Magazines that have Lizzie stories in it?
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

sorry about double-posting. I had ordered (through
FRHS) the "Fall River Daily Globe" 1892-a trek into
New England's past" reproduced & distributed by
Landlord & Tenant 675-9717. I wonder if you can still get the copies from FRHS? Also over the years
I've collected Yankee mags/NY times mag, anything
with Lizzie stories. I'd be happy to send you copies
if you are looking for something specific I might have?
jamfaws

Post by jamfaws »

I was so glad i got a copy of Rebello (actually from ABE from a seller in Australla at a really cheap price-sorry Mr Rebello)but that was ages ago and now I have it I couldn't live without it, looks like you should grab the chance to own it now, as after the final lot go the price i'm sure will go much higher.
I wish i'd got the Knowlton papers, but didn't realise it existed until I got on the internet in 1998 (how this has changed things) I really hope that The Knowlton Papers book gets reprinted, I only have 12 Lizzie books, which are:
01. Lizzie Borden The Untold Story-Edward Radin (1961)
02. A Private Disgrace: Lizzie Borden by Daylight-Victoria Lincoln (1967)
03. Lizzie Borden A Dance Of Death-Agnes De Mille (1967)
04. Goodbye Lizzie Borden-Robert Sullivan (1974)
05. Lizzie-Frank Spiering (1984)
06. Lizzie Borden-Elizabeth Engstrom (1991)
07. Lizzie Borden The Legend, The Truth, The Final Chapter-Arnold R Brown (1991)
08. Forty Whacks-David Kent (1992)
09. Lizzie Borden Source Book-David Kent/Robert A Flynn (1992)
10. A Treasury Of Victorian Murder The Borden Tragedy-Rick Geary (1997)
11. Lizzie Borden Past and Present (1999)
12. Lizzie Didn’t Do It!-William Masterton (2000)

as well as the Edmund Pearson book which was in a crime collection book and stuff i've printed out from the site.
Apart from the Knowlton Papers and my list above can anyone tell me what Lizzie books are a must have, with info that isn't available anywhere else?
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

you have a nice collection Jam, keep looking for the
Knowlton book, it comes up once in a while on Ebay. Be prepared to spend almost 300 for it though! Kat says she got it in NYC for 20 bucks, HA
good luck!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for the offer!

Actually, because Stef likes to travel, whenever she is in a big city she always is hitting a bookstore so last year she found The Knowlton Papers in NYC for $20. It was so cheap she gifted it to a good friend! :smile:
That's one copy after years of checking!

I bought a defective copy from the FRHS which just happened to be donated recently, at regular price- it had a few blank pages in the Glossary section. That's after calling the FRHS often to check, the year before last. I gave that one to Stefani for her own as a Christmas gift, as we had one of the pre-ordered copies like Nancie, which we had owned in common.

I think you did give me a copy of a Yankee Magazine article last year, Nancie, which was very interesting! The story of the wandering handy-man?
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

I thought of this thread today while at my library,
they have books as you walk in, on sale cheap. I
found one for my collection of the 20's writers for just two dollars. I guess you just have to keep your
antenna up and be at the right place at the right time.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I thought of a book you might get, Aaron:

Books
New Publications

Lizzie Borden Casebook
Joyce Williams (ed.)
Item Number: 113

A Casebook of Family and Crime in the 1890's. Readers are invited to explore the records of the case and draw their own conclusions. A museum shop bestseller! Paper, 1980, 6" x 9", 232 pages.

$10.95

http://www.lizzieborden.org/details.asp?ID=36

FRHS website
This is an interesting study of the times and includes newspaper transcriptions.
It's a good price and they still have them in stock.

Anyone want to comment on this book?
jamfaws

Post by jamfaws »

Thanks Kat, the book is on my list of wants and i've put it to the top! it looks interesting, just re-reading A Private Disgrace at the moment-Aaron
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

I ordered it last night in the weeee hours through the B&B website since I could do it by CC. I'd like to think this means I've got one... my own REBELLO (eek the sound of that is so sweet) but I will be stalking the bank to make sure the money is debited...when it is, I will know I have indeed gotten my hands on... A REBELLO :dramaitic flop:

Cross your fingers PLEASE...I finally scraped the pennies together...well...convinced mr. penny pincher to front the money for me...I hope in enough time!! Thanks for all the help!!!
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Pippi.....

