The Lizzie or the other Lizzie?

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

DWilly

The Lizzie or the other Lizzie?

Post by DWilly »

Have you guys seen that chopped off wax head going for a $100 over on e-bay? Is that suppose to be the Lizzie Borden or is it suppose to be the film maker Lizzie Borden? Because to me it doesn't look at all like Lizzie from Fall Rivers.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I have seen it...and I do not think it looks like our gal from Fall River either.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Looks nothing like Lizzie.

But, I like the Lizzie Borden gumball machine sculpture on ebay. On for the second time around with no bids the first time. I would bid on it if it was local and I could pick it up, but not at 1000 pounds via the post?; stick it in the garden???NO?

Sort of an odd piece, made in a sphere with all hammer, ax, pick, and sledge heads, etc. welded together. Weird, but something cool about it.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

The wax head on ebay is supposed to be our Lizzie. I was curious. I thought the same thing, that it might be another lizzie that has the same name, so I asked the seller. The answer was exactly as follows.

"This is a wax head of lizzie borden who was accused of murdering her family with the ax."
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Here's another Lizzie signature for sale. Stefani posted about it on Mondo but you can find it on ebay or just click below. 400 bucks. Not only is it not Lizzie's signature, it's not even Lizzie. Ha ha ha haha!!!!!!

http://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Too funny. That's Abby Borden.

Tracy...
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I emailed the seller. Hopefully a response will come soon.

Item: Lizzie A. Borden Autograph Display 8x10 (290063307941)
This message was sent while the listing was active.

Hello,
Maybe you were not aware, but the picture with the autograph you are selling is not that of Lizzie Borden, but of her step-mother Abby Borden. Please feel free to check with www.lizzieandrewborden.com

Thanks,
Tracy

Tracy...
Allen

Post by Allen »

I see they have an item there called The Lizzie Borden Game available there also. That could be interesting. Anyone know anything about it?
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

It is an 80 page book according to the eBay description.
http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Lizzie-Borden-G ... 0063002649

Here's the Amazon descriptio (is described as 76 pages here):
http://www.amazon.com/Lizzie-Borden-Deb ... F8&s=books

Tracy...
Harry

Post by Harry »

I'd be wary about this seller. His recent feedback is pretty bad. Also why are the shipping charges so high, almost as much as the item itself?
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Allen

Post by Allen »

theebmonique @ Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:56 pm wrote:It is an 80 page book according to the eBay description.
http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Lizzie-Borden-G ... 0063002649

Here's the Amazon descriptio (is described as 76 pages here):
http://www.amazon.com/Lizzie-Borden-Deb ... F8&s=books

Tracy...
Thanks for the information Tracy. :smile:
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Looks like Lizzie's signature, though, maybe at an earlier age, before her verticals became so out of proportion.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I am not so sure that it is Lizzie's signature. I have never seen a Lizzie signature with the letter "A" written that way. Provenance is half of proof in purchasing such items while faith is the remaining half.

Anyone's signature transcribed on a separate plain piece of paper just does not cut it for me. When collecting any autographs I insist it be connected to some item such as a book, check, letter, autograph booklet, etc.

For a clue on Lizzie's hand, check the sight below. What do you think? :scratch:

http://www.frpd.org/lizzie/lizziewill.htm
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Michael: If you look in Radin's book, you will see an example of Lizzie's making the "A" in the other, rounded way. (It's in the chapter on the forged confession.)
I agree with you 100%--I can't stand the idea of owning a signature that has been sliced out of a book or letter. Sacrilege! It used to drive me crazy to see "professional" book dealers slicing up old magazines because they could make more money by cutting a Maxfield Parrish print out and framing it than leaving it the magazine. I like things to be in their original context.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Stuart, I see what you mean. (Edward Radin page 263) I found 8 Lizzie signatures on that page. One does have the "A" written the same way as the "A" on ebay. It is also of note to mention that along with that signature the "B" is different from most of the others. And again it is the only one where she signs the word "Miss". (Miss L. A. Borden)

I remember sitting at a book auction with my friend Don, who used to own a book store in Newport, when a large folio picture book came up for auction, probably 1880s and full of large steel engravings. Don leans over to me and says, "All That is Missing From That Bidder is a Black Hood Over Her Head." When I asked him what he meant he said that he knew the bidder and that she dealt in prints and could make 3 to 4 times the worth of the book by chopping it up.
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Very sad, but funny!
I don't have any problem with items that are damaged or falling apart being cut up. Just good, "healthy" books and magazines.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Here is still another Lizzie signature. This one for over 4000 dollars with a poem written on the same sheet of paper. What do we think? Nhhaaaa!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lizzie-Borden-Autog ... dZViewItem
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Looks to me like Lawrence A. Borden, or Loretta A. Borden might have signed that autograph book, but certainly NOT our Lizzie!