USS Lizzie Borden sails to the North Pole - Not!

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

USS Lizzie Borden sails to the North Pole - Not!

Post by Harry »

There is a book listed under the Lizzie Borden items titled "Bird Life at the Pole". The book, a parody, makes reference to a ship the "USS Lizzie Borden". I love how the ship traveled "south" till it reached the pole.

http://tinyurl.com/f8bao

For a second there I thought I found a book that combined one of my other interests (Polar exploration) with our lady from Fall River. Alas, it's just a parody. :cry:

Well, she did have sealskin coats!
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Hi HARRY. Thanks for the post. Satire at it's best for someone such as me, who collects arctic and Lizzie.

My main field of collecting is Arctic, North Pole, South Pole, Northwest Passage, explorers such as, Nansen, Shackleton, Peary, Scott, Parry, Ross, and so on. Can't collect any big money items, and have not done so in years. Also, books I could find back in the 80's for 2 and 3 hundred dollars are now selling well into the 4 figures. Wish I could play with the big boys and fill my shelfs with the 5 figure ($) items.

Thats great that you love Polar exploration. I have been very short of money since I lost my job, so I just sold Admiral Byrds Polar gloves and Boots which he had with him on his trek to the South pole. I had purchased these in the 80's. A piece of History passed thru my hands, but alas, at times it is eat or sell.

But, think I will starve before I sell my Polar books.

Like the lizzie mystery, there was also a big controversy and doubts whether Robert Peary (and Frederick Cook) ever made it to the pole. I think that Peary lied. Out of that expedition and all Peary's atempts on the pole Mathew Henson, his black servant that accompanied him, is the true hero of that saga.

Very interesting that we have the same interest in polar Harry, Great discovery. :grin: :cool:
Harry

Post by Harry »

Hey fellow Polar man! Read most of the main books over the years. Actually I like all 19th century exploration. Source of the Nile, interior of Australia, etc.

It's hard not to appreciate these men who at great risk, and sometimes death, who challenged the unknown. It was an age that lacked communication and these expeditions would be gone several years without anyone knowing what was happening to them. Some we may never know such as the Franklin expedition.

One of my favorites is Andree, who in the late 1880s attempted to reach the North pole via balloon. And of course the tragic fate of Scott.

I also do not believe Peary or Cook (especially Cook) made it. Peary's facts just don't add up and Cook was a bit of a charlatan.

Wow, that's something that you had some of Byrd's equipment. True collectors items. At least you got the chance to handle them.

Speaking of Byrd I assume you know that his dog "Igloo" is buried in the same cemetery as Lizzie's dogs.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find