I am certain they would have updated their web store to indicate the book was not in stock.

The book is wonderful. It is a dream to have and I love thumbing through it, reading a page at random while sitting at my kitchen table drinking my morning pot(s) of coffee...
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Hmm .....Pop Tarts with Len & Lizzie? :shock: Been there, done that!! :lol:
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

If Audrey is eating Pop Tarts, there is yet another thing we mustn't tell her mother. . .
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Audrey doe NOT eat toaster pastries...

MON DIEU!

I generally have toasted bread (homemade) and a boiled egg.

There is a wonderful bakery in a small town about 10 miles from my house that I do sometimes sneak to and get some wonderful breakfast pizza they make. With these windmill men in town I have stopped going as they buy it all up and have noticed and have had the nerve to comment to me about the nightgown on under my long coat...
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm the one who eats (chocolate) Pop Tarts sometimes!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Shame on you Douglas!
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Only sometimes, Auds!! :lol:

I actually prefer toasted day old (home made) bread smeared with maple creme. :wink:
jamfaws

Post by jamfaws »

hmmm home made bread and boild eggs! (hope the yokes nice and soft) Audrey yer welcome to come visit London anytime if you make bread. (Ain't had pop tarts in years-that I know of!!!)
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

Audrey, what are the "windmill men"...just
curious!
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

They are these milk fed Mormon men from Utah here to build windmills for the local power concern. They call me "maam" and make motions they think I cant see behind my back.....

Whenever I see one of them I leap to attention like a gun dog scenting game......
Kat

Post by Kat »

If the B&B runs out, they ask Len to "Bring More Books!"
Did you ask them if he will sign it?
Did they reply to your e-mail?
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

Audrey, I'll start a topic in TEA, I'm interested
in windmills and the Mormons as others might be as
well. PIPPI congrates on getting Rebello, you won't
be disappointed!
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

They haven't replied yet. It said the book would be signed by author...it did say that $ wouldn't be debit'd from my account until the book shipped so I'm now stalking my bank records on line waiting for "proof". I know I'm a bit dramatic about the whole thing but it is after all....the REBELLO!

I can't wait for this book...being interested in Lizzie/Lizbeth outside the murders as well as wanting to see everything in one place!
Kat

Post by Kat »

"The Rebello!"

:smile:

The Rebello is a very fine fellow
I'd start a poem but it would be forced and trite.
He is very knowledgeable on the case and other aspects of Fall River, being a native, and he kindly shares his time and information and unique understanding of all these complicated issues with anyone willing to learn.
He admires curiosity in a person, and the ability to keep an open mind, always seeking, always questioning.
He has spents hours and hours with me on the phone and hours and wonderful hours with me and Stefani and now Harry, driving us around Fall River, Westport, Swansea, Providence.
We always go to eat. And we drive. He asks "Sarah Cornell?" and we all yell "Sarah Cornell!" and he takes us by her death spot. He asks "Bertha Manchester?" and we all declaim "Bertha Manchester!" and he takes us to her death spot. And he loves to tell stories and he loves to laugh, at us, at himself, at life in it's absurdity.

You are more right than you know- when you say "The Rebello!"
He is a very fine fellow.
:santa:
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Kat, you are SO RIGHT about Mr. R ! He one of THE most kind and gracious peple I have ever met. He is so willing to share his knowledge without expecting you to believe as he does. I felt very comfortable expressing my thoughts and opinions on the case with him. He's a gem !

Tracy...
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

Kat @ Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:33 pm wrote:"The Rebello!"

:smile:

The Rebello is a very fine fellow
I'd start a poem but it would be forced and trite.
:roll: I've come very close to writing haiku on the subject (the book/author or both) When I am blessed with a copy of the past & present book I prob. will break out in poem unable to control myself! I've read articles and excerpts of the book on this and other sites and he is quoted so elegantly, "according to Rebello page..." "imagine a Rebello in the house and not being able to look at it..." yes, the articles I have read that have peaked my curiosity, and such quotes have left me.....dramatic, yes I am dramatic, too dramatic for my own good... my blog is overflowing with drama surrounding this book:
" This books is a bible, it's referred to like a piece art, "a Da Vinci" "a Picasso" "a REBELLO". ahhh A REBELLO I WANT A REBELLO!!! arm outstretched like the italian olive oil girl being ripped away from her lover after a torrid affair in the garden. "

