Do you own an original Porter?

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Do you own an original 1893 Porter?

Yes
19%
No
77%
No, but I have held one in my hands
3%

Total votes: 31

Stefani

Post by Stefani »

I am taking an informal poll. You don't have to say out loud by posting your reply and providing your name, but you can if you want to. Just take the poll. No one will know who you are. The poll is anonymous.

Do you own an original 1893 Porter. I have my reasons for asking (research for a Hatchet article).

Thanks!

Stefani
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, I have had my original Edwin Porter for over 20 years. And since I have a slight resemblance to the character on the cover of MAD magazine, and cannot brag about my looks, allow me to brag that mine is probably one of the best condition Porter's in existance.

(perhaps I can sell it and have surgery....................Naaaaah!)
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Yes. I bought mine about thirty years ago in my favorite Antique/used book store (Lyrical Ballad) here in Saratoga Springs. The binding was in tatters and it was held together with a rubber band. So it cost me all of $1.50! I have since had it rebound.
Victoria Lincoln was right about it conjuring up Lizzie's world of old Fall River!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Wow STUARTWSA:

What a great story.....Happy to hear it. Is your copy the one with blood on it?
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Sorry mbhenty, but no blood on my copy. And unfortunately no bookplate or any other indication to whom it might have originally belonged.
Alfred E. Neuman, huh? I'll think of you every time I peruse through my collection of vintage Mad magazines. ;-)
augusta

Post by augusta »

Is there a Porter with blood on it?

A rubber band was holding your Porter together, Stuart? That was funny. A buck and a half is NOT funny - it's fantastic! How much did the re-binding cost, in case I'm ever in a situation like that? Did you like the job they did?

Gee, I'll have to look at the recent Hatchet's contributors photos again, mb. Alfred E. Neumann, huh?
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Mine is not an original but I was thrilled with the price.... Free!

Theebmonique sent it to me as a lovely surprise!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Your so funny augusta, I had to think about it a while sorting out whether you were serious..............., no, there is no such copy of Porter's book with blood on it. Just my dull attempt at a joke.

When I was a Lad there was this one character I pal'd around with who loved making fun of me. I had large ears, always smiled, similar hair to the Neumann character, so he would call me Neumann..... Again my post was just another dull attempt at a joke, sadly to my expense.

Augusta, please don't post me and tell me that the resemblance is remarkable, I will cry.... :sad:

Yes, to have a book such as Porter's rebound can cost anywhere between 50 to 200 dollars, as an average, depending how much work is to be done. (Replacement of cloth, recasing, new boards, New end pages, paste downs, laying down the old cloth over new, sew signatures, etc.) And if they need to try matching cloth of special color or marbled free end pages, it could cost much more. But a book such as Porter's is worth it.
If you check out my copy of Murder at Smutty Nose in the hatchet you will see that I had it rebound. The true 1st edition,(only edition) was published with plain blue cloth. I had the boards, cloth and entire cover replaced, 20 years ago. It cost me 100 dollars then. That was 100 dollars for a 25 dollar book. Ya gota luv books.............I could have purchased a copy in very good condition for 25 dollars. But you must understand. The book was very hard to find and quite scarce then. Today with the internet you can plug into hundreds of dealers and stores and find multiple copies. Still..................my copy is prettier and now one of a kind :cool: . :lol: :lol:
augusta

Post by augusta »

I found my Pearson's 'Smuttynose' book at King's Used & Rare Books (or 'Rare & Used Books') in person in Detroit. It wasn't all that much - $10 or $20, something like that.

mb: I thought you were serious about the blood on Porter's book. Bad! Bad! :twisted:

I liked the story of your re-binding Pearson. I never met a person who really loved books as you. In your article in the current 'Hatchet', you referred to one as a 'new baby', I believe. I said the same thing in an article I did in the LBQ. I think it was in "Pursuing the Proceedings".

