Radin

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

augusta

Radin

Post by augusta »

Today there is a copy of Radin's book on Lizzie Borden on Amazon, being sold by a private individual (or book store). They are asking $100 for it. The seller says it is a 1st edition.

First edition or not, it's another ripoff attempt. Radin's book is all over the place. I have a first edition hardcover that I got on eBay for $20, and that was a little high. Seek and ye shall find. :smile:

It's one of my favorite books - even tho I don't agree with his theory of the suspect. But I hope no one in our group shells out a hundred bucks for this. It will only end up hurting all Bordenites in the end. Try other sources out there and wait till the price is a fair one.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Thanks AUGUSTA, for the heads up on the Radin Book.

It is also one of my favorites. Probably because it was one of the first books I read on the Lizzie case. I always found it to be an easy read and a very good indroduction to the case, and that's if you ignore his theory of course.

But $100 dollars makes no sense, but it does not surprise me that some scrupulous dealer has put it out there. When I first began to collect books in my ignorance I purchased many rip offs such as this, till I found a collector/dealer that took me under his wing and warned me about such dealers. It's like fishing for them, who knows, you may get a bite. At times they do.

Edward Radins, "The Untold Story," in the antiqurian book world is a 15 to 25 dollar book, with 20 to 22 dollars being a fair asking price in good to very good condition.

If you look under book dealer listings on "abe.com," you will find 38 copies, in hardback, paperback, 1st, 2nd, etc editions, and including British Editions. You should be able to find a nice 1st edition copy for around 25 dollars, in very good condition with a very good dust jacket. If it is a reading copy that you are interested in, then a much cheaper copy can be had.

Being a collector, I would want to find the best condition copy I can find. Sometimes that dictates paying a little more. But copies on abe.com can be readily found for 15 to 20 dollars, and as you said, no one should pay much more for a decent copy.

On the other hand there is a copy listed for 5.50 in Poor condition. I would also avoid the other extreme in price and conditiion. It is a very sort after title and you may want to turn yours over on the market someday. Poor copies of any title are difficult to sell. :smile:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh we'd drive you crazy! Stefani and I have "annotated" most of our books and LBQ's. :batman:
Who knows- our commentary may be *collectable* someday!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Hey KAT:
If I may pick your brain, and perhaps others on the forum. For several years now I have been trying to locate a copy of Walter Satterthwait's book "Miss Lizzie," in German.

Satterthwait's book was published in Germany in 1995 in hardcover and in 1996 in paperback.

I have written a couple of dealers in Germany, but I have not received any response, probably because I can't read German and the dealer can't read English. Though I cannot figure out why they would advertise on an English site if they don't plan to respond in English.

Not sure if you are familiar with this German copy, but it has a great cover, and the cover art is the reason of my interest. You can see a copy on the ABE. If you never seen one check it out. Great cover Art. Cartoonish, and very humorous.

I have the American and English first editions and would love to get my hands on a German copy hardcover and softcover.
Harry

Post by Harry »

There are numerous copies avaialble on Bookfinder. com, both in hard and soft cover.

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl ... 61_2:20:87

There is also this web site offering the book in paperback in German for $11.80 (or 9.90 Euros). The price includes shipping.

http://tinyurl.com/k6alf
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Thanks for the response HARRY:

The problem I was having was having the German dealers respond to me, and was hope'n to find one here in the USA. Many times the same dealers are on duplicate book sites. Thus, the reason I usually stay with ABE site, which may be foolish.

But, thanks for the response, greatly appreciated and I will browse them tonight. Cheers.