Postcard on EBay

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

Postcard on EBay

Post by Harry »

There is a marvelous postcard on EBay mailed from a family living at 130 Rock St in 1909. I don't know if the photo of the street is indeed Rock St. or if it is even Fall River but it is an interesting card. Bidding is on the HIGH side, starting at $75.00.

http://tinyurl.com/c9jxf

This is the photo on the face of the card. Note the house on the right and its similarity to 92 Second St. Maybe Lizzie had it moved to "the Hill". :wink:

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Kat

Post by Kat »

That looks like the CCC in the background, doesn't it?

I Googled to find the address and found these cool pics by someone named "Harry." Not our Harry tho.
THe main link is:

http://gallery.pipechat.org/gallery/OHS2005
(There are Fairhaven pics here too)

CCC pics are:

http://gallery.pipechat.org/gallery/OHS ... 689_resize

http://gallery.pipechat.org/gallery/OHS ... 684_resize

http://gallery.pipechat.org/gallery/OHS2005/DSC01692_1

http://gallery.pipechat.org/gallery/OHS ... 695_resize
Harry

Post by Harry »

Kat @ Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:29 am wrote:That looks like the CCC in the background, doesn't it?
I'm more than inclined to think that it is. I looked at postcards I have of Rock St. and there is nothing in this one to say it is not Rock St. The vine covered steeple in this photo certainly agrees with similar views of the CCC. Also the board/shutters in the bell tower agree with the ones in the CCC. Wish we could see the top of the steeple.

Several postcards also show two similar houses beside the church but they are not large enough nor clear enough to show detail.

The current 130 Rock St. as shown on the City of Fall River property site shows a very similar house still there. Greatly modified and improved but still recognizable. And the house next to it is also similar.

The 130 Rock St. is the address of the sender. If it is the house in the postcard, how interesting that they would have a postcard made of their house.
Kat

Post by Kat »

From that time period, we have a few family pictures which were made at the time into postcards. No one ever sent them, they are black and white, and one is of our grandmother as a young child, sitting on the porch steps.
I don't know why they did that- maybe card stock was sturdier?
We have a few like that. It's strange to turn over an old family photo and find a postcard format on the back!
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Perhaps they were less expensive to purchase from the photographer than a standard studio sitting. I''l bet that people had a few taken, sent one and kept the other.
The only photo I have of my grandparents together is a RPPC. It was taken about 1905.
Kat

Post by Kat »

What is an "RPPC," Stuart?
Elizabelle

Post by Elizabelle »

What a splendid photograph.

That house looks almost EXACTLY like the Borden's home.

I wish I could wear clothes like the women in the photo. Supposing if I did...do you think people would look at me funny? :wink:
LIZZIE BORDEN'S THEME SONG
(to the tune of Green Acres)

Fall River is the place to be,
city living is the life for me.
Bought a nicer house,
so big and wide!
Forget 92 Second Street,
that's where I was charged with homicide!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

I think RPPC might be "Real Photo Post Card," Meaning the card is an actual photographic print, not mass printed by lithography.

It was pretty standard back then to have one's photos printed on Post Card stock. They did it at all places where one could have photos developed. Folks still do it today to make Christmas cards with pictures of their families on them.

Another thing that was done more recently--as in my own childhood-- was having a roll of film printed as a mini album. The photos had rectangular holes running up the left side and were bound with those plastic ring binder strips. Remember those?
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

The post card that Harry pictured above is a RPPC. They are highly sought after by collectors because of their rarity. That's why the eBay seller has started it at such a high price (although I think a little too high). I have one of a Fall River house, too, and probably from the same time. It's not as interesting a photo, and the address is not given.
If I can find it, I will post it to see if anyone can identify it.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, that is the Israel Buffinton house at 130 Rock Street, Fall River. It's a real estate office today, and of course like many old homes in the city, no mind paid to it's historical decor. It has been vinyl sided and windows removed and smaller ones installed.

Directly after it is the old #3 Fire house. It now sports a front porch between the building itself and the sidewalk. Last I knew it was a Smoke shop.......and of course the old church which is now a Culinary School and restaurant.
Years back when the church had been unoccupied there was much talk about razing the structure, and if no one came forward to save it, city fathers would not think twice about wiping it clean and placing a parking lot there. :shock: :sad:
Harry

Post by Harry »

Thanks for the info folks. I had not known that people made their own postcards from photos. Must have been absent from school that day! :grin: It's one of the advantages of this forum. You not only get the opinions of others but learn as well.

Welcome mbhenty. I see from your profile that you are a Fall Riverite. You get a double welcome for that. As I said that house is shown on the City's property values site with the changes you mentioned. Do you know if Israel Buffinton was any relation to Addie Churchill (nee Buffinton)?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Thanks greatly for the Welcome Harry....

I know very little to nothing about Isreal Buffinton. Can't find anything about him in my personal library.

In Henry Fenner's book, "History of Fall River" compiled for the cotton centennial 1911, there is an entry for a I. Buffinton and Sons, a small cotton mill est. 1838. (Pg. 59) Not sure who he was, or if there was any connection between this I. Buffinton and Isreal of 130 Rock Street. The house on Rock street was built in 1850. (A Guide Book to Fall River's National Register Properties, authored by Pat Giza in 1984, Pg.116)

The Buffinton(s) I am aware of were in city politics. The first and second Mayors of Fall River I beleive were Buffintons. There was a D & D Buffinton, also cotton mill, in the mid 1800's but not sure weather all these Buffintons had any relation to each other without further research.