Have you read Betty Smith's "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn". (My carpet salesman last year was a big, burly Vietnam vet, and he had read it!)
Francie so loved books. Remember how she was reading her way thru all the books in the library alphabetically? Well, if you didn't read it you wouldn't remember it ... I totally related to that, to the feelings behind it.

I was reading Doug Walter's really nice article in 'The Hatchet' , and I forgot to look at your picture. I scanned thru them when I got the magazine and I know I didn't see anyone who looked like Alfred E. (By the way, I love MAD Magazine. I don't buy very many nowadays, but I used to. When I was first married, I came home with a new MAD Magazine. And Steve looks at me (remember, he's an engineer - they do have a different mindset) and says, "What's THAT?" with distaste in his voice. Like 'how juvenile'. I set it down and he picks it up. Not only did he read the whole issue, but we'd wrestle to be the first one to read successive new ones.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

I had an old book rebound quite some time ago and the price was lower than I expected it to be.

There are books I would pay $1000 to have rebound.... It is a matter of how treasured the book is to the person with the checkbook!

There is absolutely nothing like the smell and the feel of a wonderful new book-- especially when the content is daer to you!

When I wish to keep to a book forever I always buy a harcover copy.
william

Post by william »

Audrey:
For anyone who has valuable books, or books they treasure, I recommend a Mylar cover. For a couple of dollars you can preserve the integrity of the binding/jacket for a long, long time.
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-FALL-RIVER-TRAG ... dZViewItem

Do you suppose they ripped apart a first edition Porter to create this?

ONLY GO TO THE LINK IF YOU WANT TO HURT YOUR EYES! The red it horrible!

Oh, and you can get this book for free from my site here:
http://lizzieandrewborden.com/Resources ... dBooks.htm
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Here's one on eBay (I hope this works):

http://cgi.ebay.com/1ST-ED-FALL-RIVER-T ... dZViewItem
To do is to be. ~Socrates
To be is to do. ~Kant
Do be do be do. ~Sinatra
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Stefani @ Tue May 23, 2006 4:22 pm wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-FALL-RIVER-TRAG ... dZViewItem

Do you suppose they ripped apart a first edition Porter to create this?

ONLY GO TO THE LINK IF YOU WANT TO HURT YOUR EYES! The red it horrible!

Oh, and you can get this book for free from my site here:
I downloaded and printed the book from Stef's site before receiving it from Tracy in hardcover format.

We often forget the vast resources she has made available to us here at no cost!

Stef... Have you ever won any awards for this site?
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Augusta, I think I paid somewhere between $20 and $40 to have it rebound. I was relatively pleased with the job. The only reason I say "relatively" is because the new cover is just a basic, non-fancy green cloth. But then I realized that the original was definitely not fancy, either.
I think if I were doing it today (instead of thirty years ago) I would have left it "as found."
william

Post by william »

Stefani.

I contacted the seller and he assured me the book was not taken apart to produce the CD.

He told me each page was carefully scanned, then cropped. He sounded sincere..
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

As everyone is quite aware, offers such as the one displayed on Mondo below, and advertised on ABE are rare-----------but I would have reservations on the restoration of the "Porter" posted since it should be green cloth and it looks like they used blue cloth?

Go to Mondo and check out Stefani's post along with the interesting declarations made by the Book Dealer!

Just found this on Abebooks.com. Only $1350 bucks!

The Fall River Tragedy - A History of the Borden Murders
Edwin H. Porter
Bookseller: Don Mc Nichol
(Brewster, MA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 1350.00
Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 3.00
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

mbhenty @ Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:00 am wrote::smile:

As everyone is quite aware, offers such as the one displayed on Mondo below, and advertised on ABE are rare-----------but I would have reservations on the restoration of the "Porter" posted since it should be green cloth and it looks like they used blue cloth?

Go to Mondo and check out Stefani's post along with the interesting declarations made by the Book Dealer!

Edwin H. Porter
US$ 3.00
Holy cow!!! I don't have one and it looks like I will never have one! But sure wish I did!!!
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I voted no. I have never even seen one. Didn't Lizzie buy up those and had them destroyed? Weren't they recently re-published? :-?

