Karen Chaney's book

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Angel

Karen Chaney's book

Post by Angel »

Amazon just notified me that "Lizzie Borden-New England remembers" by Karen Chaney can be shipped to me sooner than expected. Damnation- I didn't know that my alzheimers had gotten so bad- I honestly don't remember having ordered this book. And I don't remember where I heard about it. Did anyone here talk about it? I just may have to commit myself today to a quiet little nuthouse somewhere.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I've never heard of the book or author, Ellen, on this site or anywhere else. I wonder if it is any good?

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

This may help a bit.

viewtopic.php?t=1755&start=100

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I remember seeing that thread now. The fog is clearing. Murder1 didn't hang around very long. Hopefully Karen will come back for more visits soon.

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
Angel

Post by Angel »

Well, I read it. Small book, fast reading. Good introduction to the case, but nothing new. If anyone would like it I would be happy to give it to you. Just send me an address and I will mail it off. Can't keep adding on to my book collection in my small house.
Bob Gutowski

Post by Bob Gutowski »

It's worthless!

I got it this morning, and I've been zipping through it. The author starts by telling us that the cover photo, the Newport vacation shot of 1893, was taken prior to the murders (she also later identifies a three-quarter portrait of Lizzie as a "profile" view). The author does not take the time Geary does to state that many of the events of the morning are in dispute, but forges ahead, proclaiming without any doubt that Lizzie "walked downstairs dressed in a blue Bengalese (sic) silk skirt and blouse" and that "Abby told Lizzie that she had gotten a note from a sick friend that morning and was going out to visit her."

This book is as inventive as Lincoln's! One photo caption reads, "Lizzie as a young woman. She loved the theater, but rejected it for a higher calling to the church, primarily because she wanted to feel useful and accepted." References, Ms. Chaney?

Perhaps the book should be titled Lizzie Borden, As I Imagine Her.

UPDATE: A longer version of this post has been submitted as a review on Amazon, to warn the unwary.
Bob Gutowski

Post by Bob Gutowski »

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I would be happy to pass this book along. Does anyone out there want my copy, free of charge? First person to reply to this gets it.