It is a very desirable Post card, but weather it is worth 75 dollars only time will tell. Maybe 25 or even 35, but seventy five is a very high opening bid. What gives worth to this card is that I have never seen it before. I have a small collection of 500 cards and in my travels over 20 years I have never seen this scene before, thus the value. Photo post cards always command more than printed ones. When I was collecting the most valuable Fall River Cards was a set of 16 depicting interior scenes of the Textile Mills. I purchased a set about 15 years ago and paid 350 dollars for them. In need of cash I sold them on ebay last year for 350 dollars.

When it comes to collectables, weather it be Post Cards, Books, or even historical real estate, we are just conservators, care takers of history and time. In our deep apprectiation for these things, we borrow them only to pass them onto future generations, thus the more they learn about us the more they will understand themselves.

Nice post Harry. Enjoyed it.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, once again if anyone is interested. On ebay............

There's a ledger of sorts, with Lizzie, Emma, and a host of other Borden and Fall River signatures on it. Not sure if it is some sort of Bank ledger?

Looks authentic. 2000 dollars starting price, buy it now for 2500. This is the second or third time around for this item, and if I'm not mistaken, I think for a lot more......(see if we just wait.....) item# 6616174419

I dare say, if it was Lizzie's signature in a book, he would have a better chance of unloading it. But one would think that there would be loads of these ephemeral documents floating around with her name on it. If so, I haven't seen many/any? So, what do you say, any bidders? :smile:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Think I'm becoming the Ebay Police.

There's another photo card of a young Fall River Lady. Ebay ad reads: Victorian Women, Lizzie Borden Relative?Fall. At least he hint's on the possibility and makes no claim. item # 6264719462

Also, The Fall River Tragedy, is back on, still at 200/with reserve. You need to check it out. They have added more photos, with the book being held open with an AX. Cool/creative. :smile: item # 7016591070
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

THEEBMONIQUE

Thank you so much for the Assistance with the ebay posts. Have not figured out how to post it correctly yet.

Also trying to figure out how to put the toilet paper roll on the thingy holder on the wall :roll:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks Tracy!
They are only selling the Page now, not the ledger.
It will be out-of-context but I don't know if that matters. :?:
Kat

Post by Kat »

The photo is interesting because it does seem to show a sort of resemblance- as we read there were *Lizzie Types* in Fall River. The wide cheekbone area especially.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Kat:

The big bucks that dealer is asking for the ledger page, to a collector, does make a difference. Probably why he is selling it for less.

But a real collector would want the entire book. Its like selling a fine collectable without the box. And if you watch that Antique Road Show you know that the box is sometimes more expensive than the collectable.

What is he going to do if this page does not sell, cut the page up and sell each of the names individually. See how it goes?? I would want the ledger intacked. Even if there is nothing of value to the remainder of the ledger.

If you have a Ray Bradbury signiture on a page out of his book it is probably worth 10 to 20 dollars. The book may be worth 15 dollars. Put the two back together as they should be, Ah!!! Now you have a 100 dollar collectable. You don't pull the feathers off the chicken and sell it naked; takes away from the chicken. Ok, sorry, bad analogy. :roll:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Well we knew they were going to start removing the pages. It wasn't up to us to tell them not to.
They want to make their profit, after all this time.
Personally, some of us think the Andrew Borden signature is really worthwhile. But I don't know if we were believed or if they persued that.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

mb...when you are on the eBay site...just copy and the address/url at the top of the page of the item you are looking at...then paste it into the post you are writing. Most of the time, it works very well.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Thanks Tracy, very kind, I will try it.

You would think I could figure something like that out?

I remember once I was trying to teach myself to sew. It took me 3 days to figure out that there was such a thing as a bobbin under the little door below the needle, to figure, Huh? :oops:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

ROCK STREET AT 130. AS TO HARRY'S POST ABOVE.
TAKEN 4-13-06 4:04 P.M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Allen

Post by Allen »

That is really cool! I saved both pictures to my computer for a comparison. Thanks for the picture Michael. :smile:
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Susan

Post by Susan »

That is so neat! Thank you, Michael. Its nice to see despite some changes that the houses still stand. :grin:
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Kat

Post by Kat »

That is cool!
I can't tell tho- does the new picture have 3 steps down or 2 from the front door?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Kat:

There are two steps. I did not walk up to the building, so do not remember if the steps are the Originals. But there are 2 steps plus the landing, that is to say, if you walk out through the door over the threshold you are standing on the landing, then there are 2 steps down, then you are standing on the sidewalk.

I am sure there were windows in the attic that were blocked over. You can not see that far up in the original photo posted by Harry, but most similar buildings had them. Also if you notice the ugly vinyl siding. The front door was replaced. The lower windows were made smaller. And, oh yes, the people are dead. :sad:
Kat

Post by Kat »

I couldn't tell how many steps. The steps could confirm the house as the same.
The old picture shows a step, a step, and a landing and then the front door is a step up again.