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Steve, everyone has their idea of what happened to Porter's publication at the time it was released. That there was an interruption in distribution I think can be no doubt-------the most popular being that Lizzie purchased them all up.

I don't think that she did but due to the shortage of the title today it is a valid reflection that something happened to stop procurement of the book in 1893.

Some believe that a deal was struck, that Lizzie and her attorney arrived upon an agreement between Porter and the publisher. But yes, I believe something stopped the distribution of that publication even though quite a few were sold or found their way onto the market.

Yes Shakiboo, that is what the market is dictating for an original Porter. That is why Ebay can be a good source for Porter finds at a Bargain, or the very least, a reasonable price. But, if you see a dealer with a copy on hand for sale today, it will wear a tag between 800 and 1500 dollars. It is a rare book indeed... :smile:
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

I guess checking it out at the Library isn't going to be possible either! Sure would like to at least be able to read it!
Harry

Post by Harry »

Pam, you can read it for free at our Virtual Library at:

The late Terence Duniho transcribed Porter. I did Pearson's 1937 Trial of L.B., and Stefani did the Lundy and Phillips books.

You can download them all for free in PDF and read them at your leisure. If you got plenty of ink you can print them out.

Enjoy
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

Oh thanks Harry!! I didn't know that! Oh that's great! I love this forum!!! Now where did I put my reading glasses!!!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Oh, I see now...........I'm a book collector you see, my interest is in owning the book not reading it. Who has the time. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Harry

Post by Harry »

I don't put much credence in the story that Lizzie attempted to buy up all the copies of "Tragedy". There is this on page 359, Rebello:

"Edwin Porter Served Notice by Andrew J. Jennings

Edwin H. Porter, a reporter for the Fall River Daily Globe, published his book, The Fall River Tragedy, in 1893 and was sold by subscription. The subscription copy, bound like the original, included 48 pages of the book, a photograph of Andrew J. Borden, and order form listing the names of subscribers. (Fall River Historical Society Archives) Victoria Lincoln, in A Private Disgrace (1967), wrote, "Lizzie bought off the printer, a local, and the books were destroyed before they hit the shop." It had been rumored Lizzie bought all the books and burned them.
It is known, that Lizzie, through her attorney, made an attempt to cease publication of Porter's book if it was published before the trial, contained any false statements and photographs she did not want published. Local newspapers, except the Fall River Daily Globe, reported on January 31, 1893, that Edwin H. Porter, George H. Buffinton and John D. Munroe had been served with a formal notice by Lizzie's attorney, Andrew J. Jennings. Jennings objected to the use of any pictures of Lizzie Borden, Emma Borden, John V. Morse, Andrew J. Borden or himself. It was thought by Jennings that Porter's book was to be published before the trial and would prejudice his client's case.
"You are therefore hereby notified that you will be held directly accountable for all statements published in such book or pamphlet, and for any false statements or colorful description you will be promptly prosecuted; and you are also hereby forbidden to publish or print any likeness or pretended likeness in any form, or to reproduce any photograph or portrait of said Andrew J. Borden or of said Lizzie A. Borden or of Emma L. Borden, of John V. Morse, of myself or any attorney connected with the defense, and that in case of any such publication an injunction will be promptly applied for, and such other legal proceedings taken as may be deemed expedient."
The notice was sent to Porter, Buffinton and Munroe by Deputy Sheriff Samuel Hadfield.
Curiously, Abby D. Borden's name did not appear on the list of photographs. According to the Fall River Daily Herald, Mr. Porter met with Att. Jennings on Monday and explained to him that his book would not be published until after Lizzie's trial. The photographs were not used in the book. ..."

The Munroe mentioned was the local printer of the book, Buffington the publisher. G. H. Buffington was also the manager of the Fall River Globe the same newspaper Porter was a reporter for.

