REWARD NOTICE FOR SALE

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Ad

REWARD NOTICE FOR SALE

Post by Ad »

Anybody else see the framed reward notice on EBay?
item number 6602868693
The seller wants $100.00 for it. Any comments anyone?
Susan

Post by Susan »

I saw it, Al. I thought it was a neat item, but, not knowing much about ephemera and pricing, don't know if that is too high a price or just right for an item like that? :roll:
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Since it is clipped from a newspaper, I think that it is awfully overpriced. If it were a printed poster or broadside, then it would be a steal.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Pretty neat idea. Cutting up the newspaper and selling it in pieces. The browning of the paper is pretty substantial which would indicate the paper itself to be quite fragile.

Reminds me of the 1895 Fall River city maps which occasionally appeared on e-bay. They too were in pieces and sold at quite high prices. The maps showed the house numbers on the streets. That is important as the city of Fall River (and all of Massachusetts) had a complete renumbering of houses in 1896.

How many noticed that Emma's middle initial is wrong? It's L not J. It was printed incorrectly in the newspapers at that time.

Here's the URL for the item:

http://tinyurl.com/949a7
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Susan

Post by Susan »

Good eyes, Harry, I hadn't noticed the misprint. Made me wonder how long that reward post ran for, one day or did it run for awhile? And, if for awhile, was that misprint corrected? That might make that clipping worth more? :roll:
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Kat

Post by Kat »

In The Sourcebook, there is a *notice* of a reward notice, as upcoming, from The New York Times, which says:
"The following advertisement will appear in to-night's local papers:
$5,000 REWARD
The above reward will be paid to anyone who may secure the arrest and conviction of the person or persons who occasioned the death of Andrew J. Borden and his wife.
Emma J. Borden
Lizzie J. Borden."

It's not presented like an ad- it's all in text format, like *news.*

Pg. 13, Aug. 5th.

I think that reward ran for a while, interminttently. Don't know yet if the middle initial(s) was/were corrected.

What if Lizzie had been found guilty? Who would have gotten the reward, upon "conviction?"
Allen

Post by Allen »

I have a copy made from the microfilm archive of the New York Times for August 6, 1892. I think the practice of printing the story the day after it was actually written often leads people to believe that was the day it appeared in the newspaper if the actual heading with the date of the paper is not available. It was published August 6, 1892, but the actual article starts out with:

Fall River Mass. Aug. 5 - After a most thorough etc..

This is the headline:

Large Reward Offered

Steady Search Into the Mys-
terious Borden Murder.

Police Keep The Closest Watch on
the House and On Suspected
Relatives- Mr. Borden's Wealth
- Public Excitement Is Still On
The Increase
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Kat

Post by Kat »

That certainly can be true about dated or non-dated papers.
That's a good point.
However, The NYTimes says this will appear in "tonight's local papers."
The text of the article in the Sourcebook , dated at the beginning of the story as "FALL RIVER, Mass., Aug. 5-" goes on to specify "...the funeral will take place tomorrow..."
making it a local story, published on the 5th, and it's my understanding the reward notice did show in the local papers on Friday, the 5th.
I guess the NYTimes published it later, or did they just do a story on it?
Allen

Post by Allen »

Kat @ Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:38 pm wrote:In The Sourcebook, there is a *notice* of a reward notice, as upcoming, from The New York Times, which says:
"The following advertisement will appear in to-night's local papers:
$5,000 REWARD
The above reward will be paid to anyone who may secure the arrest and conviction of the person or persons who occasioned the death of Andrew J. Borden and his wife.
Emma J. Borden
Lizzie J. Borden."

It's not presented like an ad- it's all in text format, like *news.*

Pg. 13, Aug. 5th.

I think that reward ran for a while, interminttently. Don't know yet if the middle initial(s) was/were corrected.

What if Lizzie had been found guilty? Who would have gotten the reward, upon "conviction?"
I was referring to when the Times article was actually published, which was the 6th and not the 5th. It was listed in your earlier post as being published on August 5, 1892 and found on page 13 of the Sourcebook. I can look through my newpaper copies and see if the reward offer was actually posted in The Times in subsequent issues tomorrow. I've read so many newspaper articles it's hard to keep straight what I've read where sometimes.

When I read your post I took it to mean it was the 'local' papers which were 'local' to New York such as The New York Times itself since the Fall River newspapers aren't mentioned, only The New York Times. That's why I went back to read my copy.

What I find interesting is that the news coverage continues on past what is listed in the Sourcebook in the actual article. I have noticed that to be true with many of the articles listed in the Sourcebook. Some of them seem to have been edited. But I'm going off topic. Here is a scan of the copy I have, sorry to if I caused any confusion.

(edit: Adding it an it as an attachment also. I had to crop it because the file was too big. It's still really big when you click on it.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Kat

Post by Kat »

My clarification about the NYTimes is only that what was published locally in Fall River on the 5th (reward notification) was taken and re-published in the NYTimes on whatever date.

I knew I had seen it somewhere and I finally found it.
We can see that a text version was published in Fall River on the 5th, "Evening Edition," (as the NYTimes transcribed) and then an actual *AD* was published locally in Fall River on the 6th. The *AD* resembles the e-bay item.
I wrote on it in pencil so that it could not be (potentially) reproduced, sepia-ed and glued to a board and sold. :smile:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DannyD

Post by DannyD »

The Reward section came out on Aug. 6. I have the original scrapbook that was used to write the first three chapters of Robert A. Flynn "Sourcebook". David Kent and Flynn changed quit a bit in the Sourcebook. They also left out some of the articles. If you guys ever have any questions about the newspaper articles, just ask.
Strangers in the morning, friends by afternoon.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Welcome DannyD.

You must have then what is called the "Emery papers" or at least a portion of them. How cool!

Unfortunately the Sourcebook leaves out a lot of sources. :sad: Many articles are not identified as from which newspaper they are from and a lot do not have dates.

I traced many of them by comparing them to different sources and by matching the headlines was able to pin them down.

In many cases when I compared the Sourcebook article to the actual newspaper article (such as in the Boston Globe or NY Times) the Sourcebook did not list the entire article.

Your profile lists you as being from Shreveport. Isn't that where Kent lived?
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Its very confusing knowing which article is which. David Kent had them put together very nicely. He had each labeled above every clipping. David was from Shreveport, he died about a month before the book "Fortywhacks" was published in 1992. There are articles in the scrapbook that are not in the "Sourcebook. Everything is pretty much labeled.
Strangers in the morning, friends by afternoon.