Copy Of The Knowlton Papers On Ebay.

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

doug65oh

Copy Of The Knowlton Papers On Ebay.

Post by doug65oh »

Hmm... A copy of the Knowlton Papers is for sale on ebay... that's got to be a rare one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 56129&rd=1
Mark A.

Post by Mark A. »

I'm selling that one Doug. Let's see how it does!
Mark A.
Mark A.

Post by Mark A. »

I'm also selling a lot of other Lizzie/ Fall River books if anyone is interested. My e-bay ID is
gt-master2. Thanks for looking.
Mark A.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

You're the fly-boy wannabe, Mark?? :lol: Hopefully you'll get enough stowed away for the lessons. :wink: Good luck!!
Mark A.

Post by Mark A. »

Thanks Doug, God knows those lessons are not cheap.
Mark A.
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

I liked your write-up of the book Mark! when my
son teases me about all my Lizzie stuff I have to
show him quotes like yours!
deepriver

Post by deepriver »

I'm new to this site,I enjoy all the information here.It's going to take a long time for me to read through every thing.I would like to ask any of you,what is the knowlton papers and why is it so expensive and hard to get?Years ago I read everything I could get my hands on about Lizzie,( before computers and ebay )now I see there are many,many more books out there.I'm getting the fever again.Thanks
Kat

Post by Kat »

From the Preface,
Commonwealth of Massachusetts VS. Lizzie A. Borden; The Knowlton Papers, 1892-1893. Eds. Michael Martins and Dennis A. Binette. Fall River, MA: Fall River Historical Society, 1994:

"In August of 1989, Frank W. Knowlton, Jr. presented the Fall River Historical Society with his grandfather's collection of documents relative to the Borden case, preserved by his family through three generations. A cursory glance at the papers revealed their importance and it was decided by the Board of Directors of the Historical Society that they merited publication....all of the documents were...transcribed in their original form, despite errors...provides us with insight into each author's character and allows them all to speak to us in their own words after a century of silence."

There are also "personal notes of Attorney Knowlton, made upon his review of testimony pertinent to the Borden inquest and preliminary trial. It is assumed that these notes were made in preparing his strategy for the trial in June of 1893."

..."To further enhance the collection's usefulness as a research tool, two extensive glossaries have been compiled. Containing biographical and historical information pertinent to the documents...The first glossaries of their kind appearing in any publication on this case, they present those who plan further reasearch with a foundation on which to begin."

The book is almost 2" thick, although due to the format (Letters), not all space is accounted for. It is 554 pages, and has gilt edges on the paper and nicely bound. It also contains 31 illustrations. The letters are from doctors, lawyers, psychics, cranks, and thoughtful citizens. There is also correspondence between Knowlton and his boss, Pillsbury. These are fascinating and give a personal, behind-the-scenes look at the machinations of the Attorney General's office before the trial of Lizzie Borden.

BTW:
At
http://lizzieandrewborden.com/Resources ... hyCase.htm
You will find an extensive Bibliography with annotation.
deepriver

Post by deepriver »

Thank you kat.
jamfaws

Post by jamfaws »

Is it possible that the Knowlton papers book will ever be reprinted in paperback?
Kat

Post by Kat »

I hear yes -then nothing. I hear there are other projects as well, which might be taking up that time and funding.
Then every Christmas the FRHS puts Lizzie *away* and so that's only about 7 months of the year they spend any time on her.
I don't think I would bet on it.