I don't think the book sold well because of it's price (I believe $1.50?) and that the public by that time had had it's fill of the Borden case.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Great post Harry. As you have proven there was probably more going on behind the scenes, legal happenings, than we will ever discover. Perhaps the reason no big publisher took the story for a book was as you say, the public had had their fill.
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

what, then happend to all the books? shouldn't there be more around somewhere?
Harry

Post by Harry »

The book may not be as rare as some imagine. One of the foremost authorities on Bordenia, Neilson Caplain, in talking of his personal library wrote in the January 1997 Lizzie Borden Quarterly:

"... The library includes an original of the Porter book, The Fall River Tragedy. Many writers have reported that Lizzie bought up the entire issue. Victoria Lincoln said that she had to wait forty years before she saw her first copy at the Library of Congress.
Nevertheless, it is now conceded that there are many copies around; I last heard that at least fifty are estimated to exist. ..."

However, I am no expert on the subject. I believe our William also wrote an article on the subject but I can't locate it at this writing.

I can't see how Lizzie buying up all the copies would stop it. All that would do would be to guarantee sales. What's to stop the printing of more to sell to the general public?

I don't think that books that are rushed into print after an event tend to do very well sales-wise. I usually see them is the heavily discounted section in Barnes & Noble.

EDIT HERE: I just located William's fine article "Porter's The Fall River Tragedy - How rare?". It appeared in the October 1997 LBQ. One part reads:

"... Mr. Robert A. Flynn, publisher and well-known collector of Lizzie memorabilia, believes the printer made an initial run of 500 or so copies of the original edition. After experiencing a lukewarm reception from the general public, it was decided to discontinue publication. Flynn believes no more than 100 copies are extant.
A popular tale making the rounds tells of Lizzie buying and burning all but 25 subscription copies No evidence to support this theory has ever surfaced. ..."

It is a well written article and even lists the known owners that were able to be traced.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, I too have done an extensive search for Porter's book for almost 25 years. I wrote about it in The Hatchet, Vol. 3 number 2. I did an extensive search for a decent copy of Porter's book for almost 4 to 5 years before coming across mine in 1985. You can see a photo of my copy of Edwin Porter's The Fall River Tragedy in the issue of The Hatchet mentioned above.

For 20 years after that, I continued to search for copies of The Fall River Tragedy finding some here and there at auctions in Fall River, the Web, on book sites, book shows, dealer catalogues, ebay and bookshops, not to mention several dealers who delved in Lizzie Borden. Though not always on the hunt my search has been constant and my only regret is that I did not keep a log of all the copies I have come across in my study.

Though I do not consider myself an authority on how many copies of Porter's book are out there, after many years of searching, I have always believed that the number was close to 50. I would dare say it could be close to 100 but would bet the count to be closer to 50 or 75. It is not as rare as we all believed it to be at one time, but still, I would consider it more than a scarce book and in my opinion ranks as exceptionally rare in any condition above "very good." Proof of that are the 3 or 4 copies that have been advertised for bid/sale on ebay the past 2 years or so---none in better condition than Fair-plus. Or the copy that was displayed on Mondo yesterday with multiple repairs including new cover cloth for 1350.00 dollars.

FINE------almost new, clean crisp, little wear, short of mint or new though, shows very little or minimal wear or use. The older the title the more that is forgiven or accepted in describing it as Fine.

VERY GOOD/PLUS-------- almost Fine but may have one or two faults, fading, small dings, etc.

VERY GOOD------ showing some normal wear, marks, blemishes, but still nice and very presentable copy. May have a faded spine, a chip or two to the head or foot of the spine etc., but book is straight, tight and relatively clean.

GOOD/PLUS-------again almost very good but not quite, multiple defects, soiling, rips, starting to exhibit every day wear, etc.

GOOD-------- sometimes good/plus starting to show heavy wear but book still together, marks, soiling, may be cocked, ripped page, written in and starting to show heavy use. To me, "No Good."