(comparing the love of a rare book to a love affair in Italy, some might say that is strange) No, I have no desires for Mr. Rebello in a romantic way, however if I was ever blessed to be driven about on a tour with stories etc. I would be in heaven...I would be in the presence of a great artist, that art being words and books!!! Kat, you have made me wish I was home in New England!!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

The soon-to-be-mine "Rebello" in our house has been wrapped and is in my wife's sweater chest. All I saw was a Priority Mail box moving quickly from the front hall to the bedroom. I'm not really one to peek at gifts ahead of time. . . and I'm not going to now. . . but it is tough.

By the way, my wife is, in fact, a Rebello, although no relation to Len. Because she was editor of Fairhaven's weekly newspaper at the time we were married, she continued to write under the name Lori Rebello until our daughter was born and she left that job. Now she's just a Richard. . .
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

FairhavenGuy @ Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:29 pm wrote:The soon-to-be-mine "Rebello" in our house has been wrapped and is in my wife's sweater chest. All I saw was a Priority Mail box moving quickly from the front hall to the bedroom. I'm not really one to peek at gifts ahead of time. . . and I'm not going to now. . . but it is tough.

By the way, my wife is, in fact, a Rebello, although no relation to Len. Because she was editor of Fairhaven's weekly newspaper at the time we were married, she continued to write under the name Lori Rebello until our daughter was born and she left that job. Now she's just a Richard. . .
You look like such an honest person! Thayne peeks too and I caught him red handed this year looking in the cupboard over the washing machine (A cupboard he has not entered since we moved into this house). When I made my presence known he jumped 2 feet... Not snooping my foot...

I am legally Vivienne Audree La-Paix-Martin. I have always used my middle name. (I Americanized the spelling out of sheer frustration)

Thayne is the only person who has ever called me by my "real" first name besides my parents. He calls me "Vivs" or "Auds" or.... Nope. I am not going to tell you!
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

It could be too that Chris is just playing it safe and smart, not wishing among other things to become entangled in a 21st century doggerel.... :wink:
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

:shock: It's here! My Rebello is HERE!!! :lol:
ok, I wrote this in a split moment, tacky I know, still I had to share...

*ode to a book*
waiting like a dog at the door
for the lizzie book I adore
now in my hands the box contains
everything Borden but their remains
LOOK AT THE BOX! I think I'll savor
the address label affixed with flavor
"Lizzie Borden B&B"
Victorian in all it's glee!!
I don't dare open the box, spy the book inside
I thought I'd never get one I almost cried!
Sitting here anxious awaiting my fate
to first spy the book and start our first date
Mr. Rebello you put this together
I don't think anyone could have done it better
Quoted often, a bible source book
I'm intimidated to take a look!
When I open the box will the book gleam and glow?
how do we know Lizzie didn't do it with a hoe?

:oops: I still haven't opened the box!!! Oh the excitement!!!
thanks for putting up with me :wink:
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

CONGRATS PIPPI ! I know what you are feeling ! I had the exact same feelings when I FINALLY got my Knowlton Papers. I was afraid to open the box except for far enough to see that it was indeed the elusive book I had been searching and searching for. It's so much fun to get a new Lizzie book !

Tracy...
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Great poem!

I still have to wait 12 days. . .
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Mary Lori returned it at someone's advice due to snooping and replaced it with a hickory switch....
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

I did not snoop. Here's how I know.

1. Lori asked me if I wanted "Rebello" for Christmas and then asked me to get Len's address off the forum, here.

2. On a day when the mail arrived after I was home from work, Lori and Emily came from the front hall with a rectangular Priority Mail box. Lori was telling Emily it was one of Daddy's presents. There was no secret about what it was.

3. Two days later, Lori announced that all the gifts she'd bought so far were wrapped.

4. Emily mentioned that Mommy hides her presents in her sweater chest.

Hence: "Rebello" is in the house, wrapped up and in Lori's sweater chest.

Eleven days to go. . .

By the way, at the age of four-and-a-half, Emily has a 100% perfect record as far as keeping secrets. She has never told anyone ahead of time what they are going to get.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

That's one of the best examples of deductive reasoning I've ever seen!! :lol:

(Kudos to Emily for being so helpful.) :wink: