Lizzie Borden: The Legend, etc. by Arnold Brown

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

joe

Lizzie Borden: The Legend, etc. by Arnold Brown

Post by joe »

I have a copy of the original Brown book that I will sell to anybody who wants it. Used, library discard, but in decent shape w/dust jacket. $10 plus shipping to members of the Lizzie Borden Society. PM me if you're interested.
Joe
'97 Harley Road King with Gramma in the sidecar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. ~ Edgar A. Poe
RayS

Re: Lizzie Borden: The Legend, etc. by Arnold Brown

Post by RayS »

joe @ Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:27 am wrote:I have a copy of the original Brown book that I will sell to anybody who wants it. Used, library discard, but in decent shape w/dust jacket. $10 plus shipping to members of the Lizzie Borden Society. PM me if you're interested.
Joe
A local library book sale provided me with a copy for $1 in 1997.
Was "Professor Webster" the Harvard Professor who was convicted on murder based on just circumstantial evidence? Didn't he confess on the gallows?
joe

Re: Lizzie Borden: The Legend, etc. by Arnold Brown

Post by joe »

RayS @ Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:18 pm wrote:
joe @ Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:27 am wrote: Joe
Was "Professor Webster" the Harvard Professor who was convicted on murder based on just circumstantial evidence? Didn't he confess on the gallows?
The confession was not made directly by Webster. Rev. George Putnam claimed he got it from Webster, but I (and other historians) believe it was manufactured at the instigation of George Parkman's family.
Joe
augusta

Post by augusta »

I think Pearson wrote a chapter on that case in one of his books. I read it a little at a time and kept forgetting what happened when I did pick it up.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Ray...

It is an original. I will be happy to buy it for you. Just PM Joe and he can send me a Pm indicating the total amount due! If it is still available!
joe

Post by joe »

Audrey @ Mon May 22, 2006 6:03 pm wrote:Ray...

It is an original. I will be happy to buy it for you. Just PM Joe and he can send me a Pm indicating the total amount due! If it is still available!
Hi Auds,
I'll GIVE the book away. Who wants it?
Joe
augusta

Post by augusta »

Joe, you're sweet. But I wouldn't even take a copy of Brown's book for free. I have one paperback I bought when it first came out. I think Brown's book is at the bottom of the list of my Lizzie books - maybe on all my books.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Good reason to do your homework and shop around. Have no idea where this guy is coming from. Check out the A. Brown book. This is abe site. When you click on it scroll down to item number 8.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... 0&sortby=1

Arnold Brown's book is a 10 to 25 dollar book in hardcover with dust jacket.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

OMG...is this guy high ??? $340.96 ?????????? Is he related to ol' Arnie ???

Lizzie Borden (ISBN: 1558530991)
Arnold R. Brown
Bookseller: Aaron Brown
(Corpus Christi, TX, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 340.96
[Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 3.60
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: Book Condition: Acceptable. Published on or around: 1991. ISBN: 1558530991. Item Details: Lizzie Borden by Arnold R. Brown. My copy of this item is in typical used, acceptable condition or better. Bookseller Inventory # AC155853099134096

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Tracy:

There is no way that this book could cost as much. A limited edition has never been published that I know of. Even so, it would not be that much. Being just the standard first edition Hardcover it should not cost more than 30 dollars. The only thing that would make it valuable, in a special sense, is if Brown inscribed it to, lets say, a Lizzie Borden distant family member, or to another Lizzie Borden author. Or let's say it was Ray Bradbury's copy and signed by Brown to Ray Bradbury and signed by Bradbury etc. (Then it would be a Bradbury item not a Brown item) Even though it would not be more than a 60 to 100 dollar book in such cases.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Here's another interesting listing.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... 3&sortby=2

Mr Rebello and I laughed about it a couple of weeks ago, as he handed me a copy for 50 dollars. He still had a couple of copies left that were unsold. It will become a valuable book, but not until the author is sold out. After Mr Rebello sells out the market will begin to settle the worth. I purchased a copy last year on ebay for 48 dollars. Ebay has changed everything.

theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I received my copy from Mr. Rebello as well. It made my first trip to the Borden home one of the most exciting trips ever ! I get all excited just thinking about my meetings with Mr. Rebello. Such a kind and gentle man...and probably THE expert on things Lizzie.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Here's a funny story for you Tracy.

I purchased my first copy of Mr. Rebello's book at a book signing at the FRHS when Mr Rebello was launching his book. He and I had a short exchange about the case and one of the TV Stations overheard us. When I was about to leave they stopped me and asked if they could do an interview with me. The guy was standing there with the camara in my face. I had to decline and ask them not to film me. I was suppose to be working in New Bedford that day and drove to Fall River just for the book signing. To bad, what an interesting opportunity, to say nothing about being on the 6 oclock news that night. (But all I would need would be for my boss to see me on TV. We didn't get along and I would have been suspended for sure.)

joe

I may reconsider!

Post by joe »

Sheesh! And I ws going to give away my Brown book! Since it's woth it's weight in gold, apparently, I may have to reconsider my price. If I knew how to eBay, I guess I'd make the starting bid about $100. :lol:
Joe
1bigsteve

Re: I may reconsider!

Post by 1bigsteve »

joe @ Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:46 am wrote:Sheesh! And I ws going to give away my Brown book! Since it's woth it's weight in gold, apparently, I may have to reconsider my price. If I knew how to eBay, I guess I'd make the starting bid about $100. :lol:
Joe

I don't know, Joe. You may want to start at an even $1,000.00. After all, eBay sold a cheese sandwich with an image of Mary on it for something like $13,000.00. Or you could ask RayS. I'm sure he will fork out big bucks for a copy of Saint Arnold's book. :wink:

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
joe

Post by joe »

Ray said he didn't want it. Imagine that! Maybe you'e right. I'll start the bidding with a reserve of $10,000. 1st edition!
RayS

Post by RayS »

Audrey @ Mon May 22, 2006 8:03 pm wrote:Ray...

Is that offer still good? If not for me, for others?
It was Farmer William in the Bedroom with the Hatchet.
joe

Post by joe »

RayS @ Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:09 am wrote:

Yes, it is, Ray. I still have it. Keeping in mind that it is a library discard and is from the Ironwood Carnegie Library where I was the director for a few years.
If anyone wants it, PM me with your name and address, and I'll zap it off to you. I do, of course, have another copy. But this one will be the original Rutledge 1991 1st edition.
joe

Post by joe »

joe @ Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:12 pm wrote:
RayS @ Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:09 am wrote:

Yes, it is, Ray. I still have it. Keeping in mind that it is a library discard and is from the Ironwood Carnegie Library where I was the director for a few years.
If anyone wants it, PM me with your name and address, and I'll zap it off to you. I do, of course, have another copy. But this one will be the original Rutledge 1991 1st edition.
Darn, and Audrey wanted to buy it for you, Ray. Tooooo bad!
RayS

Post by RayS »

My copy is the Rutledge Hill Press version, as is the other copy in the library. I notice they will buy two copies of a new release, then after some years will sell one of them. For space considerations, the Brown book is a CLASSIC!
The others all try to convict the one person who was found not guilty!
PS
Has anyone else read James Neff's "The Wrong Man"?
RayS

Post by RayS »

My local library also sells discards, often books donated by people who have no need for them. A year ago they got a load of books published in the 1940s and 1950s. Estate?