FAIR/POOR/READING COPY------- Book probably has too many issues to be saved. Covers may be coming off, pages out, missing illustrations, heavily soiled or just falling apart, still readable.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>It has been my experience that most Copies of Porter's book are found in "Fair/Poor" condition.
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Michael: has anyone paid attention to where all of the original copies of Porter were found? I'm curious as to whether the majority of them were found in the Fall River area, or whether the scope was wider than that. It would be interesting to know just how far the books have traveled in the 100+ years since they were published.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes stuartwsa if only we knew for sure. Most copies, if not all, were probably sold in the Fall River area when first published since it was a tiny publishing firm. But that would only be my guess. But today I believe very few have remained in Fall River and the greater majority of those in existence have been scattered all over the country.

Once a book becomes collectable the hunt begins. For instance, I use to help a dealer from Newport R.I. with his display at book-shows. Dealers will tell you that up to one third of their business at the show is done before the doors even open as dealers roam the floor buying and selling from other dealers. We spoke to a dealer who was packing up and closing his booth early since he claimed he sold most of his good stuff before the show even started and had made his money.

At some of these shows are dealers from all over the country, and if we are talking about book shows in the big cities, from all over the world. As they buy from one another books such as Porter's may change hands between a Providence R.I. dealer, who purchased it from a bookstore in Fall River, and sold at a show to a dealer from L.A. Once a book becomes collectable it's travel begins and continues without end. Over 113 years Porter's book can be deemed a season traveler changing hands many many times as it goes between collectors and dealer and collector anywhere in the country.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

In Leonard Rebello's book "Lizzie Borden Past and Present" He cites that there are 36 verified copies and 42 reported copies. The majority of these were probably copies in Public Institutions such as Libraries or Universities.

There's an excellent comprehensive study in an article from "The Lizzie Borden Quarterly" dated 1997 October which deals with just how rare Porter's book may be. It is from this source, I would guess, that the count above was arrived.

The Author, William Schley-Ulrich does an excellent job in his research which also proves to be a fascinating read, if not an eye opener, to how many copies of Porter's little green book are out there. If all the Libraries in the article do indeed still have their copies as they claim, whether they actually pulled them off the shelf or inspected them to make sure it was not Flynn's copy, then the real count of what actually exists would go over 100 copies-----------again, my opinion.

I believe there may be at least 50 to 75 copies circulating out in the public sector, it may be 100. (no one knows, nor do I pretend to.) Let us say that it is 72 copies-------add that to the believed 42 copies that exist in public institutions and that would set the number around 114 copies. So it is safe to say there are over 100 copies around or is it more like 152. I'm afraid that we will never know and your opinion on the actual count may indeed be more accurate than mine.

One thing is for sure. The book did not hold up well and the worst paper imaginable was used in its publications. It is safe to say many simply fell apart and most did not survive the ages. There very well could have been 500 copies printed as Robert Flynn claimed, but then again this comes from a publisher who published Porter's book in a count "limited to 1000 copies" then printed extra copies when the limited edition ran out after tearing out the "limited edition" page. Thus a new question could be asked: how many of Flynn's Porter is really out there?

:scratch: :?:
william

Post by william »

Prior to the publcation of my article on Porter's book in 1997, I spent more than a year and a half in research. Literally hundreds of letters were dispatched to various individuals and institutions all over the United States in an effort to discover the number of volumes extant.

The requests were worded in such a manner that the number of facsimile volumes were also reported, in addition to the original Porter books. I felt this was necessary in order to eliminate any confusion between the two editions.

The final count was 40 of the original Porter books. It is my opinion there are at least another fifty or so volumes that went unreported. In the past nine years I have become aware of an additional dozen copies in private hands.

In 1997, Bob Flynn indicated that he had sold over 3000 copies of the facsimile volumes, including the orignial 1000 books that he published.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes William: I must say the work you did on searching out Porter's book can only be deemed as admirable. When I read your article I was fascinated. Never did I expect so many copies to survive in Public Institutions such as libraries all over the country.

So, we can say without embarrassment that the real number in existence of Porter's original narrative may be upwards of 125 to 150 possible copies surviving-------- including those in private hands or resting on someone's shelf or attic unnoticed or unreported. Great study William, I can fully appreciate the work you placed into your search.

