Lizzie Borden Past & Present

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

Lizzie Borden Past & Present

Post by Kat »

Leonard Rebello has about 30 copies of his famous book left for sale, as of this date.
Better get them while you can! :smile:
(Ad by Stefani)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Personally, I think Len should hang onto to those last thirty and put them on eBay one at a time in a couple of years. Folks are already making big money selling used copies. He should benefit, too.

And Len, hold onto a few in case somebody really important approaches asking you for a copy. You know, like, "Hi, Mr. Rebello, I'm Bridget Sullivan's great, great grand-daughter. Do you have any copies of your book left?"
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Too bad there isn't a Lizzie 'exhibit' at the Smithsonian.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
john

Post by john »

choke!
john

Post by john »

Just personally I think it's bad money to make it off of someone's misfortune. People think of Lizzie as some kind of cutie now, and her old house as an attraction, but in spite of being rich, she was junk when she was alive, and her house was junk too. I'm not criticizing anyone for entraproneurship, just saying there is good money and there is bad money, and I have always felt sorry for Andrew and Abby as opposed to most who just centered on Lizzie. So Lizzie lives on, but in my heart so do Andrew and Abby, and I had an argument with my boss once because of my heart - I let people stay at a motel that I managed for reduced rates because they were stuck in a snowstorm and the boss was mad. Well, the boss hadn't even plowed the parking lot to get them out, so duh!
But I wouldn't take bad money then and I would never take it now. That is what "taboo" means.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

From what I know about Mr. Rebello, and from conversations with him, I just don't see his book as an idea to just make money. I see it as a way to get the best possible and most information out to those of us who want it. I just do not see his intentions as to make money off of someone's misfortune(john).

As far as a Lizzie exhibit at the Smithsonian, I do mean of the whole Borden case, not just Lizzie herself. This was one of the, if not the first 'nationally' followed cases. IMO, it does have some sort of place in the annals of American history.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Kat

Post by Kat »

john @ Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:20 pm wrote:Just personally I think it's bad money to make it off of someone's misfortune. People think of Lizzie as some kind of cutie now, and her old house as an attraction, but in spite of being rich, she was junk when she was alive, and her house was junk too. I'm not criticizing anyone for entraproneurship, just saying there is good money and there is bad money, and I have always felt sorry for Andrew and Abby as opposed to most who just centered on Lizzie. So Lizzie lives on, but in my heart so do Andrew and Abby, and I had an argument with my boss once because of my heart - I let people stay at a motel that I managed for reduced rates because they were stuck in a snowstorm and the boss was mad. Well, the boss hadn't even plowed the parking lot to get them out, so duh!
But I wouldn't take bad money then and I would never take it now. That is what "taboo" means.
Zodiac:
3.10% of total
The time here is: 9:25 pm
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject:  No Jive
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enough joking. I know the key to what happened, and know where the information is to get the rest, and for $ 15,000 cash I will get the required information and you can have your ownly name on the book. I will help you to write the book.
_____
john
Zodiac:
3.10% of total
The time here is: 9:25 pm
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject:  
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why would someone be banned for an amazing offer? There are people on here why know a lot about this particular crime, and could write a book. I'll give them some information, and some look-up stuff, and there will be a conclusive book.
I'll even throw in a never before discovered clue to the Jack The Ripper Murders which blows Patricia Cornwell's theory to hades, and a never before discovered link on the Lindbergh kidnapping.
But, as my uncle Saul used to say, "get the money."
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

The only "blood money" in the Borden case is, in my opinion, the inheritance that Lizzie and Emma inherited from Andrew (but, that is IF either one of them were the perpetrator of the crimes).
I don't know Mr. Rebello, and don't know what his occupation is. But he certainly deserves the monetary compensation he receives from selling his marvellous book. He certainly did an incredible job in researching and compiling it. He saves us all a lot of work. In my opinion, he's earned every nickel!
Kat

Post by Kat »

I think he has barely broken even.
He likes to teach and he likes to share.
Harry

Post by Harry »

What an insult to Len Rebello, a gentleman and a gentle-man.

If he wanted to make money off of the crimes his book would have a half-naked Lizzie with hatchet in hand on the cover and be filled with untruths designed to sell books.

Instead he puts out an over 600 page volume of just plain facts, sources and an occasional anecdote. If you are a true Bordenite it's the best money you'll ever spend.

Does he sell it on E-Bay where it will command a price far beyond what he asks? No. He sells them one by one, each one autographed for the same price that the book was issued at. Oh yeah, he's real greedy.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

A labor of love seldom pays great monetary dividends, which, unfortunately are the only ones some people can fathom.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Audrey @ Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:21 pm wrote:A labor of love seldom pays great monetary dividends, which, unfortunately are the only ones some people can fathom.

So true. So very true!

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
Ad

Post by Ad »

I received a copy of Len Rebello’s book for Christmas, and I can tell you that I would have paid double the price for a book of this caliber. The book is invaluable!!

I for one hope that Mr. Rebello has made some money for all of his work, if for no other reason than to help fund his next (hint-hint) venture.

It’s so refreshing to read a collection of information that is without bias and without hidden agendas.

Revenge is best served cold John; so it’s comforting to know that as the calendar moves on, your incoherent babble will fade away as Len Rebello’s work takes its rightful place in the libraries and collections of serious Borden sleuths.

Bravo Mr. Rebello, bravo!!! Audrey is right. It is a labour of love……….and it shows.
augusta

Post by augusta »

"Past & Present" is the best Borden book to date, I think. I have a great amount of respect for the book and for its author. He could have charged a lot more for this masterpiece, but he gave it a fair price. As for what he wants to do with any last copies, it's his choice and whatever he does is okay with me. I would think he didn't make much from the book, and if that is the case, I would be happy to hear he made a pretty penny from these last copies.

What I object to are these people who sell books they did not write and probably never read for a small fortune, when the books are still out there at a reasonable price. They prey on Bordenites. They are the vultures.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Has everyone voted for their favorite Borden books
in the poll on The Hatchet Online page?

http://www.hatchetonline.com/HatchetOnline/index.htm

Rebello is running 1st in popularity, and Fairhaven Guy, Brown is running 2nd.
augusta

Post by augusta »

I guess you can vote for your favorite three. I'm surprised that Brown is second. I wonder why that is.
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

That is a shock, isn't it?