Perhaps I should not be so harsh on Mr Flynn. But I still think that he should have done a lot more than just pulling out the declaration page of 1000 limited copies when he printed out the additional ones. He should have at the very least changed the color of the binding, the size of the book, the format of the text, or all three. He should have made it plain that there was a difference between the two publications. This of course eats away at me. I found it very unethical and it painted a whole new picture of Mr Flynn, one that I could never trust again.

That being said, he did do a very good job in printing and binding the Porter reprint along with many other of his publications. As a matter of fact, he did a fantastic job. Would I ever buy another book from him-------------not if it said "Limited Edition". I could never be sure if it really was.

Thanks William.......

:smile: :oops:
Eric

Post by Eric »

mbhenty @ Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:00 pm wrote::smile:

Edwin H. Porter
US$ 3.00
My original copy, although in poor condition, yet original condition is in what appears to be blue cloth. Could this be due to age discoloration?? Also the floral pattern on the end pages appears to be blue also. Can add some pics if you would like. This is the copy I took to Antiques Roadshow a few months back.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Good day Eric. Boy that sounds interesting.......(!) I never heard of a blue copy of Porter's book. But who knows. Every time we investigate the history of Porter's book we learn something new.

Books of that era were often made in different colored cloth within the first edition run. The reason may be intentional, or as I have read many times, because the binder ran out of a certain color. I have several G.A Henty 1st edition titles done in more than one color. But this is usually true of books that were printed in great quantities. The Porter book had a small printing run.

Never heard of The Fall River Tragedy in anything but green cloth. Not sure if William or anyone else has, but as above, there is a copy being sold by a book dealer thru ABE site in which he describes it as having blue cloth.

Yes Eric, by all means............if you can post a couple of photos of the book cover, spine and end-papers it would be great. Thanks.

Eric

Post by Eric »

I will post a few pics tomorrow when I get home from work. I talked to my wife after I had posted and she took a look at the book. She thinks that it was originally green, and time has changed the color to a darkened blue. She said that she had seen that quite often when she worked at the National Fire Academy just outside of DC. They would archive many turn of the century books in protective binders to aid against deterioration. And that the bindings would look blued, but the end papers would tell the true tale, and color. My end papers look blue to me but green to her, you all can decide for me. I will post tomorrow. :shock:
william

Post by william »

Eric:

Your wife may be on the right track - some years ago I examined a Porter book that Dunn & Powell were offering for sale at a book show.

It appeared to have a "blue" cover.
RayS

Post by RayS »

Doesn't Amazon list a modern reprint for the price of $75?

Must be for a college course, that's about the right price these days.
It was Farmer William in the Bedroom with the Hatchet.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Sorry for the delay on this. I took a photo of the original next to the King Publishing reprint for comparison purposes. Hopefully you can see the change in color to "blue".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
darthvader

Post by darthvader »

I recently purchased what very well may be the best existing copy of this book. When I purchased it the dealer listed it in exceptional condition, and I was surprised, actually amazed, to how correct he was. I am not sure of other versions, questionable at best it seems, might be available but this book is a dark green. I suppose a sun fade might produce a blue look but from every account it is green.

The thing that got me is on the binding, it has a gold band on the top and bottom. On mine it is faded but still visible. My 1985 reprint does not have that!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Congrats darthvader. Yes, lucky, lucky, lucky.

Copies such as you describe are surely rare. If you go to the Hatchet Magazine, Vol. 3 number 2, you will see my copy, which I display in my article. May be fun to compare. Believe it or not, when I purchased my copy it came with remnants of a plain brown paper dust jacket. Though, I am sure it was issued without one, the jacket very well may be period.
darthvader

Post by darthvader »

Kewl stuff for sure!!

I did not get a period dust cover but was lucky enough that whoever had my Porter before me, knew what it was. It came with a heavy matching dark green case it slides into. I was very concerned with shipping but it came in perfect shape.

The only thing I do not have is a great story about how I found it. I went online, got some great advice from you great folks and paid up. :cool:
Kat

Porter Value?

Post by Kat »

mbhenty wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:58 pm :smile:

Congrats darthvader. Yes, lucky, lucky, lucky.

Copies such as you describe are surely rare. If you go to the Hatchet Magazine, Vol. 3 number 2, you will see my copy, which I display in my article. May be fun to compare. Believe it or not, when I purchased my copy it came with remnants of a plain brown paper dust jacket. Though, I am sure it was issued without one, the jacket very well may be period.
May I ask if this is always an active endeavor, or a periodical search of E-Bay etc for an original Porter. And does it still have the value quoted in 2007, or has it gone up or down? I'm curious.
mbhenty

Re: Do you own an original Porter?

Post by mbhenty »

Oops :!:

Just saw this.

Yes Kat:

I periodically, and on a daily bases, scrub ebay for any rare Lizzie items. Which seldom come up. One time I had not checked for some weeks and when I did there was an auction going on for a handful of books from Lizzie's Library... and signed, or should I say, initialed by Lizzie, as she did with many of the books she had. I came in late on the auction. Three or four books had previously been sold. There was like six or seven of them left. I won five of them. Each one cost more than the last. When bidders realized that I was bidding big bucks the price went way up. I paid 500 for one of them and gave it to Stefani as a gift. (Remember :!: it's not a gift unless it hurts)

Also in our possession is the Seabury Bowen family bible. What a find that was. On Ebay.

Porter's book I purchased at a book show out on Cape Cod, many, many years ago. For years now the price of a nice copy has been around 800 to just over 1000 dollars. There is one on Ebay right now as we speak as a "buy it now." It's in really nice condition for a book that is rarely found together. As is common all the gilt on the letters on the cover and spine has disappeared. And the paper inside is acid damaged which is also typical of this title. But still an above average condition.

Another item I found over the years on ebay was the salesman copy of Edwin Porter's book. What a find :!: I had never seen one ever come up for sale anywhere in forty years of collecting books. And the seller did not know what he had. He thought it was a defective book. The only one I have ever handled was at the Historical Society.

Here is the ebay link for the Porter on sale as we speak. https://www.ebay.com/itm/303704251937?h ... SwiS9fbV5a

Below are a couple of photos I took when visiting the FRHS, of Porters book along with a salesman copy. You can see how thin the salesman copy is. Posted is a photo of the title page from the salesman copy with Andrew Borden as the frontis and a page listing subscribers. (Also posted is the ebay sale for Porter's book as we speak) If I remember correctly, the Borden estate lobbied legally to have Andrew's image removed from the final publication. Is that right? I've forgotten more about this case than I can remember. Especially ever since I've lost interest in the case and moved on to other things. Still I visit often and try to stay engaged.

. :study:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you! The salesmanship copy is cool! I would like that better than the real original, actually, tho I don't collect books.
The topic was so old, as I was reading, of course all the e-bay sale links were no good, so I very much appreciate seeing a real auction! That's exactly what I wanted to see!
Yes, there was a notice in the newspaper prohibiting the likeness of Andrew Borden - and this salesman copy has 2!
Here's a link to an earlier discussion
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6327&p=100572&hilit=Porter#p100572
and the news blurb, below. Sorry the news item was not sourced :oops:
Lovelizzie75

Post by Lovelizzie75 »

I have seen a fee more come up recently and the price decreased a bit. I own 2 copies. One in rpugh shape and the other in great shape….
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Are original Porters still going for $800 to $1000 ?
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Hola! Nice to see you again, Fargo!
You just reminded me: I don’t know about the book :peanut16: prices, but I do know Stef and them reached the goal amount to get Porter a headstone! Yippeee! The wait now is only due to the weather…the ground has been “frozen” or too hard to dig this winter in Massachusetts!
Look for news update this Spring!
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Unmarked? Measure it and or use ground penetrating radar. Nice to see you too.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.